What's For Dinner #380

bragu_DSM 5

As we roar onward into the Covidian 20s ...

Eats and treats are still pretty neat ...

Whatta you gots for a kitchen feat?

SaveComment107Like
Comments (107)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

AC testing after a couple days of summertime heat. Summer salads. Bed of sautéed escarole, leek, garlic and shallot. Grains, beans, nuts and quick pickles. Gorgonzola.

1 Like Save    
bbstx

Dinner tonight is going to be chicken fajitas. I’ve never made fajitas before. I’m using this recipe from Simply Recipes. 🤞

ETA: fajitas are not happening today. They need to cook in a “smoking hot cast iron skillet,” which for me means using the side burner on my grill. We are having rain showers. Maybe tomorrow will be sunny and I can make the fajitas! Supper tonight has turned into “Musgeaux.” That is when you open the fridge and say, “These leftovers must go!”

Second ETA: The chicken fajitas were fantastic tasting, but not photo worthy. I will use that recipe again!

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Wow, the last thread went fast!!

I seldom post food pics on my page on FB, I save them for this group :-)

But one showed up in my memories from 4 years ago. It was nice to get a reminder of it, and that we enjoyed it, and that I should make it again. When I remember, I do go back on older threads of WFD for inspiration of my own meals, I'll have to do that again.

This is chicken that was marinated in hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, etc, then grilled and served over lettuce, with the same type of dressing. We both loved it.

1 Like Save    

I also do the same thing I do every season. Look back to last year this time for inspiration. Or going back a few years. Especially when the season changes so quickly. 60º to 80ºF overnight.

Proteins in rotation. Shrimp, salmon, chicken, steak of some kind, pork, and the great American burger, BLTA...always trying something new in rotation as well.

Nights have been cooler weather so we can bake bread early am. Stovetop beans/grains. Slow roast pork shoulder for 7 hours needs to go on the grill/smoker outside now. Stovetop braised chicken takes only 40 minutes so really easy with a good range hood.

Forgot about my shrimp salad sandwich. Can't get ribs, (bummer)

Save    
annie1992

Wow, that DID go fast. It must be salad time, it's been in the high 80s here so definitely salad weather, although I haven't made any. Mother refuses to eat any "leaves", she tells me to just feed them to the cows, LOL. She used to love salad, but apparently changed her mind! Mother has been here for two weeks and that just takes a lot of time.

I followed Jasdip's lead and made that "Eggroll in a Bowl" for supper tonight, but it wasn't pretty, so no pictures. Last night it was baked chicken and before that split pea soup and corn muffins. I don't remember before that, LOL.

I've been doing some pandemic cooking, I cooked some scarlet runner beans today, they're really pretty. I'm leaning toward making a bean and corn salad with them.

I baked a rhubarb pie with the first cutting of rhubarb, and put the rest of the cutting in the freezer:

The Princess was here this weekend, watching Great-Grandma while I gardened, and she made a peanut butter pie with chocolate syrup:

I was busy planting these, that's Mother in the background, all 4'6" of her, LOL. As I said, it's been in the high 80s so I didn't enjoy my gardening as much as usual. I spent 6 hours one day planting my seedlings and 6 hours the next day putting in seeds. Now I'm hoping for rain, so those seeds will sprout!

I've picked asparagus a couple of times, put some in the freezer and roasted some for a couple of meals:

Saturday is my birthday, so tomorrow I'm baking something, but I haven't decided yet. I told Elery I was going to follow 2many's example and just have snacks all day, no big meals. I just haven't decided what yet...

Annie

3 Likes Save    
Lynda R (USDA 9b, Sunset 23)

We had a red, white and blue salad yesterday. It had our salad greens, strawberries, our blueberries, feta and chicken, with a homemade blueberry vinaigrette. Tonight we are bbqing tri tip and serving it with risotto and steaming our just picked green beans.

@annie1992 your asparagus look great. Happy Birthday!

