SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhonda_furlong

I'm very upset and sad

Rhonda Furlong
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My elderly neighbor behind me is a sweetie. When I put the butterfly garden in 4 months ago I explained to him what the Dutchman's pipevine and passionvine were on my fence that faces his house. I showed him eggs and caterpillars and told him that they would be butterflies soon. He was very excited and told me how his wife, who is losing her sight, loves butterflies so much.I also told him that my vines would cling to the fence and lattice and that I would check on his side every now and then and trim up or tuck in any sticking out. I asked if he would not use and pesticides or weed killers around the plants and he assured me that he wouldn't.Well, all was going fine and Charlie and his wife enjoyed seeing the tons of butterflies. But, they are snowbirds and headed home 2 weeks ago. I assumed that he hired his usual lawn guy while he's gone. Wrong! He asked his neighbor to do it. This is the neighbor who since day one has been nasty to me regardless of how many times that I have tried to be friends so I finally gave up.I am in my garden every day checking for eggs and cats. 2 days ago, that pipevine on the fence facing Charlie's house was lush and covered in eggs and cats. Yesterday when I went out to the garden, it had turned dark brown! Overnight!I had seen the unfriendly neighbor mowing Charlie's yard 2 days ago but didn't think anything about it. But, yesterday when I discovered the brown plant, I noticed that all the grass a foot out from the fence was gone or dead. He must had weeded and sprayed.I walked right to that neighbor's house and explained what I found. He denied spraying the plant. I explained to him that it had been lush and covered with caterpillars the day before. He boldly exclaimed that if he had sprayed it he did me a favor because it would have killed the caterpillars! I explained that Charlie and I wanted those caterpillars since they become butterflies.I pulled the entire plant out yesterday afternoon after relocating the 3 remaining caterpillars onto another Dutchman's pipevine. I hope they live.Sorry for rambling but I just had to let my anger out.

Comments (4)

Sponsored