Western bluebird vs. Mountain chickadee

Daniel Estes

I'm curious to see if anyone has any insights on this situation: I have a birdhouse that, earlier this season, had a bunch of interest from both some mountain chickadees and some western bluebirds. Even though the bluebirds were more aggressive (they'd try to scare off the chickadees every time the chickadees would inspect the house), the chickadees prevailed and have now moved in. Chicks were born about a week ago (I can hear them and see mom and dad fly in and feed them). SInce then, the bluebirds are back (now with three juveniles) and are obsessed with the chickadees' house. The bluebirds perch nearby and harass mom and dad, then peer in the house (but don't go in).
Anyway, I'm curious what's going on. Do bluebirds eat baby chickadees? If that was the case, it seems like it would have happed by now. Any other ideas?
Thanks!

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whwo

They are just prospecting for a home to raise their second brood, most likely. Bluebirds will not eat chickadee nestlings and usually aren't aggressive enough to usurp an active nest of another species. When the chickadees are done nesting, remove the nesting material and maybe the bluebirds will move in.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides How to Bring the Joy of Bluebirds to Your Garden
Attract these beautiful songbirds with nesting habitat and food sources, including berry-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story
Native Plants 10 Top Native Plants for the Rocky Mountain Region
Give your landscape a sense of place, and attract pollinators and songbirds, with these native plants
Full Story
Gardening Guides Bigtooth Maple, the West’s Native Sugar Maple
Plant Acer grandidentatum for cool shade, brilliant autumn colors and songbird habitat
Full Story
Biltmore Design Galleria is a Design-Build company with over 15 years or so of experience. We are firm believers... Read More
With over 25,000 man-hours of time spent in the field, Keda specializes in turning mundane property into a warm,... Read More