SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Just another electrical summer fire

Oakley
3 years ago

And to tell you the truth, I'm quite tired of it. I'm too old.

After all was over we started LOL at the chaos but my adrenaline is still running high. I gotta start from the beginning. Temps got up to 99 today, a great day for wheat harvest because it's ready. And it makes such a good fire. Because of the high heat I didn't let the cat out to play until around 6pm, she'd come in before bedtime.

While DH and I were fixing dinner in the kitchen, a very high wind began because storms were trying to form and the power was doing the weirdest flashing I'd ever seen over and over. Not once did I hear a clap of thunder close by and I told DH that too, but I needed to get kitty inside. The front door was closed, and right before I opened it I told DH how bad summer storms can be because of lightning.

I open the door and the first thing I see is a tallish fire right across the road under a electric pole that sits between our's and DS's driveways. Ripe wheat was on the other side of the pole, our cedar trees across the road. Wind was about 45mph.

I ran to tell DH and I don't look old but I sure ran like an old lady to the kitchen, screaming "There's a fire! There's a fire!" DH comes out of the kitchen running to the front door, I call 911. Panicking I said we have a fire, she ask the address and I gave it to her. Then I gave her DH's name. Once again she asks me for our address. And again I told her. Then I said, "Just call our town's volunteer fire department, they all know where we live!" Because most are friends. :) Plus, one of the guys is building a house about 3/4 of a mile away, he'll be our closest neighbor & of course he showed up before the trucks got here. I actually hung up on her. I mean there's a fire and she wants me to hang out with her? Uh, NO.

An oil guy was driving up the road and bless him, he got out and helped with the hoses. In the meantime I was doing my old lady running around gathering my purse to set next to the door when I heard DS on the patio hollering "Mom, let me in!" and I ran to the back door. They saw the fire from their house behind us. Even my grandkids saw it but they thought it was neat. Kids. Can't help but love them.

Thank goodness our dirt road was dry for the trucks to zoom down with sirens blazing as if there was traffic. lol. People did show up though, small town, word gets around.

By this time the fire had traveled a quarter of a mile to the creek, and the smoke was so heavy I don't know yet if it crossed it, I doubt it, the guys were on top of it.

Here are some pics, the guy down at the road on the left side in the dark is DS with the house, while the big tanker trucks were in the wheat field and the rest of the area.

I wasn't able to get the big part of the fire that started across the road because I was too busy running around like my head was cut off. My men and the oil guy got that part put out. These pics aren't that impressive because the big stuff next to us had passed.

First pic is the road to the creek. I also have no idea if any wheat got damaged because it got dark and I had to lighten the pictures. I sure hope not.

DS's driveway, I took all pics from the porch.

The fire started at the pole you see below. We don't know yet what got hit first but we all have power. That's DS putting out hot spots in the back left of picture.

I can't show anymore pics, people I know are in them but trust me when I say, that fire got HIGH and spread fast, and once again my mouth went dry. Don't call me if there's an emergency, I always told myself I'd be great during one, but I'm totally worthless.

Comments (16)