SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_d11

Should we walk away from our dream home?

Jennifer D
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I’m going to try to make this short-

We found our dream home that is seemingly perfect in every way. It is 30k over our budget, but we made money on the sale of our home and felt it would be worth it to spend more for this house. Since homes are selling within 24 hours around here, we offered asking price and half the closing costs. The sellers had a second offer apparently for asking price with the buyers pay all closing costs. The only reason they countered is because we had more buying power and closing would be faster. So we went ahead and offered asking price and all of closing costs.

The house was built in 93, so we expected a few things to show on the inspection report. There were a lot of things that we could get done easily, but we learned the siding is the LP siding that was discontinued years ago due to various Problems. The siding is in good condition, but requires paint every 2 years to maintain the condition or we could just replace it. I had a pro go out today and gave me an estimate of $22,000 to replace all the siding and paint it. It also has a discontinued shingle on the roof (Atlas) which is also in good condition, but not for long I’m sure.

there is also a good bit of smaller jobs that require immediate attention- like missing flashing on the deck, insulation, and a few rotted pieces of wood around the door frames. We will need to repair these and replace the doors. there are other issues, but nothing we can’t handle quickly, unlike the siding and roof.

My husband and I discussed it, and decided that it was more than fair to simply ask the sellers to cover the $9,000 closing costs. I feel we are being very generous here, but something tells me they won’t cover it. I mean, they turned down a request to pay $85 to add septic coverage to the home warranty. That was before the inspection though.

So, given all this information, should we walk if they refuse to pay closing costs? This house has unique features we won’t find elsewhere, but we are already stretching and the maintenance of this house will be costly. My logical brain is really fighting with my emotional brain right now!

edit: after the inspection my realtor spoke with the sellers agent hinting that there may be some requests coming their way. The sellers agent said the other offer also includes ZERO due diligence. if this offer truly exists, it is likely they will let us walk with no problem. Something tells me there is some truth stretching here.

Comments (10)