SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bradford_holt

Ficus Nitida or Podocarpus Hedge?

Bradford Holt
3 years ago

My backyard is very exposed - there's a concrete walkway that goes around the edge of the property that I'm removing and will replace with hedges. In the picture you can see the wall and neighbors property that I want to hide with the hedge. I'd love ficus nitida, but the landscape contractor who's removing the concrete initially recommended podocarpus (he wasn't opposed to ficus with the root barriers, but just felt podocarpus will have fewer issues).

The only pipe near the area is the sewer line that goes from the round hole in the concrete at the bottom of the picture diagonally away to a back house where my in-laws live (not in picture). The yard is 27 feet wide from the wall where I want the hedge to the back house. There's also irrigation pipes under the grass (and eventually where the hedges will be as well)

Has anyone had success with those deeproot root barriers with ficus? I definitely like the look of ficus better than podocarpus and it seems denser which would be an even better sound barrier (more for my neighbors benefit since they're quiet and I've got a 4 year-old daughter who I rough-house with in the yard).

My neighbor's property is all concrete - no grass or anything if that matters. The neighbor's back house you can see in the photo is up against the wall and then it's all a concrete from there to the front house which is about 10 feet from the property line.

My goals:

- A dense hedge along the side with my neighbors and against the back wall you can see in the picture. Around 10 ft high along the neighbor side and 15-20' along the back wall.

- Something that doesn't totally destroy the walls or my neighbor's house.

My heart says ficus but my head says podocarpus. Eager for any thoughts/experiences from others if those root barriers can give me what the heart wants!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH