SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stoutpowers

Hideous roof color with hideous siding

Tracy Stout
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have the ugliest colored roof installed. It looked a lot darker in sample. It looks like I tried to match it up with the ugly siding and failed. I don't know what to do. I could put new siding up, or perhaps stacked stone halfway up, but I don't know what color because the roof is a putrid clay color. I'm in the midst of landscaping the front.I'll paint or change out the vinyl, but what color?

Comments (60)

• roccouple
    3 years ago

I am thinking blue siding could be really cool. With bright white trim. But there are better color experts here! You may get more ideas. If you have a sample of your roof material that might help you find colors

The siding plus roof are really bad together but I think this is salvageable. And even cool in some ways with the long overhangs and simple profile. I think you could have a charming place with the right paint and landscaping.

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

The house is really cute and the color of the roof and siding are "basic" so I would not change eigher.

I would leave them be and work on other things.

The shutters are way too small, I would remove them and beef up the trim around the windows.

Remove the fence, it looks tacky.

Remove the oval decoration and plant a tall ever green there, plus taller plants around the foundation.

Get nice big house numbers for on the right of door.

With better landscaping this will be a gem.

• Related Discussions

Hideous 'before' pix of my barn, needs new siding

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks for loving my barn, Sheila. I love it, too! The contractor took more measurements a few weeks ago and called yesterday about color choices, which gives me hope that this might actually happen. Around here, it's hard to find someone willing to work a non-antique barn. We're going with metal siding (sigh). I would have loved wood board and batten, but the upkeep/intial labor costs/potential insect damage issues made my husband balk, so I compromised. Of course we'd use wood if it was a gorgeous old barn, but on this structure metal should be fine. We're planning on a classic dark red, with medium tan trim. I'd love to put a cupola on it, but that might be too silly. Although the top of the barn is visible from the road and I feel like a cupola with a weathervane would really dress it up.
    ...See More

Please help with hideous exterior

Q

Comments (22)
    Lascatx: I will ask the painter about 2 coats of primer - it sounds like a great idea especially since the exterior is so dark right now. Also love the potted plant suggestion, we have a florist in town that does some amazing things with succulents. I've been wanting to use them in my landscape this could be a good place to try them. For color, maybe even a window box or two? yayagirl: I have some kilz leftover from another project, may put some up just to see what happens! There are so many different types of kilz, did you use kilz complete? The painters I've worked with usually don't use it, I don't know why but I will ask. Martinca: thanks for tracking down that photo, what a beautiful house! I like the grey with turquoise trim, my husband wants to go bolder with key west type color, we'll have to wait and see how the samples look. kswl: Hm, I was thinking of a vine going up the roof supports, but if we could economically make them more substantial that would definitely look good.
    ...See More

Has anyone ever seen siding color of "Clay" with Blue Roof!!!

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks for the input so far. I appreciate your photos & recommendations Flo. Denita, I had to laugh out loud when you mentioned colorblind. Sometimes I do think my h is. I once had a boyfriend that I did not know was color blind until I went shopping for clothes with him once, I am posting a photo of the home we just purchased this past summer. It needs lots of attention inside and out, but hopefully you can see the "Clay" color of the siding which is more of a taupe. Black or dark brown roofing would go nice, but we do not want green. I would love to change the siding which would not be my choice if I had purchased it. Hopefully your computer screen will show the color accurately to some degree.
    ...See More

Hello, I'm not sure what vinyl siding color to choose

Q

Comments (9)
    since you dislike the brick color, why not paint them? Romabio has a masonry paint that is almost maintenance free. paint them whatever color you like and pick whatever siding you like. or you could do a composite wood siding (this is shake, but they make siding)
    ...See More
  • tozmo1
    3 years ago

Some very crude renderings of colors on your very nice house. do any of these give a direction that you like better?

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

Thanks for letting me play with your house, here's some more directions you could go. I played with some purple kind of colors (middle) and I think it's really nice.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

No stick-up stone, please. I would ask roofers how much it would cost to paint the roof.

