SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dontmather

How to help Fiddle Leaf Fig - cutback/seperate/prune?

dontmather
3 years ago

I am hoping to find answers/guidance/opinions/how to directions on how to help my fig. I have two separate dilemmas - I believe one is pruning or cutting back the other is separating trunks.

My fig has two trunks with opposite characteristics. One trunk is strong and tall yet it seems to grow less and less healthy. The other trunk is short and flimsy yet seems to be improving with age.

As for the taller of the two, I'm thinking... the top 1 1/2-2 feet need to be cut back (the thought of giving this haircut is TERRIFYING). Looking at the photos of the plant, about half way up the trunk you'll see where the changes begin. There are three flimsy leaves (ready to drop off at any second) followed by a long 4-5" internode of nothingness before a weak leaf was pushed out-and then quickly followed by healthier growth. I'm guessing some sort of nutritional deficiency caused this? That being said, the top portion of the plant is showing good health and the potential to be a independent plant. I have never given a haircut like this, or done any notching, pruning etc. If i were to cut this back, where exactly should I cut? Will this cutting lead to branching? Are there different approaches to take for different results? Suggestions? Personal experiences?

As for the shorter of the two, I feel bad for the little guy - I can tell he has the potential for great things and wants to break free. The trouble is the two trunks are connected yet I think they are both negatively effecting the progress of the other. I have read in the past that it is not a good idea to separate joined trunks; that it will most likely kill the plant. Is this true or false? If I can not separate the trunks, what other options do I have?

Background/location- My fiddle leaf fig and I live in Michigan, I adopted Big Fig roughly 2 1/2 years ago.

Light - He sits next to a east facing window.

Water - Over the off season I gave him a bath and soak when appearance showed signs of thirst. Now that were back in growing season, I will be back to 3 cups of water every Thursday with a soak&shower every third week or so.

Soil- Mixture of indoor potting soil, cactus succulent fast drainage soil, perlite and rocks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County