Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vee_new

I'm not familiar with this writer and wonder if anyone would recommend 'Shadow of the Wind'? Masgar, have you read it?

Save     Thanked by masgar14
yoyobon_gw

I tried to read it and disliked it mainly because I do not enjoy stories about vampires.

reader_in_transit

Thanks, Masgar14, for this information, otherwise, I wouldn't have known of his passing. Years ago, I read The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game by this author. I liked the first one, but not the second one. They are both very atmospheric.

In 2009, I attended an event our library organized with him. Among other things, he talked about his process, the Barcelona of his youth, and his translator, Lucia Graves (daughter of writer Robert Graves). Hearing him in person helped me understand his books better. Maybe now I'll read the 3rd book of the "Cemetery of Forgotten Books" quartet, The Prisoner of Heaven.

Vee,

Back when we used to have book discussions regularly in Reader's Paradise, we discussed The Shadow of the Wind (I remember because I led the discussion). That was about 15 years go.

Yoyobon,

Even though The Shadow of the Wind is a gothic novel, there are no vampires in it (I wouldn't have read it if there were vampires, as I don't like them either).

Rosefolly

My book club read it, and I can also guarantee the complete absence of vampires.

Save    
vee_new

Thank you reader. I do miss the book discussions, but suppose they are no longer practical with seemingly less RP'ers here.

I have never seen the attraction of vampires as a story-line. Seen one neck, seen them all.

1 Like Save    
masgar14

sorry to everybody, I did a little of confusion, I don't know why but I read Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and thought He also had written "The Kite Runner". Another continent and gender of novel. I read "The Shadow of the Wind" I found it pleasurable, but I hadn't any wish to read others novels of Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Sorry for the misunderstanding I caused.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Okay.........I stand corrected ! It was many years ago .....hmmm, I wonder what turned me off about the story !? I am, as it turns out, a fickle reader....lol.

Save    
Carolyn Newlen

I don't believe I finished The Shadow of the Wind, either. I just looked up the plot line and have no memory of the way it ended. If you want to read the book, don't look it up on Wikipedia. It's a total spoiler.

Save    
sheri_z6

I remember reading The Shadow of the Wind as a group and really liking it ... though so much time has passed I hardly remember any of it. It's still on my keeper shelf, so I must have liked it a lot. I looked through my TBR pile and discovered I have his The Prince of Mists and The Angel's Game waiting.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Budget Decorating DIY Makeover: From Sad Shelving Unit to Glam Bar Cart
Cheers! A discarded storage piece finds a glamorous new life storing spirits
Full Story
Decluttering Escape the Inheritance Trap: What to Do With Sentimental Pieces
Too meaningful to toss but too hideous, precious or unusual to display? These ideas can help
Full Story
Feel-Good Home Inherited Pieces: Embrace the Approach That Works for You
How you remember and honor loved ones through heirlooms is your decision alone
Full Story
We can work from any type of plans, but we can also provide design build services. We also take pride in... Read More