SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananadoc

Need help with property line border to commons

3 years ago

Around 4 years ago I posted here about planting to gain some privacy to my back yard. Life intervened and I didn't get anything done on that project, but I’m back with some new ideas and looking for advice.

We are fortunate to have a yard that backs onto a common area, but this brings some problems with landscaping and although the commons isn't extensively used, we’d like more privacy and also to add some character to our square yard.

Years ago I planted beds of shrubs in a boring line on the south and north property lines. I’d like to make those beds more interesting by adding more shrubs and widening the beds. The main problem is the open property line facing the commons. We are in SE Michigan and our house faces east west. The back yard is to the east.

I want to mostly close off the property line while still leaving an entrance to the commons – probably on the south side where you can see the miscanthus at the end of the bed. This bed was planted 20 years ago, accidentally 6 feet into the commons and has been under dispute for the least 4 years (long absurd story!). Finally I've been told we can leave it where it is! You can see we did put a small border on the north side with a dogwood and some hydrangeas that are not doing well. Most of that area is under the shade of the huge willow. The rest would be in full sun.

My idea is for a mixed tree/shrub border. I would love a redbud and a river birch. I love hydrangeas and rhododendrons In terms of design – what shape the bed should be and how the plants should be laid out, I am clueless! I would have done it months ago if I wasn’t stuck with design anxiety 😆 Our kids are college age and we don't need a huge lawn, so I'm happy for the bed to be as wide as it needs to be. I’m also wondering whether to curve it in and have a small secluded seating area where we can catch evening sun. The area around the patio also needs some work, but the rear bed is my priority right now. If these photos don't give enough detail I’m happy to take more. Thank you!

Comments (17)