SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

What is Cooking in Your Kitchen in July?

Today I have a chuck roast with potatoes, onions, carrots and seasonings cooking in the electric pressure cooker. I plan to make my cauliflower salad to go with it too. I do have some other recipes I want to make before long but for now this is what I am fixing. How about you, what is cooking in your kitchen?

Sue

Comments (45)

• phyllis__mn
    3 years ago

I had a lot of peppers in the freezer, and this year's crop looks great, so I decided to make pepper jelly with the frozen ones. Worked great.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked phyllis__mn
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Need to make bread today, but I probably will not. The plan for dinner tonight is mahi mahi cooked in the air fryer, a garlic mushroom rice pilaf cooked in the Instant Pot, chilled asparagus, and sliced tomato.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • Related Discussions

What's Cooking in Your Kitchen Today?

Q

Comments (15)
    I need to get up and get busy...have soup to make and laundry to do I'm thinking of trying that sugar free pumpkin cheesecake, but it calls for almond meal. I have almonds, but directions I've found for almond meal say to use a coffee grinder and flour sifter, and I have neither. I have a hand blender, I will try that. Only need 1/2 cup.
    ...See More

What To Cook In Your New Kitchen?

Q

Comments (0)
    Now that your kitchen remodel is complete, what are you going to make in that kitchen? I am cranking out lots of interesting recipes for those who like to cook. What are some of your favorite recipes? Post a picture below of some of the things you love to make. This is a Hawaiian Pork Sandwich made with pineapple and Fireball! Recipe Video >> https://youtu.be/lZjRORw_LOo Some of you may know me as "Flannel Guy DIY" on youtube. Greek Pastitsio Recipe Video >> https://youtu.be/hw_D3gA3vDg
    ...See More

What's Been Cooking In Your Kitchen?

Q

Comments (41)
    Finished turning my duck stock into soup, very happy with the result. At the moment, resisting the temptation to make gingerbread -- I've had so many treats already the past 2 weeks! The gray skies and dropping temps really make me crave something like that.
    ...See More

What is Cooking This Weekend in Your Kitchen

Q

Comments (41)
    I made breakfast when I got home this morning. It was a typical Sunday breakfast,which is bigger than normal as it is usually SOs only day off of the week. Rice,scrambled egg with cheese, homemade heart shaped biscuits,bacon,sausage,and fried potatoes for SO, just a piece of bacon and 2 scrambled eggs for me. Stopped on the way to work got a rotisserie chicken and some brocolli. I will eat some of the white meat and give the rest of the chicken to the little stray cats around here. SO says he will be in later(he comes through my workplace in order to do his job) and if he does,I'll make him either a chicken sandwich or a fish sandwich, his choice,and probably some fries to take with him when he goes. I bought him a pack of Grandmas peanut butter cookies on the way to go with it.
    ...See More
  • foodonastump
    3 years ago

Well it’s Friday, pizza day. Unfortunately, after buying a hundred-fifty pounds of flour my wife and I have decided to go on a low carb diet. I’ll make pizza for the kids though. Me, I see halibut is on sale at Whole Foods. I see some piccata in my very near future.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked foodonastump
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    3 years ago

Marilyn Sue - cauliflower salad? Do tell....

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Lemon grilled chicken breasts...so juicy and tender...the secret is to use just the rind of the lemon, not the juice which "cooks" the chicken and makes it tough.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

Getting very HOT here in SoCal. Thinking of Caesar salad tossed with strips of grilled tri-tip for tonight.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chloebud
  • sjerin
    3 years ago

There's a nice, easy caesar in the nyt times today--looks good.

Hubby is making "Daddy's chicken," as our kids used to call it, as I type. He's playing (internet) bridge with buddies for the rest of the day and doesn't like the way I make it. Lucky me!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sjerin
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bacon Cauliflower Salad

1 head of lettuce broken into pieces

1 onion sliced int0 rings

1 pound of bacon, fried and broken

1/2 to 1/3 head of cauliflower broken into pieces

1/4 cup sugar

1 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup parmesan cheese

Salt and pepper to taste if you like

The night before serving, lay lettuce, onion, bacon, cauliflower in layers in bowl with tight fitting lid. Over that sprinkle the rest. At serving time toss all together.

• DawnInCal
    3 years ago

Today I am making dilly beans. There are also two small avocados in the fridge that need to be used and I plan to make guacamole later.

