SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Planning a Yard Fence for Border Collie and Children

enduring
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have been planning to fence the yard again, after several decades of no fencing in the yard. DH and I would be installing this fence, as DH has loads of experience with fencing for livestock both cattle and hogs. We used to have a yard fence in the same area that I am proposing now. The trees have gotten larger so the perimeter has enlarged in one direction, but essentially the same. I will add a scaled (fairly well) drawing to the post. Also some images of the yard.

We live on a working farm. I need a space for our Border Collie, Kate, who is intense and needs space to be out of the kennel and can play with our daughter's dog (who can't be off leash). Kate is currently at the trainers and competes in cattle trials. We have cattle but don't know how to herd her. We might be getting too old to learn, lol. So we need a safe place for her when she is at our place and not in training. I have worked with her on obedience but can't leave her to her own, off leash, devices near our house, or she is in our cattle lot tormenting the cattle!

I am thinking of a 5' tall black vinyl chain link fence. The area is about 5,500 sf. Do I need to have a 6' fence instead? 3 walk through gates and 2 drive through gates. I am thinking I'd like a bottom rail too, to prevent pushing though at the ground level, and as a protection for the links from abrasion when using a trimmer. I plan to breed Kate, and hope to have a litter in the next year, so I need a good fence for puppies too.

This is a tiny post-it note drawing. Each square is 10'. The small black squares are walk through gates x3. the larger rectangles, crosshatched are drive through gates x2. The block in the lower left is the house.

The house is about 22-24' wide in this shot. walk through gate would be just to the right of the concrete pad:

Looking east, this is where another walk through gate would be, between the tree and the power pole. The drive through gate would be to the left side of image, perpendicular to this view:

This view is looking up to the southwest corner of the house, where the fence will terminate. The tree to the left is about where the southwest corner of the fence will be located. This tree will be gone next week as it is dying of emerald ash bore. The hackberry on the right stays and is well within the yard area to be fenced:

This is the ash tree that will be removed and this view is straight north. The black maple will stay, it is about 15' feet from the house:

View looking east to the house, half way down the slope to the road. The fence will terminate at the corner of the house. We used to have a gate in between the 2 foreground trees, but won't this time, as the county is getting more traffic, and don't really need it for walk through:

Comments (16)