SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonermagic

Should We Walk Away?

17 years ago

The fact that we're considering it and asking the question in the first place likely answers the question itself, but I'm interested in the forum members' thoughts and experiences.

We have a cost-plus arrangement for a custom home. The builder is carrying the note through construction and the contract gives us the right to walk away from the build at any time for any reason. Although our builder has years of experience (and glowing recommendations) in remodeling, and has previously built houses with a partner, we're his first solo home build. We have very open communication with the builder and we think he is building a wonderful home.

BUT, the build is going VERY slowly. The stem wall was poured in October and the dry wall hasn't even started yet. The builder says, "I use a small crew to keep control over the quality of the build." In actuality, I think the subs work only a few hours a day on our project and builder doesn't have firm control over his subs.

AND, the costs are out of control. Builder said he could build the house (roughly 2800 sq ft) for roughly $415K, and would give us a change order (exclude his 20% margin) on any items that would exceed "customary building cost." We understood this is not fixed price but he was adament he could do it for $415K. He would not give us a control estimate, though I repeatedly requested one and knew when he refused that it would be the downfall of our build. We had to trust the builder to make this work ... and in the beginning we really, really trusted the builder. He did share with me the estimate he gave to the bank, which he said was inflated. In tracking actual expenses against that estimate (which supposedly was inflated but we're already exceeding), we're looking at a $500K house that we know will only appraise for $425K max, given our area.

Also, builder has made a host of minor mistakes that are amplifyingly more frustrating as they mount. They've all been fixed, but just demonstrate that he really is a novice at this and that he doesn't have complete control over the build.

We expected the house to exceed $415K because of things we know we want to upgrade and expected to be able to track those excess costs with the change orders. But, the actual cost of basic things has so far exceeded the "inflated" estimate that we are very, very nervous that we're going to end up with a house that we simply cannot justify because it won't appraise.

When we confronted the builder, he more or less said, "The cost of building the house is the cost." I guess at this point we don't feel like the builder is protecting any of our interests (I know, contrary to his interests in a cost plus) to fight for reasonable costs on standard things and are nervous.

I'd appreciate any of your insight or advice. For example, is there a general rule of the percent of overall cost that is expended up to (but not including) drywall? If we could run that figure against our expenses to date, perhaps that might make us feel like we're more on track than we think we are. Also, is it worth asking the builder again to give us a control estimate for projected costs remaining? Perhaps if he knew we were too nervous to continue without one, he'd be more motivated to do so. The housing market is extremely slow here, so he should be incented to not want this house to turn into a spec. He'd have a real tough time selling a spec house for $165+/sq ft when other builders around town sell for $115 a ft. .

Comments (39)