SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luis_pr

Owl home questions

luis_pr
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Post all the hints you can as I am only starting to learn about owls and the owl homes. I considered looking for a DIY owl house plan for the specific species but then realized I have no idea what types of owls are in my area (west of Dallas/Forth Worth International Airport). No idea of online sources with this info either. Hmmm, you know what? Since I am a klutz, I decided to forget about doing the homes from scratch. The Fire Department will be grateful. ;o)) Ha!

Something confusing though... How big are these birds that I tend to see in pictures? They look huge. But the entrance holes in owl homes look tiny (just a few inches) compared to the size of the owls (I have never seen an adult one up close; only owl decoys at Lowe's), which makes me wonder how big are they; can they get in there?

I will probably end up buying the owl home locally or online. I am considering cedar per online comments elsewhere but please chime in. Should I put several in the property? 1/2 acre? How far apart is enough? Which house styles are easy to place/hang/etc in trees or other places? I am a klutz so putting the house somewhere also has to be easier than operating a flashlight! ;o))

TIA! And stay cool and safe!

PS - this website https://birdfeederhub.com/owls-in-texas/ suggested that these owls may be present in my general north central location: Great Horned Owl, Barn Owl, Barred Owl and Eastern Screech Owl. How big of an entry hole would be needed by a house for the largest of these birds (25" for the GHO)

Comments (4)