SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thebigad

How do I cut a small section of plaster ceiling?

thebigad
5 years ago

We have a 1950s ranch. It seems that some of the house has what I think are plasterboard walls and ceilings. For example, when I've drilled in the walls in the past, unlike drywall, the walls crumble, sections of wall fall out, drill holes look awful, etc.

We've had some leaks in the roof and a need to repaint some ceiling sections. The prior homeowners left no trace of the paint used and after trying a bunch of options, we are resigned to having to cut a small section of the ceiling in a corner and use that to get a paint match. I drew a 2 in x 2 in square. When I went to cut it with a straight blade, however, it was too tough to get the blade through. And then as I tried to score, I wasn't getting a clean cut and the ceiling was crumbling a little. Am I correct to assume that this is some type of plasterboard on the ceiling? From peeking behind a can light opening, it seems to be an inch or so thick of a cement like board white in the middle. Doesn't look like drywall.

If that is the case, how do I cut it with minimal crumbling so that I can get a section for a paint match?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (13)