SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Another kind of meat processing plant

Olychick
3 years ago

I'm a big fan of Mary's Organic Chickens out of California. I've been wondering if they were having processing plant problems because of Covid-19, but found a good supply at my food co-op. I purchased a whole organic chicken and roasted it a few days ago. When I was preparing it, I found the cavity stuffed full of giblets, like 6 or 7 gizzards, 3 livers, a couple of things I didn't recognize, lungs maybe? And a couple of hearts. The chicken was expensive so that added a fair amount to the total weight, which really made me mad. Never happened before, so I wrote an email to their customer service. I roasted the chicken and it was as delicious as ever.

The next day, I got a call from a woman from Mary's. She sounded quite elderly and I wondered if she was Mary, lol! She wasn't, but she was very apologetic. She said she'd put a $5 check in the mail to me. Then she said that because of all the processing plant problems around the country, they have tried to up their production to help with supply, so they've hired a lot of new workers, which she thinks is where the problem might have arisen.

I asked if they have avoided virus problems at the plant. She said they have, since the very beginning of knowing of the problem, they started taking precautions, like taking temps of workers. They have their own health clinic and interpreters so they can be sure their workers (most of whom are immigrants, or non-English speakers) will get health care. She said they've only had 2 cases and they were caught very early and no other problems.

It made me really happy to hear and glad that I support their business, even though the chickens can be more costly.

Comments (14)