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

Oh, I like the green. Wish I could do the photoshop without the shutters... The roof doesn't bother me against that green. Here's another photo of a similar-looking roof. Look at it with that creamy off-white.

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

I want to thank each of you for your ideas and renderings! I love the green in the last picture. The only thing with painting siding is the paint color has to be lighter than the siding. If i did a lighter green or sage color, that might work.

The fence is to keep my dog in the yard, but if you have a better idea for a way to do that, please share. I always liked the way my knock out roses looked next to the fence.

I have some photos of my house without the shutters, I'll post as soon as i find them. I'm hindered on beefing up the window trim because the windows go right up to the top. Any ideas to get around that are needed. I would love to get rid of shutters. Maybe windowboxes with more substantial trim around windows?

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

Notice how the roof color changes dramatically towards the end of the day?

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

The block is still black from when the roof was black. Can't paint until i know what to do about siding, which is over 25 years old. Not sure how long siding lasts...

• laurafhallen
    3 years ago

It actually looks good in this picture, and the house looks better without the shutters. I like your little fence with the roses.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

I like the example from Mrs. S.

A sage green similar to this siding color would be nice with your roof. This is Saybrook Sage from Benjamin Moore. So pretty with the white trim.

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

I like this style, if it would work.

I think it's funny that the "after" picture looks kinda like the hideous combination of my house now.

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

The roof color doesn't bother me now. I'd rather repaint the siding.

Tracy Stout thanked Mrs. S
  • tozmo1
    3 years ago

Please forgive me for being Houzz's worst renderer, but here is the house with saybrook sage, crisp linen window boxes. I tried to cover up the shutters but when I put the color on it, it became a shade darker than saybrook sage.

I like it! and I like the fence. Gotta take care of the doggie!

Tracy Stout thanked tozmo1
  • Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Well the fence has to stay then. Yest, beefing up the windows like suggested would help.

Tracy Stout thanked Angel 18432
  • Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

I really like the BM SS. Your rendering is fine! Thank you for your time! There are some old vinyl siding pieces in my shed I will paint to see how it looks throughout the day, like i should have done with the roofing.

The shutters are going and I've always loved windows boxes. I'll hire someone to beef up the window trim. Thank you all again for your advice and ideas!

• suezbell
    3 years ago

This is terracotta -- is your roof this color? Lighter or darker shade of this color -- think clay flower pot?

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/colors-coordinate-terracotta-tile-100127.html

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

It's Buckskin. but it looks closer to the Sandstone. It's never, even at night, looked as dark as the Buckskin. It's hideous.

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

I even emailed Drexel Metals asking what color people have used with this roof color, but never heard back.

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

Hi, I can see why you are disappointed, it really doesn't look anything like the sample. A few thoughts...have you checked with the installer to make sure they ordered the correct product? Or maybe the correct product was ordered and the incorrect color was sent. Do you have any scrap pieces you can send to the manufacturer? I have had two experiences with this kind of mistake over the years. Details not important but one was that the installer happened to notice a wood flooring product was stamped on the back with the wrong color name (luckily before he installed it) and the manufacturer took it all back and sent the correct product. He had ordered correctly, they had shipped the wrong product. The other instance was with a manufacturing defect that caused the product (cabinets) to be the wrong color but just slightly wrong i.e. cream vs. white. Turned out the manufacturer had to recall all the product made in that manufacturing run and paid to replace everything for all customers. Things happen like that so maybe something like that happened to you. Perhaps before you take on a major change like painting, you do a little research and see if that's what happened to you, either by the installer or the manufacturer. Push! See if the installer can offer advice. Have they installed this color before? What do they think? If you don't have leftover pieces, demand a regional manager come out and look at your roof if the installer won't support you. I'm sure it wasn't cheap. One more bit of advice, i see you can order a sample of various colors from drexel. I'd order one of of Buckskin, one of sandstone and one of sierra tan and see which one looks like your roof. Might give you some fuel for your argument if your roof doesn't look like any of those.