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

Williebird turkey sausages, leftover (again) tater salad and a green salad. Recovering from high 90s! Actually makes me ill! Headaches, heat rash, sour stomach.

Thankfully just mid 80's today and dropping!

Maybe I can actually cook something this weekend! I'm just so done in with this kind of heat!

Save    
neely

Happy birthday to Annie and aren’t those scarlet runner beans so pretty. The actual plants look good as well when growing in the garden... make a nice climber.

A whole lot of good cooking going on everyone.

DH made these burgers on bread slices with cheese. Could these be called Patty Non Melts. ???

The green leaves are arugula which I call rocket.

1 Like Save    
neely

Another day, another dinner.

Hot pot made with mince, lentils, onion,garlic, herbs, seasoning, stock, peas, carrot and crunchy potatoes on top.

2 Likes Save    

Three post now have not posted. Not at all political so makes no sense. I'm on another cooking and gardening forum that does not ever exclude mini mention of current events. Such a shame to be muzzled here. We shall see what is the future...I might have to leave this format if I'm muzzled from a simple food forum. Makes no sense.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

No, that is not OK, Sleeve. We should be able to talk to one another here, as friends do. This is a time when it's not just about food, for me. Current events and discussions about them should not be stifled. But please don't leave.

On the cell phone, photos won't upload, so later. : )

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Ok, seems they uploaded. Really great looking meals! Love Neely's hot pot, and non-melts! Your chicken looks so good Jas, all flavors I love. Annie, your asparagus... Nice! Those beans are so pretty. Sleeve, as always, amazing salads. You have us hooked on flageolet beans, microgreens, and pickled mustard... a must on all mixed salads! ETA: Annie, I can't let this go... Your rhubarb pie is luscious looking!

Spent the day in the garden, planting tomatoes, peppers, and tending to others. Annie, this heat is a killer! How the heck did you spend so many hours outside planting without getting heatstroke?! Lost a few tomatoes, only one Cherokee Carbon, but we'll manage. Last weekend helped DH put up the old cabinets in the garage, he's excited to finally start getting his zillion tools there. Pulled a muscle so Memorial Day dinner was yesterday. Made Alton Brown's Once and Future beans with Santa Maria Pinquitos beans. Yum. Ribs on the grill, hickory, low, slow, and stacked. Ann T's sauce on the side. Applesauce (not photographed) and watermelon. Dessert for hubs was Lars's strawberry ice cream. I won't deny I had some... Oh, and picked more mixed lettuce from my garden. Running out our ears there's so much!

4 Likes Save    
2ManyDiversions

Continuing the salad theme... Yay! I roasted beets, and finally, finally, I love them! Still a wee bit of the 'dirt' flavor, but overall sweetness! I couldn't stop eating bites! DH still just tastes dirt, so none for him. Thanks to all who encouraged me ☺️. We had western hash last night, hubs ate most of it but it's not really photogenic. I ate a large salad... with roasted beets, chilled. There *is* a lot of lettuce under all the other, lol!

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Oh my Lord, those ribs!!!! Is that AnnT's spicy/savoury barbecue sauce? That's all I've made the past few years. it's taken over from my regular, cooked bbq sauce.

Pssssst, 2MD, I'm adoptable. (and house-trained).

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Yep! Ann T's spicy ribs sauce! I add a bit of pre-made sweet BBQ sauce to it for myself. I also use her recipe for the rub, which is only lime juice, S & P, and minced garlic, overnight. As your are house trained, I'd love to adopt you, but only if you also make me your cast iron meals. Living in the Southeast, it's embarrassing to me that you are so much better at cast iron cooking!

Save    
bbstx

I made this dump cake (please, is there another name???) from Simply Recipes last night. It is made from scratch and sooo easy. I used frozen peaches because fresh aren’t in season yet and I’m working on using up everything in the freezer!

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

That looks good, and no canned fruit or cake mix! Thank you for the link. I usually add toasted pecans to mine for a crunch (on top of the flour). Not made it in eons and no idea where the recipe is, so glad to have this one. The name is unfortunate, but how would one know it's a dump cake, otherwise 😁 You've changed your... What are they called... Your screen icon. Pretty!

