SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

Another test with Fire tablet

Lisa Adams
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Not much going on here, but I'm going to try posting multiple pictures with the tablet and then coming back on my iPhone to write the text descriptions.

Not a lot of blooming going on in my row of roses out front. They were pretty shocked when the olive tree was trimmed to near naked. Only Bolero is still blooming, but Bolero was still in full sun before the tree was trimmed.

Golden Buddha has been blooming consistently since March.

I didn’t deadhead before taking this picture, so it shows how many large blooms there are in this cluster. I wish the insects didn’t find Golden Buddha so attractive! They are really going to town here.

These Golden Buddha blooms are in the most shade. They have a beautiful two toned look.

Another one that needs deadheading. The ‘Lovely Fairy‘ and miniature rose ‘Cal Poly’.

Miss Alice has given me so many blooms on the tiniest David Austin rose bush I’ve ever seen!

Abraham Darby

Mystic Beauty is another one that’s been blooming all summer long.

Lisa

Comments (43)

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, it did work. I’m not so sure the tablet takes photos quite as well as my iPhone, but it’s good to know I have the option. I did notice that when on the tablet I wasn’t offered the option to take a photo to upload directly to my post. That’s unfortunate, because I often uploaded directly from my phone without storing the pictures. Lisa

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Lisa, what a lovely lot of roses. These photos seem much brighter than your phone ones, but I'll bet they were taken at a "brighter" time of the day. Golden Buddha is so lush and petal stuffed--the way I like roses. The color is lovely, too. That Abe is a stunner. Is he newer? Years ago, I tried growing three Miss Alice roses (they are little, for sure, but that's what I wanted), and they were awful. I dug them out after a couple of years. What is your secret to such lovely blooms on Miss A? More questions--is your tree a Russian Olive? I love those trees. There were many around this area in my childhood, but they blew over so easily in wind, and were removed. They have basically disappeared. My good gardening friend loves them, and has made sure that a few Russian Olives grace her beautiful garden. You have to admit those trees have a weird smell in spring-ha. Diane

Lisa Adams thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • Related Discussions

Another soil testing question

Q

Comments (3)
    I have not tried this, but here's a link that will give you another link to a simple method using purple cabbage extract! http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/soil/msg0210391416995.html I don't know how fine the scale is, you can read the method which is the first post at the link in the first post on the thread linked above. The probe type meters may or may not be OK, problem is calibrating them, or if the one you have isn't adjustable, at least knowing the error at whatever pH you're at.
    ...See More

Testing, testing...

Q

Comments (10)
    Hot diggety dang, I'm still logged in. Whatever it was that whoever did, it worked. Life may now resume its normal course. Dorothy, they were alive when fall hit so now we just hope they make it through our winter. It's been a mild one so far. Jay, the garden did for crap this year. It was just so soggy for the first half and then dry as a bone for the second half. No one I've talked to had anything other than a completely cruddy year up here. 2012 will be better! Nice to talk to you all again! Diane
    ...See More

kindle fire vs nook tablet

Q

Comments (12)
    Well, I now have a Nook Tablet AND a Kindle Fire. I'm planning to return one of them but I felt like I had to try them both. I've had the Nook for a few days but just got the Fire tonight. So far I think I like the Nook better. I like the feel of it - it's more comfortable to hold and not as slippery. It also has kind of a frame around the screen that makes it nicer to hold compared to the Fire which just has a little ridge around the edge - probably why the Fire is a bit smaller. I want to use it without a book-like cover on it - will just store it in a sleeve. I do think the web browser is better on the Fire since it has tabs and the keyboard and shortcuts are nice. However the Nook touch screen seemed more responsive - touching things on the Kindle sometimes didn't "register". The Nook has more options for the book display though and I think some of them are easier on the eyes than the Fire - at least I prefer some of the options that aren't available on the Fire. I imagine a lot of this stuff can change though with a software update. What wouldn't change is the home button on the Nook which I also like - maybe I've just gotten used to it. I'm going to try them out over the weekend and then decide. I do think Amazon is way ahead on content but I'm mainly interested in books and there are lots of books available through B&N and other sources. Kindle has many more apps but I don't care much about that because I do all that stuff on my iPhone. One thing I loved with the Nook was that my favorite magazine (Cooking Light) is available in a beautiful version tailored to the Nook. There is a Cooking Light app that's available for the Kindle to paper magazine subscribers but I really don't want the paper magazine. That could just push me over the edge. Plus I kind of want to give the underdog a chance.
    ...See More

