will a barn owl attack my pekingese or pug?

HU-122305285

i want a barn owl to move into my garden but i'm worried it will attack my dogs one weighs 5 kg (the pekingese who is fluffy and stupid) the other is a 10 kg pug. i am in south Africa if it helps. this is my first foray into bird watching so please excuse my ignorance.

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

Unlikely. Bigger owls might but this is a medium sized owl. Rats are about the biggest prey for them although they may grab a chicken on occasion.

tj

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet

Being a slightly neurotic person, I would never leave a small pet outside alone, because of some big birds. When I used to have chickens, who were essentially my pets), I was on a chicken forum. One person told of the time that a young girl was holding her chicken and talking to her dad, right in front of her, and a hawk swooped down and grabbed the chicken. So....I just would be extremely careful in protecting a very small pet.

Save    
We are dedicated to providing an exceptional client experience from beginning through completion. Proudly serving... Read More
Our installers & technicians have decades of experience in residential & commercial spaces. We carefully deploy... Read More