SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_591242

Variegated Sans Hahnii: Seems I'm a Gluten [Glutton] for Punishment

KarenS, NYC
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I saw another one yesterday & bought it. It was the only one in a local flower shop where I'd found a nice Gasteria several yrs. ago. Stuck in a corner, barely visible, seems like it was waiting for me.

Look how handsome.

Since it's bone dry, I was able to lift it right out of its pot.

Perhaps a good watering so I'd be able to crumble off all the mix for a repot w/ more fast draining mix.

Opinions pls folks: agree, disagree or something else?

Comments (30)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago

Roots look quite good to me. And plant too.

Can't help - killed same one after having it for about 8mo...just went very slowly down the hill, even if I tried repotting etc. So no more fancy sans for me!!! Wil stick with Moonshine and Cylindrica that are doing well with me.

I am sure you can do better than me!

KarenS, NYC thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • robinswfl
    3 years ago

I would buy that in a heartbeat. I have bought Sans with roots that weren't half as good. And the leaf markings are beautiful! I only have 2 hahnii right now. One is a regular all-green, a pretty sturdy little guy, and the other is a marginata. I have not done well with hahniis in the past, but in the last two years, I gave up on gritty mixes for them and have started keeping all my Sans (even the longer, taller ones) in C/S blends of 50/50 "soil" with pumice. So far, no fatalities. The marginata recently grew 2 new pups and so receive a new pot.

I know Stush has stopped using it in favor of using his own compost, but I am still using his trusty old formula of alfalfa and potassium with my Sans and it has delivered very good growth.

KarenS, NYC thanked robinswfl
  • popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 years ago

I have no advice but I love your persistence!

KarenS, NYC thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    3 years ago

I love that your autocorrect decided to use gluten for glutton. 😊

• KarenS, NYC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Rhizo, long time no see,

Gosh, I missed that completely & I was a word processor for many yrs. Then too, I guess I never wrote glutton before, how embarrassing. I was so focused on the plant, that I missed that!

Should I leave that up for the laugh of the day?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago

Karen

Just a side note (I do not go to Sans forum...): I recently became aware of reclassification of Sans into Dracaena....thinking all you Sans growers know for a while. Seems too different to call Sans Dracaena now...I believe most ppl stick to Sans name?

• Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy
    3 years ago

I have been saying this for months but no one uses the correct name. Oh well

• robinswfl
    3 years ago

For some of us, Sansevierias will ALWAYS be Sansevierias. Reclassifying a Sans to be a Dracaena is a formality that, in truth, matters not one whit to me. I cherish some of my Sans and hope I have them forever.

• hellkitchenguy Manuel
    3 years ago

I'm also a glutton for punishment. I bought two about a month ago as soon as the market opened. I now treat them as annuals. I will enjoy it until it decides to die

KarenS, NYC thanked hellkitchenguy Manuel
    3 years ago

Does this mean they are now very common since they are now dracaena?

• KarenS, NYC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi All,

Glad you like my newest handsome friend, the textile designer in me just loves those thin stripes on the leaf edges (me too Robin).

Well Manuel, I can't blame it on you this time ;>) Great minds think alike, huh. Considering it an annual, that's pretty funny.

Yes Rina & Mike FLFG,

The name change was discussed at Sans forum in the last several months. Tho' Robin beat me to it, I can't see that it matters either. Perhaps in formal plant shows &/or competitions it might matter, but otherwise I can't see where it would. If I ever give another talk on Sans, I would certainly mention it for the sake of correctness (?). But really, otherwise who cares?

• woodnative
    3 years ago

This one 'Jade Dwarf Marginated' actually seems MUCH easier to grow than some of the other hahni types......or at least certainly much easier than 'Golden hahni'. I don't have one at the moment because of space, but may end up getting another at some point. I like the contract between the solid, dark green leaves and contrasting yellow margin. I have had good luck with these hahnis kept right on the windowsill. Even in winter I water them fairly regularly (though always in the morning and avoid wetting the leaves in winter) but in the relatively small pots they dry again quickly.

• KarenS, NYC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here's what I found on unpotting, a super peaty mix.

Lost a few roots, inevitable.

But look what a nice surprise I found down below.

Adorable little Pup right down below the mix.

OK Woodnative, pls help me out here, I'm abt to repot.

What would you suggest pls? Am assuming a C&S mix, or should I keep any of that peaty mix?

If I understood correctly, I though I understood Stush to have recently stated he's keeping a portion of his compost (I thought more soil than gritty) in his Sans pots.