Looking for opinions about this tablet

Q

Comments (5)
    I got my 22yr old son this tablet over the summer and my friend has a different nextbook and she also has an eviant tablet made by nextbook. I was considering one but after playing with them they are ok but not for me. I find them a little sluggish and I had a hard time typing on my friends as the response time when I typed was lagging but maybe I am just use to my kindle fire and smart phone because they don't lag when I type. The one you are looking at they had it in store when I got my sons so check as you may be able to play with it. My son is low maintenance so he loves the tablet. The first nextbook my friend got does not have the google play store but uses slideme to get apps but her eviant one has the google play store which I find better. I will say my friends first nextbook suddenly died a month after 1yr and she didn't have an extended warranty and nextbook replaced it with a new one and customer service was easy to reach and very helpful. Nextbook has a nice website to check out all the tablets and their specs. For me I decided to wait as I want a 10inch tablet and I didn't care for the screen resolution on this tablet compared to my kindle fire or the Samsung tablets I have been looking at so I am going to spend more money for something better as I use my tablet a lot for photos and I watch a lot of HBO, Netflix and live TV on my kindle fire so that is why I want better screen resolution. I think for a basic tablet this is good and the price is great. That's my experience with them. Oh I don't believe this tablet has Bluetooth which was another drawback for me as I want to transfer files from my phone to tablet via Bluetooth but my son doesn't care about that. My son found a nice basic case made specifically for this tablet on amazon and my friend ordered a genric case with a keyboard from one of the shopping sites like shop NBC or some such and it works nice but still lagging to me when you type. Mary
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago

I like your large front garden [it's large to me here]… the house the other side of the fence looks huge too... all those sun windows in the roof, if that's what they are...

...lovely roses... I shall have to try this phone business...

Lisa Adams thanked User
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

I'm so glad that work Lisa! It's funny I do it exactly opposite... I post on my laptop since I can type so fast on it and then I add the pictures from my phone directly by calling up the post and editing. Those pictures look pretty good by the way. You probably just have to get used to it. At least you're back in the game!. I'm the same way about typing on a touchscreen pad. It's so slow going I give up. In fact if I didn't have voice recognition on my phone I probably wouldn't use it either!

Lisa Adams thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Diane. I don’t feel like I have much to show right now, but I wanted to do some experimenting. I went out front, where I don’t take photos as often because I knew at least Golden Buddha had plenty blooms. I’m not sure what sort of olive tree I have, but it does produce olives and grows like mad. They must blow over easily because of their shallow roots. Mine are visible throughout the grass. They’re pretty common around here. My Abe Darby is several years old, and grafted. How’s your “Twig Darby” doing? Someone recently gave me an ownroot 1 gallon sized one. I wish it would be easy to switch them out. I’m still doing battle with Dr. in 2 places where grafted DA’s were removed. My Miss Alice just came this spring, so I definitely don’t have any secrets for getting her to bloom. Maybe she’s just happy in that location? I’m pleasantly surprised at how much she’s already blooming.