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

LOL 2MD! And I bought another cast iron goodie!! A pizza pan. I'll be using it for pizzas, bake my rolls on, etc.

And Bud is happy because he got a box!!!

5 Likes Save    
bbstx

@Jasdip what brand is the cast iron pizza pan?

Save    
2ManyDiversions

It looks so smooth (the pizza pan, although Bud looks pretty smooth, too!). Will it fit in your cuisinart toaster oven? I'm so over our steamy hot weather (and it's just now June?). Coz if it'll fit in yours, it'll fit in mine... for when the adoption is finalized! Yeah, what brand? ETA: That made no sense. It's awfully hot to run outside to grill the pizza. My toaster oven is nice to use in the hotter months.

Save    
Jasdip

It's 14" so too big for the Cuisinart, it fits but the door doesn't close, so just short :-( but not overly big to handle.

Camp Chef which is Canadian. Lodge makes one as well, the handles are bigger. I'm looking forward to using it! I bought it because it was only $25.

Save    
bbstx

I think this is the Lodge equivalent but it too is 14”. Lodge also makes a handless 9.25” round, but I think that is too small to use for pizzas. Guess I’ll just stick with my trusty pizza stone. It fits in my Breville oven.

Save    
Jasdip

I've been using my cast iron skillet for pizzas. I wanted to try this pan for that and other things.

Speaking of cast iron skillets...

And crashed potatoes! My roasted carrots got a bit charred, but they're so sweet!

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Ah, gosh that looks so good! Love the closeup of the chicken in the skillet, it's making my mouth water. And I never mind a bit of char, ever.

Worked outside again today, this time planting flowers, or "my flars" as we like to kid (southern redneck for flowers); mended a cat chewed area in the drip line - kitten must've gotten to it on the porch. Planted more seeds. I'm always planting seeds, ha! My microgreens are growing again, now that the tomatoes aren't hogging the lights. They were a leaning tower yesterday, threw off the can weight today. So, leftover ribs, huge salad, and those twice baked potatoes I made ages ago. Forgot about those!

Save    

That chicken looks great!

1 Like Save    

We made sushi tonight with local blue fin tuna and Scottish farmed salmon. It paired perfectly with our home made pinot grigio. So good!

5 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Made some chicken breast, Napa cabbage with Thai spicy Thai Chile sauce Chinese and then spooned it in a tortilla with some shredded cheese to make Chi-mex quesadillas.

Oh yeah! DW thot they were good too.

2 Likes Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Pizza for us tonight. DH likes crust that is just barely there, while my fave is deep-dish in a buttered cast iron skillet. Sauce was seasoned with home-grown herbs: basil, oregano, parsley and a bit of thyme. I didn't get a pic of DH's pizza before he started eating, he was "HONGRY!"

Tried a new-to-me crust recipe. DH, who is not much of a bread eater, liked it. Mine got a little overdone. Recipe called for making up the pizza then putting it in a hot skillet. I patted the dough into a cold skillet, then piled on the toppings. I wanted to make sure the crust got done in the middle so I didn't exactly jump up and run when the timer went off. Should have! So I will definitely try this one again because even overdone it tastes good.

Save    
annie1992

Oh my, everything looks good!

Lynne, you reminded me that I should make some sushi. My husband is trying to avoid "carbs" and so doesn't want to eat rice, but he might just have to accommodate me, or else make his own dinner!

Jasdip, I love the cat picture. My cat does the same thing, my granddaughter Madison says "if he fits in it, he gets in it". They just love boxes and bags and baskets. And thanks for the recommendation on the lodge pizza pan. I need one.

Edie, I made pizza too. It didn't look anywhere near as good as yours, and the crust was hard before it was done. Not crunchy, hard. Mother couldn't eat it, it was so hard. I baked it in two large cake pans that I have, I should have thought and used my cast iron pans.

