SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

June 2020, Week 2

It is June and the weather is hot. It is, in fact, hotter than average. That's all we need to know, isn't it?

Here's the 8-14 day temperature outlook in case you want to look at it to see what the future holds:

8-14 Day Temperature Outlook

This is the one-month outlook:

One Month Outlook from Climate Prediction Center

So, it looks like what we have to look forward to for June is hotter-than-average weather and drier-than-average weather.

How do we survive the heat? For our gardens, it takes some combination of mulch, water hoses, soaker hoses, sprinklers and drip irrigation lines, I suppose. Maybe rain if any of it can find us. For us? Hydration, hats to shield our heads and necks, frequent breaks indoors to rest and cool down, maybe a strategically placed chair where you can sit in the shade, cool off, drink a cold drink and rest yourself in between rounds of gardening activity. If I have things I must do outdoors in this heat, I go out early in the day and late in the day and stay inside in the middle of the day. I do have a 'beach umbrella' I can set up in a bed so I can weed in the shade and that helps a lot.

Our garden is oddly quiet as far as pests are concerned. I've only seen a couple of stink bugs and none of the other unmentionable bugs (I don't want to say what they are for fear it will jinx us and they'll show up). There are some green lacewings and a ton of brown lacewings this year, so obviously we have something that is serving as a food source for those guys. It isn't that the garden isn't full of insects---it is very full, but apparently the good guys are taking care of the bad guys and I am glad. Mosquitoes still are the exception. There are lots of dragonflies and, of course, our beloved purple martins still around taking care of them, but 2020 has produced a bumper crop of mosquitoes so there's still far too many of them.

All the trumpet creeper vines are in bloom which is such a delight for the hummingbirds. I had to buy new bee guards for some of our hummingbird feeders yesterday, and am glad Atwood's sells the bee guards separately because they are fragile and easy to break while cleaning them, so we're always losing one here and there.

I was noticing yesterday how quickly the fields and roadsides are going from lush and green to that tawny brown of mid-summer and heat, though it certainly isn't even close to mid-summer yet. Partly this is the result of all the native cool-season grasses going to seed, but it also partly is due to the sudden onset of big heat. We're already seeing summer wildfires here in OK, especially in the areas that are already either Abnormally Dry or in one of the drought stages.

I haven't seen any hornworms around, but have seen one white-lined sphinx moth. They are my favorite hummingbird moth, and we have lots of the native plants they feed on here, so we always have more of their cats than either tomato hornworms cats or tobacco hornworm cats.

Our comfrey, which is seed-raised so not a sterile variety, has reseeded abundantly and is trying to take over the northwest corner of the garden. I'd probably be more worried about it than I am if we didn't have dewberries creeping out of the woodland and fighting to take over that same corner. I'm just letting the two of them slug it out, and I think the comfrey is going to win. It is a huge favorite of the many kinds of bees we have here, so it is hard for me to be too unhappy about how much it spreads. It has replaced tansy and lemon balm as the plant in our garden that is most likely to run wild. That's okay though. We never have bindweed pop up in that corner of the garden any more, which is just a huge bonus. I'd rather be pulling out and composting excess comfrey volunteers than excess bindweed plants.

The summer wildflowers are looking spectacular already, but I'm worried about how hard the heat will be on them. Even native plants really aren't ready for July heat in June.

I think we are going to go plant shopping today although I don't know if we'll see anything we want. Maybe we'll find a couple of heat loving plants that are calling our names and begging to come home with us so they can roast in the June heat and sunlight. It is too hot to do anything other than shop.

Have a great week everyone and stay cool and hydrated.

Dawn

Comments (57)