Marlorena, I’m glad you enjoyed the front yard view. I would never have considered my yard to be large. The swath of lawn might make it look larger. Behind my row of roses is a grass “alleyway” that is the entrance to our neighborhood park. Then there’s a fence and a row of homes. That house you see has numerous skylights. They are great for letting in natural light. Skylights are the same as sunwindows, I’m sure:)

Vap, I wish I could still type on the keyboard of my laptop, but it went kaput. I totally agree that touchscreens are awkward for typing. You might be right about my not being accustomed to the camera and photos from the Amazon Fire. The pictures are brighter, as Diane noticed, because I took them in the middle of the day. I normally take pictures early or late, but the tablet actually seems to do better in bright sun than my phone. When it’s bright out, the glare is so bad that I can even see the screen. I’ll have to take and post a few pictures with each device and see if there’s much difference. Lisa

Edited to add; You know, I think that Fire thing has voice recognition. That would really make things easier for me. I can sure talk fast! lol I’m going to have to ask one of my kids about that. I was lucky to figure out the camera on that thing:). L

• jacqueline9CA
    5 years ago

Glad you pictures worked, and they are lovely. Just wanted to mention - We took out a giant (80 ft tall, and the canopy was at least 60 ft wide - no kidding) scarlet oak tree in our front garden (it was rotted 3/4 through the main trunk about 10 ft off the ground). Anyway, we have lots of roses in that part of the garden, and they mostly slept in the summer when the oak tree was leafed out. Well, of course the day after it came down the roses went "say, WHAT!", and sulked for the rest of the summer. By the next Spring they had perked up, and bloomed. Within 1 year each of them was twice the size they had been when the tree was there, and blooming much more all summer. It did take a while to adjust, but since they really do like sun, they were eventually very happy. The hydrangeas, on the other hand...

Jackie

Lisa Adams thanked jacqueline9CA
  • Deborah MN zone 4
    5 years ago

Golden Buddha is gorgeous!

Lisa Adams thanked Deborah MN zone 4
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Deborah! It’s one of the few roses that actually stays the compact size it’s described as. SO many roses grow so much larger for me than they’re “supposed to”. I truly appreciate roses that don’t try to take over after a year or two in the ground. I just don’t have as much space as I’d like.

Jackie, that’s exactly what my roses are doing. They just stopped blooming when they were suddenly exposed to full hot sun all day long. I would have rather had the tree trimmed in winter, but when my son said he would trim it, I knew to jump on it. Who knows when he would have time again? I’d been asking for close to a year. High summer, or not, I said “yes please!” I hope my roses will be as happy about the trim as yours were, eventually.

Now I’m going to post a picture or two for comparison. I’ll have to add the pictures from the Fire tablet after submitting the phone photos.

Molineux bloom with iPhone.

Wow! This tablet isn't good in low light. Sorry about that:)

The Faun is blooming again with a bit of Evelyn in the background. iPhone photo

Tablet photo

Duchess de Brabant back to mildewing:(. iPhone

Tablet photo

Lisa

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Lisa. You have such gorgeous roses

Lisa Adams thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Lisa, if you took the photos above in evening light, then the phone camera is obviously the way to go. From what I've read, phone cameras have improved so much that they are better than expensive cameras (not part of a phone) of just a few years ago. If your phone is newer than the tablet, it should have a superior camera in it, I would think. I just can't believe all the lovely roses you have growing in your heat. The Fawn is really something with all its blooms. As far as my Twig Darby is doing, he's fine, but suffered a setback in early spring when I had to transplant him. He did not like that, but quickly regrew roots and bloomed. His biggest problem is his floppy little canes. It's taken all summer for him to start producing thicker and less sprawly canes. I took him out of his "jail" because he was depending on it for total support. Nevertheless, that little rose has bloomed nearly constantly this summer (some were face planted, blast it). The Russian olives produce little fruit that are just decorative, not edible, like crabapples. Yours must be a "real" olive tree. Can you eat them? I suppose olives need to be brined or cured to taste right. It's too cold for true olive trees in this climate. Diane

