SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waltonglade

Replacing bedroom carpets with....what?

waltonglade
3 years ago

I realize this is hard to answer without all the details but I'm just looking for a general opinion at the moment.

Our place has engineered hardwood throughout the living area, which is in pretty decent condition. It's no longer sold, can't be sanded down, and would be extremely difficult to match due to the color variations https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Warm-Cognac-Curupay-Engineered-Sch%F6n-DURENWC6/10006762.

This floor butts up to the bedrooms, which are carpet that needs to be replaced. Options are:

1) replace with new carpet, in which case we need something that's easy to care for and clean (pets...) but not full of off-gassing chemicals (not easy to find)

2) replace the whole floor, in which case due to cost we probably couldn't stretch to hardwood, so it would have to be some kind of LVP product throughout. This would be easy to care for but increases the off-gassing aspect (not to mention being pricey and a big job to live around)- and maybe be a downside for future resale

3) replace just the bedroom carpet with a completely different wood product (it would need to be a completely contrasting color since we can't get a match)

4) as 3) but replacing with some kind of LVP product (which I assume to be less pricey than wood)

Options 2) and 3) are probably out right now since we may not be in this place long enough to justify the cost. So- new carpet or new LVP?

I think I'd prefer LVP and some floor rugs, but would like to get opinions as to whether it would be perceived as odd to have 'real' wood living areas butting up against bedroom LVP in a different color.

- How would you make this look 'intentional'?

- Would it be easier if both flooring materials were 'real' wood, rather than one being LVP?

This is a fairly entry-level, single level home in a cookie-cutter neighborhood. Again, just looking for initial reactions at this point. Thanks

Comments (10)