2many, I love beets, no matter how they are cooked, I just planted a row of red ones and a row of golden beets, and they'll all be used before winter. I also cook the tops, they are one of my favorite greens. I didn't get heat stroke, I just got cranky. Summer is my least favorite season, anything over 80 is just too hot for me, ugh.

sleevendog, Houzz is weird, don't let them get the best of you. Who knows what their problem is?

Neely, your hot pot looks like something I'd like a lot. I'm sure it's the potatoes, LOL, I LOVE potatoes.

So what's for dinner here? I made some homemade chicken nuggets because it's one of the few things Mother will eat. She picked off all the breading, but at least she ate the chicken:

She helped me can some pickled asparagus, although she refuses to eat asparagus no matter how it's prepared:

We had that tres leches cake:

I baked some biscuits for strawberry shortcake, which Mother used to love. She doesn't any more, go figure:

This was a salad that I made with some of those scarlet runner beans, fresh corn, artichokes and a light dressing. It was ugly, but good.

I'm sure we had other things, but I can't remember what they were. I know I have mizuna ready to pick and bok choi that I need to thin, so tomorrow will probably include a stir fry, or some greens of some type.

Annie

4 Likes Save    
Jasdip

I love your chicken nuggets, Annie! I'd sure be scarfing those down, batter and all!

Edie, I love homemade pizza. Mine never looks pretty at all, but it tastes good.

Lynda Radke, now that's patience, making all that sushi! Sure looks good.

I was thinking about the chicken that I made on the weekend, and I'm going to have to do that again this weekend. It was so darned good!

I'll probably heat up some barbecue sauce to have with it, and dip it in like Swiss Chalet style. Oh you don't have Swiss Chalet in the states, do you? It's rotisserie chicken with sauce on the side and everyone (except me) goes nuts for the sauce. I won't post a pic, unless it's extra-ordinarily good, yet another pic of a chicken leg LOL

Our local restaurant supply store had a recipe on how to make sorbet. So easy, frozen fruit, honey and some warm water to loosen, in the food processor. This is strawberry-mango

2 Likes Save    
2ManyDiversions

Lynda, that's a lot of sushi! LOL! Very nicely done, but I think you shoulda shared with those of us (me, me, me!) who can't get sushi grade fish locally : ) And your pinot grigio! Edie I laughed out loud when I saw your DH's plate! I used to do that too... leave the crust behind! I don't do that anymore : ) Both pizzas look really, seriously, good. Annie, you and Jas, with your luscious chicken photos! Those nuggets are ridiculously mouthwateringly perfect. Mentioned already in the other thread, but I can easily say it again, that tres leches cake looks so good! And I am quite envious of your asparagus : ) Jasdip, go ahead, torture me with yet another photo of your perfectly done chicken... really, I'd like you too! I've got to aspire to something : ) Ah, strawberry mango sorbet... now that makes my mouth really water! I know you are loving that! I'll be looking for your chicken...

Hot here. 87 F in the shade, supposed to be 89, and I feel it'll get there. Even the cats are feeling the heat, though they won't come in off the back porch.

I'm feeling like Bill Murray in Caddyshack. Dang blasted chipmunks are eating my baby strawberries! They eat only the white part, and toss the pink and red into the center of the fruit garden, taunting me with their cavelier ways. I've done everything I could think of short of something 'dramatic'. It might come to that. I picked up blasting caps and dynamite at Home Depot today. Just kidding! Or am I?

SheliaJoyce posted about dry pork chops of late (I agree), and this is what we had for dinner last night. Nice and moist, an easy meal for me to make. I froze the leftovers. (Typed it out, trying a new 'system' for recipes')

We had green beans, and a baby red arugula salad with craisins (yep, that's right), feta cheese, and spring onions. Gosh that photo is huge.

Tonight we're having fast food... fast as in Poofed, chicken pot pie... and yes, another salad : ) Can't really get enough of those! I sure could go for some strawberry mango sorbet afterwards... Canada is just so far to drive, though!

I mentioned it was hot, right?