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Lisa, I've enjoyed seeing your "front" roses for a change; they don't seem to get as much press. I suppose that may change now with the olive tree's severe haircut. Everything looks beautiful. Your Faun is so gorgeous. Mine unfortunately has been eaten by the rabbits. Hopefully it will recover somewhat since there are fewer rabbits now. Golden Buddha is gorgeous. Your Duchesse de Brabant seems not to be as badly mildewed as it has been in the past, and is packed with flowers.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone! I don’t spend as much time in the front yard, mainly because it’s inevitable that I’ll be seen. I’m not always in the mood to chat, and I feel like I have to look “presentable” out there. I often take photos while drinking my morning cup of coffee, and I’m not dressed. Errr...that didn’t sound right. I mean I’m in my robe, or lately a soft tank top and sleep shorts. Nothing scandalous, but nothing I want the neighbors seeing me in, since it’s obviously “sleeping attire:) I’m really hoping that once those roses get over the shock of sudden sun, they’ll get blooming!

Diane, I’ll bet “twig Darby” will develop stronger canes soon. Mine has really strong canes, and they actually grew back stronger every time I pruned him. I pruned him completely to the ground when he developed severe rust almost a year ago. It will be interesting to see how the ownroot one performs vs the grafted one. The growth on my small ownroot Abe Darby doesn’t look especially floppy. I do recall the grafted one flopping over from blooms the first time he bloomed. I might even have a picture of that.....

Yes indeed! My Abraham Darby WAS pretty floppy the first year it went into the ground.

Here he is today. He’s taking over ‘Violet’s Pride’ a bit, but they don’t look half bad intertwined like that.

I’ll have to post this, and finish my comments in a bit. Between the kitties and the kiddos, I’ve been interrupted so many times that it’s taken me over an hour to get THIS far. I’ll be back:). Lisa

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Wow, your older Abe has grown. Does he outbloom Violet? When he was little, your Abe was surely putting out the blooms then, too. Do you remember how large he was in the first pic? So Abe above is grafted? Mine is own root and I'm not really sold on that yet. He's going to get a hard pruning this coming spring which should take about 2 minutes. When I think of pruning Julia Child or Ascot compared to my really small roses, I can't believe the time difference involved. Don't feel bad about running around the yard in robes, etc, and wanting to avoid neighbors. I do exactly the same, and I'm in my 70s, so you can imagine how bad that looks! Diane

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Ditto here! The roses don't care how we are dressed, or not dressed.

Lisa Adams thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Sheila, are you a member of the Robe and Nightgown (or pajamas) Gardeners' Club, too? Welcome, fellow member. Here's to wandering around the garden in comfort. Diane

5 years ago

Yes I am Diane. I had a neighbor across the street actually recommend I dress up better to garden like he did. He was a dandy of a guy who had gone out to buy the proper outfits to walk around on his country estate. I never saw him gardening. He was too funny. I just carried on and he moved fortunately.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Sheila, anyone who dresses up to go outside is no gardener! I bet he was never outside at midnight with a flashlight either, on snail patrol or just looking over the roses.

Lisa, I'll be getting Abe Darby in a few days from the ARE and I'm a bit worried about rust since my last one years ago did have a bit of a problem with that. I may have to blame you because it was your gorgeous pictures that prompted me to try him again. Also, it was Cecil's favorite rose and I wanted him to have it again.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

The blooms on Abraham Darby look scrumptious and fragrant. Thank you for the garden tour.

Lisa Adams thanked Krista_5NY
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I thought I was the only one who spent time in the garden in my night clothes, or truly ugly attire! I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one. I should have known many of us were alike! Sheila, that man is obviously no gardener. REAL gardeners get dirty and they know better than to wear nice things while gardening. I’m guessing that fellow had a bunch of workers at his beck and call. I’m shocked he had the nerve to criticize your garden attire. It’s a good thing he can’t see me on some days! LOL

Diane, my Abe Darby was about 3’ High in that photo. It’s easy for me to estimate since it’s against the fence. I had him in a container until that bed was ready, and he hardly bloomed at all in his pot. He was very glad to get into the ground. He outblooms Violet’s Pride for sure. How tall is “Twig”, now? What happens during your winter time? Did he freeze to the ground, or keep some height? I cut most of roses back VERY hard in January or so. They just get too big otherwise and it allows space for my spring annuals to shine.

