SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephen_r_duggins

Dancing Queen Sports - early results

Early results and immature plants make this more or less meaningless. But I thought they were starting to look good. First, momma planted in my first Hosta bed in 2016 which I over amended and then invaded by roots retarding its growth. I've done some damage to the invading roots using a Root Slayer and removing the burning bush on the edge and hopefully the over amended soil is returning to better growth. Here's the bed with Dancing Queen in the center.

and a closeup

First out of the blocks is One Last Dance. Also bought in 2016 and planted in the same bed. The edge was turning green so quickly I stopped taking pictures of it by the end of May. It got moved into a sunnier spot early this spring while still in the pip stage. One third of the way through June and it is still holding that yellow edge. Although. this looks a little greener than it really is.

I also bought a second one last year so I could plant it in a sunnier spot. Here it is coming up in May, it is also holding the color well.

Second out of the blocks is Amalia. Bought in 2017 from Naylor Creek before they sold out. This is DE Donna's fault for posting her beautiful plant. I've been very happy with its look, but mine tends to go green like Dancing Queen but not as quickly. Although, perhaps that's just because Amalia is in more sunlight. At the edge of my second Hosta Bed still amended but not as heavily and less invasive roots.

Also bought last year is Dancing Darling planted on the edge of my 3rd and 4th Hosta bed next to my second One Last Dance. Jan van den Top from Hosta World in the Netherlands had a type A and Type B Amalia when I visited there a couple years ago. One of them probably became this plant. It is supposed to have a tendency to go more white in sun but chartreuse in shade. Hopefully this is the right exposure to keep it yellow. So far so good.

Initially, I thought I didn't need First Dance as it goes green like my Amalia. But I figured I might as well complete the set and plant it in the most sun (next to it's reverse sport sister One Last Dance) and see how it does so I can make long involved posts like this one. Its new this year and I've kept it temporarily shaded in the heat due to being recently planted. I assume its showing a little more green now because of that.

So what's so great about Dancing Queen and her sports? You tell me.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH