What are you reading in June 2020?
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (89)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
What are you reading in July 2020?
Comments (97)Rosefolly, I think you'll enjoy Network Effect; I pre-ordered the Kindle version, and it was one of the few books that captured my attention during the pandemic shutdown. I think Murderbot has become my new favorite series. :) I have already pre-ordered the next one, Fugitive Telemetry, which isn't due for release until next April. I spent most of July slogging through Color: A Natural History of the Palette, by Victoria Finlay. The topic is the sources of paints, pigments and dyes for Black, White, Brown and ROYGBIV, but it's buried in 400 pages of combined travelogue and innumerable anecdotes of every interesting factoid Finlay uncovered during her research. I finished the book only out of obstinacy. I have several library books that have sat around for the past several months, unread during my extended reading slump, but the library has reopened for limited exchanges and they are suddenly all due in a couple days, so I'm finally picking them up. Based on Yoyobon's post last March, I had requested The Uninvited Guests, which I finally read in the last 2 days - I wasn't sure where it was going and was caught by surprise about halfway through (yes, I should have known!). I also finished the book laughing. Definitely worth the time. Next up is Ruta Sepetys' Between Shades of Gray. a YA historical novel about Stalin's death camps....See MoreWhat are you reading in September 2020?
Comments (77)I just finished Troubled Blood, the newest installment of the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling. It was a terrific story, and I liked this one better than all the previous ones. This book covers a full year in the lives of detective Strike and his partner Robin Ellacott while they tackle a 40 year-old cold case in addition to their usual caseload. Their relationship (which is why I got hooked on these books to begin with) experiences some satisfying growth and development, Robin truly begins to come into her own, and Strike's personal life takes a larger space in the story. I thought that Rowling toned down the triggery/horrifying/ick factor a good bit from the earlier books, though since there's a serial killer involved, there are a handful of truly nauseating descriptions of sexual assault and torture -- as I knew there would be, and so skipped over them when I could. This was a doorstop at 927 pages, but I couldn't put it down and didn't want it to end. I'm hoping there will be another one....See MoreJune: What are you reading?
Comments (113)I had a link at the top of the comments 'See more comments' and all the missing comments from the 28-17 day gap showed up. I picked up T. Kingfisher's Halcyon Fairy Book mentioned by (I think) Sheri above - Kingfisher's comments had me in stitches several times, and I really liked her own adaptations at the end, especially the Snow White and Bluebeard adaptations. I then tried Margaret Atwood's Good Bones and Simple Murders, a collection of essays and other short fiction published in the 90's. If it were today, it would have been a blog - mostly experimental writing and mostly satire, and worth the effort if you like Atwood. Also several laugh-out-loud moments, and the sort of writing that rewards a re-read. Finally, a bit of a dud - a nonfiction by a father-daughter team of historians titled The War Queens, about women who have been military leaders, or least led their nations during a war. Covered a number of interesting women (e.g. Boudicca, Cleopatra, Njinga of Angola, Artemisia of Caria, Elizabeth I...) and ending with 3 modern leaders such as Golda Meir, but the style was chatty and not very insightful. I borrowed R.H. Blyth's monumental work Haiku, but discovered I have Vol III, so will be taking it back to the library and getting Vol I instead, for a better introduction. I'm getting rather lost in Vol III....See MoreWhat are you reading? June 2025 Edition
Comments (80)Last Twilight In Paris - historical fiction novel by Pam Jenoff. A new book & an interesting WW II story about a furniture store in Paris where Jews were imprisoned and forced to sort, set up displays and act as sales staff to help German Nazi officers choose items from belongings plundered from Jewish homes. The story line is told from a point in 1953 and about a former wartime Red Cross Volunteer who is trying to resolve an event from her wartime experience in 1944. I generally avoid reading stories about any of our Wars or anything involving our military - just too hard. But, this is a great read about people with integrity, courage and with a strong will to survive....See More- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

2020 AU Houzz & Home Renovation Trends Study
Read on for an overview of Houzz & Home Renovation Trends Study in 2019 and 2020
Full Story0

TRENDING NOWThe Most Popular Kitchen Tours of 2020
Lots of white and wood, high-contrast style and smart storage made these the most-read kitchen stories of the year
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 10 Most Popular Basements of 2020
Home bars, kitchenettes, game tables, cozy reading spots — see the features that made these the top spaces
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 10 Most Popular Patio and Deck Tours of 2020
The most-read stories from our Patio of the Week series show clever ways outdoor areas can create more living space
Full Story
INSIDE HOUZZTop Takeaways From the 2020 U.S. Houzz Bathroom Trends Study
See which design styles and features homeowners want in their master bathroom remodels now
Full Story
INSIDE HOUZZTop Colors and Materials for Master Bath Remodels in 2020
White remains the top color, and ceramic and porcelain are trending, the 2020 U.S. Houzz Bathroom Trends Study shows
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 10 Most Popular Swimming Pools of 2020
Dip a toe into the most-saved pool photos on Houzz this year and get ideas for creating your own summer oasis
Full Story
EVENTSThe Latest Looks for Cabinets at IBS and KBIS 2020
White and wood finishes dominated at the trade show, but companies also displayed black, blue, green, gray and more
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSRemodeling and Design Pros Expect a Strong Business Year in 2020
Most pros expect growth despite rising labor and material costs, the 2020 U.S. Houzz State of the Industry report shows
Full Story
EVENTSThe Latest Trends in Kitchen Faucets at KBIS 2020
Faucets with professional looks and functionality, as well as accessory faucets, were featured at the recent trade show
Full Story
kathy_t