Ingrid, one really good thing about posting about something is it helps me remember the details about my roses better. Because I had made a post called “Just Call Me Rusty Darby”, I remember exactly what happened to cause Abe to rust so terribly that ONE time. It was last November when we had a big Santa Ana and there were big fires raging. I was very busy during that time because Sarah had just lost her mother, and the whole family came to stay with me for the memorial. This was pre drip irrigation days, so I was still watering everything by hand. Needless to say, it was not a time to fall behind on watering, but it couldn’t be helped. He began to rust right after that event. He rusted something spectacular! I had no idea rust could be such a bright orange color! I cut him down to the ground and removed all the fallen foliage. The one detail I don’t remember is if I used a fungicide or not. I have had some trouble searching old posts here lately. Sometimes I’m successful, and sometimes Houzz takes me straight to another page that is useless. Anyway, Abe does like his water, but I never had a problem again with rust. The rust didn’t spread to the nearby roses at all, and I grow them fairly tight. I think if you’re careful to give him enough water, yours should be fine. Maybe he should be mulched with that Kellogg’s GroMulch. That really keeps the moisture in better for me, than the areas where I used leaves and such. It doesn’t blow away, and the bunnies wouldn’t eat it. He may need a little extra when we get Santa Ana winds. (Dreading those!).

Ingrid, I’m excited for you and Cecil to have Abe Darby again! If he’s happy, he’s incredibly beautiful. I have a hard time deciding which I like better, Abraham Darby, or Evelyn. I’m glad I have both.

Ingrid, you mentioned that you have fewer rabbits? Did something decrease their numbers that you know of? I hope your special critters are still around. I’m sure your Faun will come back to its former size. It’s such a tough rose, and yours has been growing for quite some years. It surely has a well established root system, so maybe it will even be better when it recovers. I sure love that rose, and it was one of the first that I “copied” of yours. I’m so glad I did!

Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Krista! We crossposted, since I was writing a book, up there:). I got up too late to take any more photos this morning. Hopefully tonight I’ll remember at the right time.

I did notice last night that some of the roses in the row out front are beginning to bud. They might be adjusting to the new sunshine more quickly than I expected, although the cooler temperatures probably helped too. Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I took a few more pictures just before dark. There’s not too much going out there right now.

I did have quite a scare while I was talking pictures and it cut my little photo shoot short. My son Josh texted me from the racetrack in Del Mar. He said there was a gunman there, shooting. I called, but it was so noisy, we couldn’t hear each other. Eventually, he texted that he was fine, and the shooting had stopped. What a scare!

Anyway, here’s the few photos I did take.

My “not-Louise Odier” has a couple of ruffled blooms. They remind me of peony blooms. They are so perfect and different from her usual blooms.

An extra dark, wonky Abe Darby bloom

Abe and Violet’s Pride are all over each other.

The Faun

Evelyn’s canes have lots of blooms.

Cream Abundance is loaded with blooms.

The confused amaryllis is still blooming.

That’s all for now. Lisa

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Goodness, you have some beautiful roses. Those Evelyn blooms are just sumptuous. Too beautiful to be real almost. I've got an Evelyn whose blooms are very rounded and cuplike right and pink. I wonder what brings that on. I prefer the blooms on your Evelyn by far. Abe and Violet doing a little flirting there. Love it. Why is your amaryllis so confused? I guess this is the wrong time of the year for it to be blooming. Poor thing. I'm glad your son is fine. Is there anything on the news about the shooting? Diane

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Diane, my Evelyn changes all the time. I think it’s the temps. I’m going to cut mine back hard to keep her under control. She’s getting big!

