SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntrainer

New American Standard A/C System?

Nancy Trainer
3 years ago

My usual sources of solid consumer research (e.g. Consumer Reports) have failed me on this one and, sadly, even during the pandemic none of us at our house have taken the time to become experts on HVAC systems. (I know, I know, we should use our time more wisely!) But seriously, we are facing the big purchase of a new HVAC system since the old one is close to giving out and we have a big choice, mainly between the American Standard Gold 17 SEER air conditioning unit, and the American Standard Platinum 20 SEER air conditioning unit.

The difference in price is about $1,400 (after various rebates). The 20 SEER unit basically gets that efficiency by operating with a true variable-speed fan, adjusting in tiny increments to keep the air at a consistent temperature. The 17 SEER unit has a 2-stage fan, so it can adjust but only so far. The other difference is that while we could use our Nest thermostat with the 17 SEER unit, we would have to get a Nexia thermostat for the 20 SEER unit due to its complexity. I’m a fan of the Nest design, so I would sorta hate to see it go…. Anyway that’s the decision we’re looking at. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County