SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_langlais

Do you gaze into one another’s eyes?

KQ
3 years ago

My husband and I are downsizing from the home we built 22+ years ago. We no longer want or need a “family” home. We are looking at open concept one floor living.

We’ve always wanted a chefs kitchen with a giant island. The floor plans we are looking at are designed for that. We have eaten in our formal dining room less than a dozen times in all our years here. All meals together are currently eaten at the island stepped down area. We face each other. We are familiar with facing each other for meals both here, and restaurants obviously.

The concept of sitting side by side for meals seems a little awkward to me.

Feedback & opinions please:
1: Do you have an island and eat at an island? Pros & cons.

1. Do you have an island, but eat meals elsewhere? Elaborate.
  2. Thoughts on general on an eat at island? Should I maybe curve the outside “eat at” part so we can angle together slightly?

I don’t want to give up the island, it’s nice to hang out when the other partner is cooking, it’s nice to have the uninterrupted work space, it works when I have guests, it’s good for buffets, etc.

Lastly, open feedback welcomed on keeping the island uninterrupted or incorporating the sink or a cooktop into the island. Whatever floor plan we choose will have island looking out towards open concept living area.

Various floor plans attached as well as our current kitchen seating area.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!