Yes, the rest of the amaryllis all bloomed in the spring, except for this one. Better late than never, but I don’t know what caused it to bloom now. I’m enjoying it, since it’s very unexpected.

I’m sure it will be on the news, but it happened at 7 pm, so it will probably be on the late news. Josh has since texted and said the gunman was shot by a deputy. He doesn’t think others were hurt, thanks to that deputy. Thank goodness!!! Lisa

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I haven't seen a thing about the shooting, Lisa. But there was a shooting at a San Bernardino apartment complex. I agree Evelyn can be changeable in color and shape. This Evelyn of mine likes to bloom in big clumps of blooms, too. My other Es bloom more normally, but don't often bloom because of tree shade that is worsening. It's very disheartening to see that they are mere shadows of their former selves due to blasted trees. I need your son to come and do some tree work for me. I would pay well. Diane

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Diane, I guess it wasn’t big enough news to be shown everywhere. It was on our local news at 11pm. Josh was on the inside of the gate when it happened, but close enough to see through it. Apparently, the man was angry because the concert was sold out, and he couldn’t get in. He argued and then pulled out a gun. He shot several rounds without hitting anyone. He didn’t comply with police, and was shot before he could shoot any more. Josh wasn’t sure if he was alive or not, as he was moving after being shot. After that Josh saw officers performing CPR. Josh and his friends didn’t end up leaving, as many people did, because he “figured it was over”, and too many panicked people were all trying to leave at once. It was a scare for all of us, but it turned out no one was hurt but the suspect. Who knows how many lives that deputy saves last night? It’s getting scary to go into large crowds, these days. It’s awful that people do things like that.

Evelyn is really beautiful right now. I’m thinking about cutting a few bloom laden canes for a vase. I haven’t looked at the blooms closely enough to see if those dreadful worms have damaged those blooms. Sometimes blooms look ok from a distance, and upon close inspection, are actually chewed up. She’s on my steep, hot slope, so I don’t get close every day.

A few look perfect, but this was an awkward shot.

I’m trying to decide where to plant my ownroot Abraham Darby. I have a space next to the grafted one. That spot is a little small, but I’m assuming the ownroot will grow much more slowly than the big grafted one I planted. This way, I could plant it without removing the grafted one immediately. That’s a job I can’t do myself, unfortunately. It’s hard to catch one of the boys, these days. They’re always at work or “I was just leaving”. You know how they are......

Brandon’s the one you want for tree trimming, Diane. Does your offer include travel expenses? LOL Lisa

I’m not sure why this picture is at the bottom, but just as I suspected, those nasty bugs have disfigured some of Evelyn’s huge blooms. They are always really bad at this time of year. I didn’t spray BT at all this year, so I’m seeing lots of caterpillars and their handiwork:( Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

PS. I know how you feel about the trees not allowing the roses to bloom. That’s one of the main reasons I wanted that olive tree trimmed. My roses were really shocked at first, but now ALL of them are beginning to set buds! I’m so glad, as many of them have hardly bloomed at all this summer. I hope the weather doesn’t turn terribly hot and dry. It seems like every time I’m looking forward to lots of blooms, we get a big heatwave. It’s about Santa Ana season, and those dry winds can desiccate rose blooms in a matter of hours. Lisa

5 years ago

Your Evelyn look fantastic Lisa. Mine are resting. I probably don't have them in an ideal spot.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

What was the top story on Google News at one point. Sometimes I get the news in the rose form before it hits the national stage!

Lisa Adams thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Sheila. My Evelyn gets zero shade, and is in the hottest part of the garden. She seems to love heat and sunshine.