I played with the Drexel Metal's visualizer and here's a house like yours in sandstone and one in buckskin. I used the maritime green example in their visualizer. I did one with dark trim and one with cream trim on the sandstone and just the light on the buckskin since it's not really your color anyway. I think the standstone ones look nice but I realize it's not what you were expecting.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

The "Sandstone" appears to be a tanish gray or a grayish tan. The roof doesn't really look bad but it clearly isn't what you expected or want to go with the siding you have.

If it helps at all, one plus of the lighter roof is that it will be more likely to reflect summer heat than a darker roof.

You may need to write a snail mail letter and send it certified mail return receipt requested to get a relevant response.

If the roofing company and/or installer company have social media pages -- Facebook, twitter, etc, -- you might ASK and keep asking for answers using those forums in the hopes that, for the positive publicity and, importantly, to forestall negative publicity, that may prompt them to take action.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Tracy, since you're considering replacing the siding anyway, decide if the time, effort and energy involved and the stress and cost of dwelling on it and trying to change reality is worth going through continuing to fret over the roof.

Since you're considering replacing the siding soon anyway, go ahead and pressure wash and paint at least the front siding -- or even just part of it ... as long as one can of paint lasts ... if you have a color that you are seriously considering choosing when you do replace the siding. Give yourself a preview of what the color would look like. Repaint it to try another color.

Your light colored roof is NOT ugly, it just doesn't go all that well with the light colored siding you have -- at least, it wouldn't be my choice of color combinations anyway.

The more colorful siding colors such as blue or green or yellow , etc., could very well clash with the roof color, too and, therefore, draw attention to the color of the roof. -- something that it sounds as if you might not want.

If you have good reason to believe that you must paint your siding a lighter color (if/when you do paint it), then DO paint all your siding a true white You could paint your trim/shutters (if you replace them) black. Black and white is a classic color combination.

Consider pressure washing your front sidewalk and outlining your sidewalk and adding either brick or stone to the surface of it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=adding+brick+or+stone+to+concrete+sidewalk&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjQmJzqtaLqAhWMlnIEHR3WCSoQ_AUoAnoECA0QBA&biw=1366&bih=654

Not a pro but, in my opinion, aside perhaps from a true white, the very best color for your new siding with your current roof color could well be a dark brown siding -- which will be a dramatic change -- a change that should create a calm and serious vibe for your home, especially if you remove all the man made extras and totally de-clutter the front of your home (with the possible exception of your bird bath) -- leaving but trimming the plants and shrubs.

You could continue to work over time to create that "green" privacy hedge you've begun between your home and the road. And you could also cover or leave the black foundation in the back black -- use black for your fascia and, if you replace them, your shutters.

Do you like the look of this house: (If not, choose white.)

https://www.houzz.com/photos/mid-century-remodel-midcentury-exterior-portland-phvw-vp~2082740

You have a truly great back yard -- the kind of place where putting a deck all the way across the back and creating easier access than steep steps -- multiple levels of decks -- could be a huge plus. You might consider creating one 6'deep deck all th way across the back and then add a larger, more square deck with more seating space -- perhaps with the rails as seats -- several steps down from that.

This deck certainly would be way out of my price range but it gives you the basic idea of multiple levels.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/431290101797604147/ 

or this could be more practical, with the lower deck half the distance down from between the house level deck and the ground.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/rebuild-an-old-deck-with-new-decking-and-railings/

Since the road is so close in the front, were this my home, the back is where I'd put my focus and money to create indoor/outdoor living.

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

Tozmo1 I did order the Buckskin sample and the ONLY time it looks the same is in the late evening. Good idea about ordering the Sandstone. I do like the house color in your example even with the buckskin color. Unfortunately, you're not supposed to paint siding a darker color.

Suezbell. The roofer was a nightmare. The roof was installed 2-3 years ago after a storm and I've been trying ever since, off and on, to find a solution. I had the roofer come back 7 times to correct blatant shoddy work. Leaks, screws missing, left a mess, installed downspout in the wrong place. The bottom of the downspout was about 6 feet from the ground, where it could be seen from the road. Each time he kept getting worse. I don't even know who manufactured the roof. I guessed at the one I listed above. There are other companies that make the buckskin color and they all look dark brown. I've tried to reach 3 of them. I really really would hate to have to contact the roofer.

