SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Recirculating kitchen hood--baffles or mesh filters better? Model reco

julieste
3 years ago

I know that a ducted system is best. We can't do this due to our condo townhouse association and the fact this is a first floor, interior wall that is common property. So I have to go recirculating/ductless.

I have read that when one inserts the charcoal filter a recirculating system requires it effectively cuts the air flow in half so I will need to buy a hood with a higher CFM to compensate for that loss of flow. I also know that with a ducted system baffles are considered better than mesh filters. Does this also hold true for non-ducted systems?

The kitchen itself is completely interior and quite small--9 x 13-- but it has large openings into other areas of our 900-100 sq ft first floor; there is a ceiling fan in the kitchen. In our remodel we will be installing a 30" induction range. The current electric range has the standard absolutely useless as far as venting OTR microwave. We definitely cook but don't do lots of high-BTU-required Asian cooking, and we don't do any deep frying. This home is used for only half the year.

I am still in the design phase and debating between a chimney hood and an under cabinet type hood, leaning pretty strongly towards the under cabinet pull out type primarily because the space is small and this would be less intrusive.

l know there are recommendations for Vent a Hood for a good ductless system, but I don't want to spend the 3K that VAH will cost (I priced it out). When I look at search parameters, should I attempt to find a baffled recirculating hood? Or, with ductless is the difference between mesh and baffles rather negligible? Any other tips?

Also, if anyone has an efficient and quiet ductless hood they can recommend, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

Comments (5)