I’m glad you saw something about it in the news, Vap. I didn’t want anyone to think I was making it up:). Lisa

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    Lisa, your garden is gorgeous! I'm blown away at the quality and number of blooms that you have. My roses are all suffering terribly. I seem to have a thrips invasion and since I don't spray, I'm at a loss. I'm looking into ordering lacewings to possibly help or making my own insecticidal soap with Dr. Bronners. I'm still worried it's still too hot to do much that will end up hurting my plants. This is what all of my blooms look like! Wrinkly new growth and burned looking buds that open poorly. Have you ever battled thrips before with success? I tried the vegetable oil on cups trick it helped catch a few right away, but then nothing? I'm happy to see your roses look so beautiful! I have hope that mine will recover at some point.
    Lisa Adams thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

I'm late to this thread, Lisa. You certainly do have a lot of beautiful roses. It's good to see your Golden Buddha - not a rose I often see on here, and I know what you mean about a rose that actually stays the stated size! I was told recently that a rose I have that HMF has down as 6'7" high and wide, has grown to 10' high by 20' wide in another Sydney garden. Hmmmmm. Your photos of Cream Abundance and Evelyn are lovely.

After your comments about Abe, I wondered if mine would have benefited from the same treatment. Unfortunately, I sp'd him years ago. But for scent and beauty of blooms, he is hard to beat. I hope your new one does well, Ingrid.

As for the worst gardener's attire, I must claim that prize. I'm often out in my dressing gown (was white, but somewhat grey now), with a torn pocket that flaps (have been meaning to sow it up for about 8 years now), and red crocs (if cold with grey socks). Later on, you can catch me in dilapidated jeans with a variety of torn and paint-stained tops. Tradesmen who have turned up unexpectedly (I usually at least throw on a better top if I know someone's coming) have looked quite shocked.

Lisa Adams thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tiffandrew, I’m actually seeing lots of bug damage. This is always the worst time of year for me with all pests except for aphids. Those I see in the Spring. Trust me, I have lots of roses that look terrible due to insects. I don’t spray either, so I’m not much help with that. I did get some sticky traps that I should try out for the thrips. Many a beautiful bloom has been ruined by them. Those buggers seem to love certain roses more than others. The fragrant, light colored roses suffer the most. The temps have cooled, so maybe try some soap on just one rose first? That’s what I would do, and I still might. Lisa

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    Thanks so much for your feedback Lisa. I think that is a good idea to try one rose first with the insecticidal soap. I'll give it a go this evening. This had truly been a wicked bug year for me! Aside from the thrips, the grasshoppers and potato bugs have been decimating my garden beds. I didn't know that potato bugs ate young plants. I had received some plants from Annie's Annuals and promptly planted them. The next morning one of the newly planted zinnias was devoured by tons of potato bugs...the poor plant was smothered by them. I set up some beer traps the next morning which seemed to help.

On another note, your not Louise Odier is stunning! That color!. And I adore your Evelyn pics, so beautiful and inspiring. I love seeing your pictures. Thanks again for your feedback Lisa.
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Trish, I love it! I feel much better about wandering around the backyard in my robe or jammies. As you can see, I’m in a ratty old robe, right now. I was reaching for a cane of Evelyn to take more pictures this morning, when I slipped with my finger on the camera......

I was about to delete it, and decided it was actually kind of funny. The weather has been perfect for the past two days, overcast and a high of 75F. I like it cooler yet, but I’ll take it! By the weekend, it will be 95F again.

A rose that’s stated to grow 6’ 7” and then grew 10’ x 20’ ? Oh, I’d be in trouble! I already have 7 of the 55 gallon black trash bags full of yard waste from just this week! I’d be cutting a Rose back like that constantly, or I’d have no room from anything else. Mel’s Heritage is already that size here. I wouldn’t know what to do with one that grew so large if I wasn’t expecting it. I’m already leery about ‘Pomponella Fairytale’, and hoping I haven’t made a mistake planting that one. I’ve heard it gets pretty big. My Bourbon rose, ‘Comice de Tarn-et-Garonne’ better grow tall quickly, before Pomponella shades it out. Thankfully, Pomponella was planted as a band directly into the ground in March, while Comice de Tarn-et-Garonne was a large specimen, planted in January.

Pomponella has cute little pink ball-shaped blooms, but the bugs have been into it.