After thinking about it.... I'm going to text him!

It also looks close to the Sierra Tan.

I've had the ugliest house in the neighborhood for 2-3 years now, I've got to fix it now.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I think your house would look great with white siding and a colorful door.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I don't think it looks bad at all. I agree with removing the shutters. Color in your landscaping will help, as will a pretty color that lets your front door pop. Paint the back the same as the siding. If you really dislike it, re-side or paint the current siding before you paint the roof. There are paints made specifically for vinyl siding. Use a pale, creamy white and a bright front door.

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

What about the Saybrook Sage from BM that someone earlier posted? I've redone the front and side by planting limelight hydrangeas along the front and side. Someone else said plant something tall along foundation and remove the oval thing, but I just planted 6 of the jumbo hydrangeas. What would look best and what type of tall plants? I could transfer hydrangeas elsewhere, but this is what I had in mind.

Put in something like this tall plane where the oval thing is? Just one?

I love how a whole row of these limelights look.

I've got 3 hydrangeas planted in the front and 3 on the side, then this memorial garden for my son that's next to porch. Can you tell I really don't have a clue??

Saybrook Sage BM with roof color?

Tracy Stout thanked Tracy Powers
  • tozmo1
    3 years ago

Hi Tracy, My neighbor has those white hydrangeas and they make me happy every time I look at them. What USDA zone are you in? That will help recommend a tall plant. I think one will be good if it's the right one.

I think saybrook sage is a good one to test out. Love your son's memorial garden. If it's things you know he'd love, you've done a great job on it. Is that a whirlygig fire engine?

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Tracy, do test the Saybrook Sage. Know that it might look lighter on the exterior in case you wanted something a bit darker.

Your son's memorial garden is very special, for sure.

Tracy Stout thanked chloebud
  • Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

Yes! Tozmo1, Colton was a volunteer fireman and worked as an Advanced EMT. At age 20, he was killed in a car wreck.

We łive in zone 7, East Tennessee .

• Melissa R
    3 years ago

You keep saying this; "Unfortunately, you're not supposed to paint siding a darker color."

I've never heard this.

Tracy Stout thanked Melissa R
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss.

They do make vinyl-safe paint now, you should look up your options.

That last photo you posted with the teal trim and sage green with cream was actually the exact same photo I used as my color guide for our renovation. My door is a deep teal, siding is the sage green and trim is cream.

Tracy Stout thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • tozmo1
    3 years ago

My dear, dear Tracy, Such a happy face, my heart breaks for you. Somehow you've lived through the loss of that beautiful angel. Finding a solution to your roof/siding dilemma is certainly something this community can help you with, a small contribution to making your life more joyful.

Let's change the thinking on that roof. Yes, it's not what you expected and certainly, given the circumstances, you are entitled to think, "Really? Does nothing go right?" So what to do? I like the roof and maybe an angel in heaven decided he'd rather look down on the roof you got. It might open the door to a more colorful house! Test out that Saybrook Sage and send us some pictures. That might not be the final choice, but it's a good place to start. Red and green are great complimentary colors, so the fire engine will look great against a green. Your roof is a chameleon so hard to tell which one will work, but something will.

@Melissa R, I hadn't heard that either but a little google search provided this "sage" advice from Bob Vila on how to paint vinyl siding. He says the color should "be the same shade or lighter than the current color; darker colors retain more heat and leave the siding vulnerable to premature warping." Makes sense. I wouldn't have thought of that.

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

Tozmo1 thank you for your thoughts on Colton looking down on the roof! I bought the sample size of Saybrook Sage and as soon as the rain stops, I'll stat experimenting. I will, for sure, post pictures as I go.

I've read that about painting siding a lighter color in just about every article I've read on the subject.

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

Suezbell, I'm sorry! I just saw your second reply. I'll read over it and get back with you, I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring it!