Would you suggest a clay or plastic pot? I'm really at a loss here & am open to suggestions from others who've been able to grow this one.

• woodnative
    3 years ago

Hi Karen-

I have used both plastic and clay pots successfully. I think in the smaller sized pots these hahnis are generally grown in that the difference between the clay and plastic is much less significant than it is in larger pots. I do have a preference for clay just because they have a bit more weight to them (and I am therefore less likely to knock them off the windowsill). I like some extra drainage but don't really like the "gritty mixes" personally. I have better luck with them in soils with a bit more peat/substance.......though maybe not as peaty as the soils in which they are commercially produced (these are so hard to rewet when the dry out). I usually use a commercial cactus mix with some extra perlite and/or course sand added, and maybe a bit of extra compost from my garden thrown in the mix. All soil used is entirely Gluten-free! : )

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    3 years ago

Karen, Just my way I would do it. Plant it up in a little bit bigger pot, leave the root ball alone and use the gritty mix all around it. Root are growing well and would migrate into it. That way the roots would receive all the needed air to keep the roots healthy. Since you have so much trouble with this type, why not try another way. My hard leaf Sans love the gritty mix style but my more tropical flat leaf kind love the peaty mix soil.

BTW, I love your find. Best of luck with this one.

• KarenS, NYC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks guys, I ended up going to a slightly larger pot, used mostly the end of C&S like mix lying around, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 volume of its original peaty mix, having sifted out the finer stuff.

To me, the color pops much better in a green pot than red.

But then yes, stability of a clay pot is always welcome too.

Thanks again, guys, I'll wait a couple of days & then bottom water it, so I don't risk getting any water in the lovely crown.

Gluten free indeed ;>)

3 years ago

I would have opted for a little larger pot. Mine out grew even a size (six) inch pot in one year. Have to water in a tray due to no side open enough to water.

That is a very nice plant you got.

KarenS, NYC thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • KarenS, NYC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

A size ____? inch pot Stush? I just caught that.

Gee, I hope this guy lives long enough to need a bigger pot. That'd be lovely!!!

But Stush, if this doesn't work, I'll try your suggestion next time. If I'd seen first, I might have tried it here.

3 years ago

Esther,

Proves my point that hahnii grow much better when left alone to multiply. Looks great.

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    3 years ago

Thanks, Stush. I really am thinking that the Hahnii needs to be repotted into some fresh soil, simply because it's been like a couple years since I did that.

3 years ago

i love your dracaena collection ester!

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    3 years ago

Hi, Mike. As far as I know, what's in the photo is my golden Hahnii, a small haworthia in the front, a crassula on the left, a warty gasteria on the right, a cactus behind that, and just peeking in from the right is a sans similar to ping.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago

Esther

I am not sure. but Mike could be referring to your Seansevieria - which has been reclassified as Dracaena...

3 years ago

Oops sorry Esther. Yes they are now dracaenas! i know it needs some getting used to

3 years ago

I remember they tried to remove the inches and feet measurement and replace with metric and it failed to happen. Same with Sansevieria. We will not accept new name dracaena. But thanks Mike for correcting us. And as things go, maybe next year they will change it again to something else.

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    3 years ago

I apologize for being totally off topic, but I just wanted to say that, as a bread baker, I like anyone who's a gluten for punishment :-)

• KarenS, NYC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks SLD, how silly did I feel? I bake cakes & love my Gluten ;>)

And all my plant friends w/ a sense of humor!

Hi Stush,

I was in Textile School (college) in the late 70s. In textile manufacture, it's all abt the Math. How much Length to equal 1 lb. of Weight.

Each different kind of fiber, cotton, silk, wool, nylon, poly, etc. all have a different ratios. Because the rest of the world refers to textiles in metric, the industry went nuts. Just the US & the UK used non-metric. Am guessing the UK is metric now since they're part of the EU.

I will go to my grave knowing certain conversions. 40 yrs. later, I still know it's:

2.54 cm to 1 inch;

39.4 inches to 1 yard; &

454 grams to 1 lb.

Not that it does me any good, but still.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago

We use metric system in Canada - one gets used to it eventually.

I came to Canada from Europe, where we always used metric system. Had to learn imperial system...by the time I was finally getting comfortable with it, Canada started using metric...

3 years ago

I was extremely good at math but no memory. I had to derive the formula each time. I'm worst at spelling. Thank God for spell checker. Some times it doesn't have a clue what I'm trying to spell.

This typing and spelling helps keep my mind working. More that just gardening help here.