Here’s the pictures I just took of a few more Evelyn blooms. The ones that just opened during this cooler weather are much more peach colored than the earlier pink ones that opened while it was warmer.

Those bug chewed buds drive me nuts! I wish I knew of a simple, nontoxic fix!

Below is ‘Mystic Beauty’. It’s supposed to be similar to Souvenir de la Malmaison, but opens more easily in damp weather.(Not that damp weather is an issue here.). It’s been amazing all summer.

My hydrangea ‘Incrediball’, behind Mystic Beauty turned from white to green so quickly this year. It was just too warm too soon.

Tiff, that’s so sad about the potato bugs eating your Zinnias from Annie’s. When I pay $5.95 for a single annual, I expect it to self sow and give me loads of freebies. Aren’t potato bugs those huge nasty looking bugs? I rarely see them here, if ever. I’m mostly having trouble with caterpillars and thrips. I’m happy to hear you’re an Annies fan. Much of my garden is from Annie’s, or descendants from Annie’s plants. I had a hard time resisting their sale over the weekend, but it feels like I just got the last batch from Annie’s planted. Do let me know how the soap works out. SO many blooms are being ruined that I have to do something! Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ha! I just noticed that the one “like” that came while I was busy, is from you, Sheila. I had planned to take a picture of Flamingo Gardens Tea, but decided it definitely needed deadheading first. I did that and took quick pictures, hoping to post them before you saw this post. You were too fast for me:)

Flamingo Gardens Tea blooming a lot this summer.

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

Hmm...maybe I could give Mystic Beauty a try. It doesn't get as hot here as in your garden, and we still get the occasional dampness. Wonder if MB would bloom/rebloom here.

Lisa Adams thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

Lisa, I love your FGT! I am so glad I now have him in SdPN I am sure. What a beauty! I really appreciate you posting the photos. Some of these treasures aren't much talked about. That last photo belongs on HMF.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mary, I’m quite sure Mystic Beauty would bloom and rebloom for you. Mine gets just a little afternoon shade, and it’s been blooming all summer long. I don’t think our conditions are vastly different. All of May and June is mainly “June gloom” weather around here. I don’t get nearly as much heat as Ingrid does. My elevation is just over 600F , and I’m only about 8 miles inland. So I do get some coastal influence.

Thanks, Sheila! I’m enjoying FGT this year. It’s finally really matured enough to make an impact with its blooms. And what a tough rose in the heat! Lisa

• Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

Lisa, I like pink clothing as much as pink roses, I have many pink items in my wardrobe. Great pics! The Flamingo Gardens Tea is amazing.

Lisa Adams thanked Krista_5NY
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

How about we all post photos of ourselves in our morning gardening gear?! (Only kidding.)

Lisa, Mystic Beauty is aptly named. What a lovely pink. I'm off to look it up on HMF after this - not that I have a skerrick of room. But I'd have to find/make room for FGT if it was available here.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Lisa, after looking at HMF, your photo of Mystic Beauty should definitely be on HMF too.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Trish, that accidental shot of the sleeve of my robe is about as much as I’m willing to show! lol If everyone showed pictures of themselves in their ratty attire, I’d have something to show my kids in my defense! I love hearing about everyone’s garden attire, and I’ll be sure to mention that I’m not the only one when my kids make snide comments. They tell me I look like a crazy woman regularly.

It’s too bright out to take more pictures this morning. I guess our overcast weather was too good to last. I did take a few yesterday that I didn’t post, so I’ll add them here.

Molineux has steadily been blooming more. It’s still small, but it’s growing. Too bad the bugs have discovered it.

Here’s a close-up of the bloom. I think our cooler temps are bringing out better colors.

Baronne Prevost is still blooming sporadically. This is a huge improvement over last summer. I guess he just needed time to mature. Below is one of the only blooms the worms didn’t ruin.

Three fading Miss Alice blooms. She’s tiny, but what a bloomer!

Lisa