• aok27502
    3 years ago

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I coulda used that lunch bag when I was working. Then I switched to a pink and purple insulated lunch bag with my name on it....problem solved. No one would be caught dead carrying that thing!

• eld6161
    3 years ago

• susanwv
    3 years ago

• dedtired
    3 years ago

• Rusty
    3 years ago

• dedtired
    3 years ago

Rusty, i laughed out loud at that one.

• salonva
    3 years ago

Excellent ones today!

• joyfulguy
    3 years ago

I had to make a hole like that by the roadside, recently, Rusty, 'cause some rascal came and hit the post, knocked it and the mailbox to the other side of the lane, smashing the mailbox in the process and my landlord figures he did an appreciable amount of damage to his car.

The hole that I made was bigger, because I had to dig out the residual stub of the original post.

I repaired a box that was in the barn from uncle's time, my landlord provided a post and cut it at the required height, I installed the box and we're back in business.

ole joyful

• jemdandy
    3 years ago

At one time, the store, Fleet Farm, sold a mail box called 'The Iron Box'. It appeared to be an ordinary sheet metal box, but it wasn't. It was made of 1/8 inch (3.175 mm) thick steel plate and welded together. Hit that one with a vehicle and there will be a dent.

• sjerin
    3 years ago

OJ, you're something else, to be out there digging and putting up a new mailbox at your age! That is awesome.....if you're careful. :)

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    3 years ago

One of my least favorite things to do - replace a mailbox post and box. ugh.

This most recent one (four years ago?) I bought a cedar post kit. First you drove this metal rod thing with a pointed end into the ground, then you set the post over it, the post having a convenient hole already drilled for the purpose. Other than a few wobbles in the Spring, which I reinforce the bottom of the post by pounding some wooden shims into the ground up against it, it has lasted - so far. The huge farm tractors with the monster wheels have come close, but no collisions yet.

• joyfulguy
    3 years ago

While I like a number of males ...

... I appreciate and enjoy getting my mail, as well.

70 miles north of here, east of Lake Huron, where they get unusually large amounts of rain and snow, many rural people install a tall metal post with a curve in the top about 6 or 8 feet behind the usual mailbox post location. The pipe from the curve, about 6 to 8 feet above the level of the road, ends above just where the usual mailbox would be and there's a chain hanging down, holding the mailbox at the usual location.

When the wing of the snowplough, or the snow that it throws, hits that box ... it just flies around a bit then settles down in its former location (with a smile on its face?). Maybe less smiling face on the mailcarrier on a windy day, though.

Hi jem, you dandy,

Is the person that repairs the dent in that car that hit your armored-car's cousin mailbox, called a "dent-ist"?

o j

• dedtired
    3 years ago

My parents mailbox was hit frequently. Finally my dad put a thick metal pipe sunk into concrete in the ground to use as the post. One day someone sideswiped it. Pole never moved but there was a huge dent in someone’s nice new Mercedes. He was flying over the hill in the road and had to swerve to miss something, over corrected due to his speed and hit the pole. Lesson learned, i hope.