SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dean_kent17

Plasterboard - not drywall

Dean Kent
3 years ago

I am doing some repair work on my father's house, built (in California) in 1954. The walls appeared to be plaster at first glance, because they are very hard - they don't dent, they either chip or break when something is pounded on or in them.

I had a plaster professional come in, and he said that it is not plaster, but is plasterboard. I asked him if that meant drywall, as I have some experience working with that and this seemed different. He said that no, it is not drywall, but 'actual plasterboard'. He suggested just using drywall joint compound to fix small holes and cracks, as there is no separation from any walls or ceiling. He demonstrated to me the superiority of the material over drywall by pointing out a spot on the other side of the bathroom where moisture had leaked through. The hardwood floor was damaged from rot, but the wall was only discolored. He pounded his fist on it and said drywall would have just rotted and crumbled, but plaster is more water resistant and so we didn't need to worry about the discoloration - just paint over it.

I tried doing research on this, and virtually every article I have found say that drywall, gyprock and plasterboard are all the same thing. So I started questioning this guy's claims, but found a small sheet of the material up in the attic when we had the insulation removed. It is indeed 1/2 inch thick plaster with brown paper on both sides. I know it is plaster because it doesn't scratch or crumble when a nail is dragged across it, and it is very heavy - even at the scored/snapped edges. But it is wrapped exactly like drywall (top/bottom paper edges are closed, while side edges reveal the plaster in between).

Is this material available anymore? I love the fact that the walls are so resistant to dents and scratches. It's more difficult to hang pictures, as nails and screws are not easily driven through, but it just feels more solid (as I imagine a 'true' plaster wall might).

Feedback/suggestions? I'd had to have to use standard drywall for areas that need any replacement in the future.

Comments (5)