Dinner is going to be leftover bbq chicken, veggie stand corn on the cob and a salad. I may also slice up some watermelon to go with our meal.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked DawnInCal
  • nicole___
    3 years ago

I'd never tried Jennie O ground turkey "Taco". It's pretty good! Made tacos. ☺

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nicole___
  • Claudesmom
    3 years ago

Yesterday I cooked 30 lbs of chicken breasts to have ready for the dogs. We might eat some, too, added into lentils or pasta. When I can get boneless/skinless chicken breasts for .99/#, I buy about 50# worth. It will last a few months. Also made a big batch of red beans and sausage, as well as lentil soup in the Instant Pot.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Claudesmom
  • stacey_mb
    3 years ago

A cold dinner for us today, roast chicken, salad, rolls and key lime pie for me for dessert and chocolate cake for DH. Our dessert is single-serve pieces that we purchase to save us from having to consume a whole pie or cake. ;-)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked stacey_mb
  • tvq1
    3 years ago

Cold dinner for us tonight too! Cold asian noodle salad with thin sliced tri tip steak on top. We eat meat/fish only one day a week, and this is our favorite "meat meal". Sometimes I'll make a couple of fresh Vietnamese summer rolls to go with.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked tvq1
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Nothing too exciting in the main or veggie departments. I made a dessert called "Whipped Jelly Traybake." Shortbread crust baked in an 8x8 inch pan. When completely cooled, dissolve a 3 oz package jello (any flavor) in 4 oz boiling water (this is much less water than normal). Set jello aside for 20 to 30 minutes. Then the fun part: add 1/4 cup powdered sugar to the jello and whip it until foamy and lighter in color, about 8 minutes if using a stand mixer. Spread over the shortbread crust, sprinkle with coconut if desired, refrigerate overnight. The cut bars were nice looking, the jello texture was like a sticky marshmallow. I think kids would enjoy making them. I'm thinking of a lime jello & coconut shortbread version next time.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nickel_kg
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

I have been hungry for beans. So I have the instant pot loaded with Cranberry beans and ham hocks and a little ham. I might cook rice to go with it or some French bread. I have some fresh Nectarines and peaches for dessert with a little scoop of yogurt.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

I made an omelet for breakfast this morning with a summer squash from the garden. A very small one. I'm going to pick two more that are out there tomorrow for breakfast again since I'll be leaving the next morning and I don't want to come home to any giant squash.

Tomorrow will bake some banana nut muffins to take on our trip and probably freeze some.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Kathsgrdn
  • Islay Corbel
    3 years ago

Salmon cooked like this https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-ultimate-grilled-salmon. It was strange at first because it's a little sweet but each bite got better. Next time I'll serve it cold with a spicy lime mayo.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Islay Corbel
  • happy2b…gw
    3 years ago

I have a pork roast for dinner tonight. Two daughters and their families are with me at the riverhouse, so the roast should feed everyone in one fell swoop. I also want to make one of the bacon pasta salad recipes included in another thread. The grands will like it.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked happy2b…gw
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

For dinner last night, I cooked mahi mahi seasoned with lemon pepper in the air fryer, garlic mushroom rice in the Instant Pot, sliced tomato and chilled asparagus. It was wonderful.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • adellabedella_usa
    3 years ago

Grilled cheese sandwiches made with seasoned french bread and sharp cheddar and tomato. I may make the dough for the cookies I am supposed to bake tomorrow.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked adellabedella_usa
  • Lars
    3 years ago

It's hot here, but we have good A/C, and so I made whole wheat lasagna.

Here a photo of the pasta, showing how I rolled the dough out to fit the shape of the pan:

Here is is after being baked:
    This made 6+ servings.

This time I rolled out each sheet of pasta just before putting it into the pan. The last time I dried the pasta, and it became too brittle. This way was easier, since it eliminated the drying step.

