SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin_hawver

Do you think this tile job is botched?

Erin Hawver
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi friends, I am in need of some advice/opinions.

We are currently undergoing an entire home reno, completely gutted the inside and rebuilding. Everything has gone pretty well so far, but emotions are quite high as even though it’s been relatively smooth sailing, we’re two months along and are as stressed as ever— which is why I’m seeking outside opinions from those who I hope are in a slightly more sound mental space than we are!

Contractors finished up the kitchen backsplash yesterday. First reaction from my husband is horror. He thinks it looks terribly crooked, and they did a botched job. My biggest issue is the grout color is way darker than I anticipated— I requested a light, whitish gray, and it looks a lot darker now that it’s on.

Some areas of contention are around the window (see directly around the frame). That I know isn’t great, but if we trim out the window it’ll cover up the wonky areas and shouldn’t be too noticeable.

Directly to the right of the window we’re installing two floating shelves, so once those are up and filled with items, that whole area will be pretty OK in my opinion. I keep telling him that after all appliances are installed, outlet covers are on, it will look much better but he’s not agreeing.

Other than the cuts around the outlets and the window frame, I don’t think it’s bad at all, but maybe I’m being to nice. I’ve been running the whole show in regards to the reno, so I will have to be the one ultimately having the convo with the GC and am just not sure how to approach it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated— thank you!!

Comments (25)