• suezbell
    3 years ago

If you're going to pursue getting wrongs righted from the roofer, one thing to determine is what BRAND of roofing was put on -- then you could be better able to tell if the wrong color and/or brand was put on the house. If you have any records indicating what color and brand you chose and what color and brand were actually put on, then those records could be helpful.

Can you see any brand on the underside of an overhang?

Does the roofer advertise and does that advertising include any satisfaction guaranteed language?

Have you contacted the Better Business Bureau and/or the local Chamber of Commerce and/or posted on the roofer's Facebook page (and/or a local tv station IF they have one of those help a viewer get results programs?)

Not going to say it will get your issues fixed but there is a long shot that it might -- and it could put the word out about shoddy work and make it a bit uncomfortable for the roofer ... perhaps even enough to prompt him to make it right.

In such communications, just stick to the facts and don't exaggerate or go off on an emotional riff ... strictly business in such communications.

Tracy Stout thanked suezbell
  • suezbell
    3 years ago

Re read some of the earlier posts while looking at the pictures of the garden again and would like to extend my sympathy for your loss.

Since the garden has personal meaning, you'll want to keep it. You may need to make known how precious it is to you in order to protect it the plants in it from any delivery/worker damage.

At some point you might want to reset the paver blocks that outline your garden so their tops are ground to make it easier to mow around.

Tracy Stout thanked suezbell
  • roccouple
    3 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine what you have been through. I’d recommend actually fencing your lovely garden during any work, to the extent possible. with plastic snow fence or something similar. If that’s not possible, caution tape.

Tracy Stout thanked roccouple
  • Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

It's funny, you mentioned earlier about pressure washing and putting pavers on the sides of the side walk! AND changing the paver blocks so I can mow easier! I've cleared out a path for pavers that will be flush with the grass to make it easier to mow (just bought a small Cub Cadet riding mower). I know I need to clear out the weeds in sidewalk and weedeat,

but we've had a lot of rain recently. I've planted pink muhly's by the road, they haven't bloomed yet.

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

Trying to post pictures, but they aren't showing up, I'll try again this evening. Thank you so very much for all your advice and ideas!

I did message the roofer and he actually replied. However I had to ask the same question 4 times before he answered it without being vague. He never did tell me the manufacturer. 😡

Tracy Stout thanked Tracy Powers
  • katinparadise
    3 years ago

I would nag at him until he gives you the name of the manufacturer. You should have a warranty on the roof and you need to know who to contact should there be an issue.

Tracy Stout thanked katinparadise
  • Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Good point about the warranty. Sounds like he may have something to hide

if he is evasive about your questions. Keep asking until you get all info.

My condolences also re your beautiful son.

Tracy Stout thanked Angel 18432
  • Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

He gave me the name, finally, but he didn't make an easy question, easy.

• Tracy Stout
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I found a color through Behr called Mink Haze that is close to the roof color. Then I found a Crisp Linen that looks good wih it. But maybe it's not white enough..

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Crisp Linen might work, but you'll have to try the samples in your light. The color needs to have contrast to your roof. The photo of your house in the sunlight, that made the siding look almost white, looked great with your roof. Try to find a color that looks like that when it's not in the direct sunlight.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Keep in mind that any color you paint will look much lighter out in the bright sunlight. What may look too dark on a sample could work well on the house. The Crisp Linen might be a nice option.

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

@calidesign Will do, thank you!

@katinparadise Good point, thank you!

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

Tracy, As summer comes to a close, I'm wondering if you made and changes?

• Tracy Powers
    3 years ago

Yes, I've actually called a siding person to come out. I'm hoping he can come up with a color that will make the roof ok. If not, I'll just have to replace roof and redo siding.

Even better, I've completely gutted my kitchen, and moved the basement stairs to another part of the house, giving me much more floor space! Also, moving laundry from basement to first floor. So, I've been concentrating on that more than outside! Thank you for asking!

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

Holy cow, I'll say you made some changes. You've been busy. :-)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths