SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestdesignenthusiast

Deck and Patio together - A harmonious design

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Dear Design experts/Houzz readers,

I could use your help! We currently have a structurally sound large deck and it houses our conversation set (sofa/chairs/ottoman etc). It is not big enough to also contain a dining area. So we are looking to extend the outdoor space by adding a patio. My vision is to have the patio include dining for up to 8 people and a fire pit with a stone seating around a portion of it. Few design decisions that I'd love to have you weigh in, especially if you have a good eye for design.

1. Can the deck and patio stay, or must i have to tear out the deck to replace it with larger patio? (This will drive up the pricing. By how much I dont know)
  2. The current deck railing - If I keep the deck, does the railing cause too much of distraction for patio? Should I keep it OR as a compromise, remove the railing altogether OR replace it with a cleaner looking deck railing that causes less distraction and let the trees be the center of attention?Or replace it with a bench around the perimeter of the deck?
  3. The patio material - flagstone look or standard paver patio like unilock in square/rectangular stones?
  4. Color - Should I pick a lighter color(like sandstone/buff) to match the deck or go with black/gray color or a combo? I am looking for the pop but still keep everything harmonious. Can I introduce reds as long as I stay away from the brick red of the chimney?
  5. Patio shape - Should I match the deck's geometrical shape and keep hard angles, or a rectangular patio with a circular fire pit space attached to it?I'd love a patio with a curve but I dont know how it would work with the deck's shape.
  6. Fire pit location - Should it be to the left of the fireplace chimney or near the tree? I ask this because I am wondering if the stone seating bench around the fire pit would be a distraction with the deck railing infront of it (when viewing it from inside the house)
  7. How do I get the bang for the buck design wise? I hate to spend all this money to get a patch of flooring. How do I create the wow factor (without creating a disjointed look with the deck) all the while making sure its going to enhance the backyard view ? Pillars around the semicircular seating platform? Should I provide a backrest for the bench? Anything else? Water fountain (store bought Vs built in? etc)

View from the Kitchen

View from the wooded area

Inspiration picture. The bench has a backrest too. Would that be nice or would not add to the look? Also, how about the color of the paver floor?

Exterior · More Info

If its the flagstone like the below Vs the nicely structured pavers in the above picture.

Patios and Pavers · More Info

I thought the below is a bit too plain looking. Is it because the bench is missing? No idea why I feel that way.

Patio · More Info

Thanks for all your help in advance!!

Comments (3)