SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Xero shoes?

Kathsgrdn
3 years ago

Anyone wear them? I just got my first pair. They are supposed to be good for your feet, wider toe box and no unnatural supports inside to weaken your foot. I don't know if that's true but decided to try them. I got the Hana so I could wear them at work.

Comments (20)

• pudgeder
    3 years ago

Never heard of them. Let us know how they work, please.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I’m always interested in comfortable shoes. I have a small wide foot with high arches. Never fun looking for shoes.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Hadn't seen them before, but they look good...remind me of my LEM shoes...flexible, flat, wide toe box.

• Annegriet
    3 years ago

Kath--let us know how you like them. I have custom orthotics in my shoes because of pronation. But then I developed all kinds of problems with my tendons so I was told to wear Dansko clogs (which I love). But then I got plantar fasciitis and was told to wear Birkenstocks. Keenes work okay for me too. I am always looking for good shoes.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I wore them inside the house the rest of the day yesterday and so far so good. They're a little loose on my feet but not annoyingly so. They come in even sizes so I ordered the half size up from what I wear normally. I like the wide toe box. I've been wearing nothing but tennis shoes for years because of foot pain. The the most comfortable for me has a pretty narrow toe box, Saucony. My big toes are now starting to point toward my other toes instead of being straight. Going to wear the Xeros to work tonight with socks and my compression stockings. Will let you know how they work out.

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago

I’m curious about how you will like them. I have been looking at these shoes as I’m following a couple of gait and foot people online. I have a variety of foot and achilles issues and think they could help me. I’ve been wearing very supportive but cushiony, running type shoes, including a pair I reserve for wearing in the house. My achilles problems seem to have gotten worse, so I’ve switched over to very flat, but with good arch, Olukai sandals. My achilles are already feeling better after just a few days, so i think the Xero shoes just may work for me.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Have you tried, or thought of trying, custom fitted orthotic inserts? They help a lot of people. They're not cheap but are sometimes covered in whole or in part by medical insurance.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If you're talking to me, Elmer, then yes I have been using inserts for years now. My feet still hurt. Even after getting injections into the worst one about a month ago it still hurts. I also have thick calluses on both feet above the heel on the bottom toward the sides and I think it's from the inserts rubbing there.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Yes I was, kathsgrdn. Were they fitted by an orthotist or podiatrist? If yes, I'm surprised to hear they weren't helpful for you.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, but have bought subsequent ones (same brand/size) from Amazon since then.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I don't think we're referring to the same thing. When I had a bout of tendinitis in my foot, the foot/ankle surgeon had me fitted (by an orthotist) with custom made orthodics. The starting point was taking casts of each of my bare feet, using some kind of plasticizing goo. I had to come back a few days later for the final adjustments. They'd made a series of positives and negatives that resulted in thin but very rigid plastic inserts for my shoes to which they'd added booster areas and cut out relief areas on the side facing the foot and also had rigid shim-like things in different places on the bottom to orient my foot a certain way. They provided great relief and hastened healing. And had a gross cost of nearly $700 but reduced for the insurance billing. Worth every penny.

Similar custom orthodics are often used for plantar fasciitis and other foot maladies.

Such things surely can't be purchased on Amazon because they're custom made.

• Annegriet
    3 years ago

What other catalogs/websites do you guys use for good shoes? I like the Walking Company.

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

After a year-long bout of plantar fasciitis, I started wearing Easy Spirit Traveler fitted with various drug-store level (Dr. Scholl's) arch support inserts with good success. I have short, wide, high-arched feet that are hard to fit. I'll be following this thread to see how you like the Xero shoes long term.

I would like to have custom orthotics made, but I would need several pair because I wear a different pair of shoes depending on my location.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No Elmer, not custom made but the doctor recommended them.

I wore the shoes last night to work. Promptly stepped out of my car in the parking lot into a wad of gum. Nasty people, why do people spit their gum onto the pavement? Tried to get it off by putting the shoe in the freezer overnight but it is so ground into the crevices that it didn't work. Anyway, the shoes are so far comfortable. Will keep you all posted.

Annegriet, I've tried the Walking Company and bought sandals there quite a few years ago but when I went back for good walking shoes last summer every brand I tried on had really big heels, making my heel slide all over the place.

Jupidupi, I think my shoes are okay looking. They do look funny compared to other shoes because most manufacturers make such tiny toe boxes and these are perfect for a human foot. https://xeroshoes.com/shop/shoes/hana-women/

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Try custom made if you can swing it. I'd tried the retail types and they did nothing for me. There's really no comparison for many foot conditions.

Kathsgrdn thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • joann_fl
    3 years ago

eld6161 ....... I also have a small wide foot. The only ones I usually have no problems with are Sketchers. I have to order all my shoes online.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Joann, I have had problems with Sketchers, just gave a fairly new pair to my daughter because of it.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Joann thanks but sketchers don’t work for me. I have tried.

• joann_fl
    3 years ago

I guess we are just all different. I am still on a perfect shoe search. I don't think they are out there. All shoes hurt my feet.