SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun_shineee

Paint on the 4 edges of IKEA LINNMON tabletop give off irritating gas

sun_shineee
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I bought LINNMON Table Top, white, white stained oak effect 59x29 1/2 "

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/linnmon-tabletop-white-white-stained-oak-effect-20353741/

One week ago, the table top was delivered.

Once I assembled with legs, the first day I noticed the off gassing. After 2 days, I had to change to use another desk, while putting my monitor on the desk with IKEA LINNMON tabletop.

But such distance still gave me a hard time of the gas offing.

Every time I breathed, my nose and throat felt uncomfortable. My eyes felt irritated too.

I stuck my nose around the tabletop, and found out that the top and bottom surfaces were good. It was the white paint of the four edges that emitted the irritating gas.

I thought after 1 week things would improve.

But no. After one week, My eyes, nose and throat still felt irritated when I sat in the living room with the tabletop. My throat became so irritated that it felt like I had a cold.

I finally decided to disassemble the desk and removed the tabletop and placed it outside.

Now I feel much happier every morning to go into the living room with fresh air.

I tried to call IKEA, but never went through. And their emails only deal with order cancellation forms.

My question are:

How come paint can be such a source of such bad gassing? It is just a little bit of paint!

Is it toxic?

BTW, I have two pieces of other tabletops from IKEA, which didn't disappoint me even at the time I first assembled them.

How come some items are good, some not? Should IKEA have universal quality control to all of their products?

Is it because some items happen to have bad quality during production when some factories sneakily used bad quality resources?

I plan to do some air quality tests to find out what gas the paint emits. Any recommendations?

BTW, how to deal with the disassembled tabletop? Throw away or return (but never reached a real person when calling the IKEA customer service phone number)?

Comment (1)