Annie, when I make lemon chicken, I also use the rinds, but I save the juice and add it after the chicken is cooked.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lars
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

I "cheated" yesterday and made individual pizzas for us - mushroom for DH and fresh cherry tomato/olive/basil for me, using puff pastry for the crusts. I hardly ever watch the Cooking Channel but was so bored the other day I watched a Pioneer Woman episode where she made some. Well ... It works! If one is truly craving pizza and not enough time to make a traditional dough, give it a try. 1/2 sheet per pizza, brush with a bit of olive oil, top & bake on parchment paper-lined sheetpan at 425° 15 - 16 minutes.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7
  • Lars
    3 years ago

I use flour tortillas to make quick pizza, or else ciabatta bread that I slice horizontally. The tortilla pizzas are more like a pizza quesadilla.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

Fruit Pizza last evening for a get croquet get together!

• hallngarden
    3 years ago

Today was chicken and dumplings. Peach cobbler and ice cream for dessert.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked hallngarden
  • marylmi
    3 years ago

It's been so long since I have made copper pennies, and since I had just bought fresh carrots, I decided to make some. They won't be ready to eat though until tomorrow. ☹️ Love them!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marylmi
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    3 years ago

I just made some elbow macaroni salad to have with BBQ ribs for supper. We have some fresh, sweet watermelon, too. There will be enough leftover for tomorrow. I don't like to cook on Sundays. We usually go out for a nice, leisurely lunch (but that's become hard to do).

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

Tonight is Ribeye steaks from our Hereford herd, grilled teriaki shrimp, and from the garden we'll have some baked French Fingerling potatoes and a grilled veggie medley with onions, cauliflower, broccoli, various peppers, garlic, beets, and eggplant.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Tonight will be grilled chicken thighs, and green beans with new potatoes. Cantaloupe for dessert. The cantaloupes have been excellent this year, not sure where they are from but hope the trend continues.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nickel_kg
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

skibby, me too!! :-)

• Lars
    3 years ago

We're having grilled colossal shrimp this evening with Romaine lettuce & tomato salad - sushi for lunch. Tomorrow we are having grilled sockeye salmon with asparagus and Monday we will have grilled turkey breast with potatoes, mushrooms, and spinach. I also bought some spicy Italian turkey sausage to have later, but we will smoke it on Monday with the turkey breast.

I would also like to visit Lone Jack!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

OK, everyone is invited but you have to get here by 7:00 pm CDT. I'll go out and dispatch another steer.

Lars - bring some of that colossal shrimp! How big are colossal? Are they like 4-6 count to the pound (ie. Prawns)?

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

Lone Jack, how long do you hang your beef? (Serious question as there is a lot of debate around here as to proper hanging time!)

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

Ediej - this last time (late April) it was only 2 weeks because the Amish butcher was overbooked with people wanting to bring in their animals. In normal times it is 3-4 weeks dry aged.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Fresh tomatoes are coming in, so lots of tomato sandwiches and I eat a lot of salad tricolore these days. Tonight is a chicken kabob with red peppers and onions and a side of grilled squash. Last week I made a fresh peach cobbler. It was wonderful with a crispy cookie like topping. Believe it or not I have lost almost 5 lbs.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked OutsidePlaying
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

Lone Jack, thanks. I always thought 3 - 4 weeks but my son's FIL who used to raise beef says 2 weeks is long enough. I don't think it fully bleeds out properly in that short a time.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    3 years ago

It is National Mojito Day so I'll bring those.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

To get this thread back on track, tonight we are having chicken & dumplings accompanied by a Magda Squash from the garden.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

Will be putting up a bushel of corn next week, should make about 8 quarts.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • donna_loomis
    3 years ago

Cold dinner tonight. I made a large salad and diced a previously cooked pork chop and an egg for the top. That doesn't mean I didn't cook today. I heated up the kitchen by decarboxylating 8 cups of cannabis, then simmering it for several hours in coconut oil to make a large batch of balm for my hubby. It really does help with the back pain.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked donna_loomis
  • ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Speaking of colossal shrimp

Rocky Point shrimp

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ci_lantro
  • Lars
    3 years ago

The colossal shrimp I bought were 15 shrimp per pound. I bought six, and so it was 0.4 pounds. I cooked them with cayenne, garlic, butter, lemon juice, and Cajun seasoning. I sliced open the back before grilling them, but I left the shells on so that they would not dry out.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    3 years ago

My brother recommended the no knead yeast bread, so I will make it mid week when the weather cools down. I actually found yeast in the store today!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

Tonight's dinner will be the first BLTs of the year from a home grown tomato. I picked a 3/4 lb. Chocolate Stripes yesterday. Served with the last of the Provider green beans.