SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bklyncitrus

Owari satsuma back from the dead

I got this like 2 years ago (Costco California) and finally bit the bullet after if fruited in October. While originally a tall and full tree and probably perfectly fine for planting in California ground. It had the most severe root choking I ever saw, large roots intertwined. It was also too tall and had no lower growth. I managed to shave 2 feet or more of height off the tree in stages and then did a SEVERE root pruning in October . It had very few leaves and pretty much didn't do anything until last month when it bloomed and gave new shoots all over. Its roots have stabilized in the pot. Hopefully it will stay well and now be more manageable, one low fruit baby fruit is hanging on and buds are swelling still.

Now I just ordered this character (another owari) from costco california - same grower i think and the rootstock has similar intertwining down under. I only did a cursory root pruning and washed as much of the yucky sandy sludge

potting soil off, which likely works fine in California - recipe for winter disaster here. (I also don't believe it was grown in the 15 gallon pot advertised - it had severe compacted fine lower roots like it hit a brick wall and has characteristic fat root intertwining, I think it was in one of those long narrow citrus pots and moved into a 15 gallon pot for sale......I spray painted this black root pruning pot so I can put this in full sun after it settles in.

Comments (13)