SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Ideas for dull, dead pizza dough rescue?

petalique
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Although I usually make my own pizza dough from the Bob’s red Mill artisan flour recipe, I thought that I would try a recipe I got online to read some thing like send pizza dough from America’s test kitchen via someplace. I’ll try to find the recipe that I used it’s on the counter somewhere and Will offer that up if anybody’s interested. But I used it and it was very dry I thought. The dough recipe was supposed to make dough for two to pizzas. It was supposed to rest for something like 24 to 48 hours in the refrigerator (in an oiled bowl, covered). It used “bread flour” and a bit of olive oil.”

The dough was like a dense heavy ball after 48 hours. Dense and not much change in size. I chalked it up to a typo after going over my ingredients and checking the recipe again.

Not wanting to wait a week, I figured I didn’t have much to lose. The dough was as dense as potter’s clay.

I added a bit more water and yeast. I let it rise or relax rise for a day, on the counter, periodically stretching.

I made two “balls” and froze one for posterity. The one I used for pizza was the most disappointing crust since Wonderbread. No flavor. No character. Crumb was a homogeneous fine airspace nothing. Dead. Even the flavorful topping couldn’t impart any redeeming crumb or flavor,

Yesterday, I defrosted the 2nd part. Rather than having another bland white puff flour pizza dough repeat, I’m wondering if there is a way to try to mask the dull, nothing wonderbread cast, or to impart some character to it. (I have rescued lousy pizza doughs before, but thought I’d ask this group if they have some good suggestions.)

BTW, after hanging out on the counter for hours, I don’t see any lift, so maybe the yeast poofed.

I’m thinking——- maybe add a bit of fine cornmeal?

Or, any of the following. Even if it turns into a so so Marguerite “cracker.”

Maybe carmelize some onions and garlic and combine, blend it into the “dough?”

Or, mussels? Canned clams, or mushrooms?

Ready mix cement.

I’d like to make it soon. Hahaha. Any ideas? Pavers?

Thanks.

excuse typos, please

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County