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Popping back on to add: We are experiencing another round of hoarding/shortages again. Paper towels, toilet paper (of course!), dishwashing liquid, brand name foods, and flour. Never had alcohol or disinfectants other than what we started with. Covid rate has shot up again here. Gee, wonder why. I'm being sarcastic : )

Save    

The back story of so much sushi, is that it is a 10 minute drive to the harbor, then I had to stand in line outside in a mask for 15 minutes to get inside, then another 10 minute wait while inside. By the time I was ready to order, my son and I were starved and our eyes were bigger than our stomachs. It took my family of three sushi lovers, two full days to eat it all. The fish market in the harbor often buys fresh catch from our commercial fisherman. I've learned when they have something local to go with it. Tonight we are trying some local yellow tail, which was an impulse buy when I was picking up the sushi grade fish.

Save    
Jasdip

You have to wait to see another chicken meal, that's for the weekend :-)

Hot and humid here! I hate, hate the humidity. Me and summer don't get along. I'll come and visit you in the winter 2MD!! Petunia and Snow look hot, too!!

Last night while working I had the urge for a sub. So I meandered to the local bakery......an absolutely delightful owner owns it. Funny, Tom would go in there and treat himself to sourdough or rye bread, and after he died I went in and told her. She'd seen him on tv as well when the local news interviewed him for the Ride for Dad, prostate cancer etc. She got quite emotional.

I'd since popped in a couple of times, showed her pics of the quilt, bought some buns, so I bought some buns today and a kaiser. What utterly amazes me, is that she remembers and calls me by name every time. That's a real knack, remembering names, especially since I'm not a regular, she knows me thru Tom :-)

Cold cuts, pepper rings, onion rings, chopped lettuce and melty cheese. All baked open-faced and then closed. Frozen french fries again! I'm so lazy!

ETA: 2MD, I'm sorry, I knew your kitty had a P, but Annie reminded me that it's Penelope! I knew it was a cut/funny/unusual name! Not Petunia, as I said. LOL

3 Likes Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, you and I are sisters, I swear. Summer is my least favorite time of year, the only thing I like about it is the garden. Anything over 80 is just too darned hot, and it's hit 85F+ a couple of days. This is Michigan, it's not supposed to get that hot, at least not this early, ugh. And those thick crinkly cut frozen fries are the only ones my Mother will eat, so there's no shame in that!

2many, Penelope and Snow look pretty comfortable, there's something about cats, they WILL be comfortable, even if you aren't. After all, they're cats, LOL. I'm envious of your green beans, mine are just now coming up, but when they are ready, I'll have all I want!

Lynda, I always over estimate the amount of sushi I can eat, and I always want a couple of kinds, it's too hard to choose. Here in Michigan we're a long way from any ocean, so I only indulge in sushi with cooked seafood components. I never trust the freshness, it all has to be shipped so far. We have always had a lot of Asian car executives in Michigan because of the car companies, so we actually have pretty decent sushi. Of course, being from the Midwest, I tend to like the tempura-battered and deep fried ones the best. I know, I'm a heathen. (sigh)

Tonight I cubed up a couple of pork chops, put them into the crockpot with some canned Hatch chilies (mild, I'm a wuss), seasonings and an onion, cooked it until it fell apart and then put it on tortillas. It wasn't pretty, but it turned out better than all those mush sous vide pork chops, dry air fryer pork chops and tough pan fried pork chops, so that's a good thing, I have several more packages in the freezer from that pig we bought in the spring.

Tomorrow I need to mulch asparagus and plant a couple of sweet cherry trees. Corn and beans are up and need hoeing and the tomatoes are big enough to mulch too. I'm trying to think of something that can go into the crockpot.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

Tried a new recipe last night. Here, it's broad bean season. Spread a tub of ricotta on a dish and season. Make some gnocchi and finish in a pan with some butter til crispy and add to the ricotta. Sprinkle with cooked and peeled broad beans and crispy pancetta. It was very tasty.

Save    
neely

Sounds good Islay Corbel. All meals sound and look good.

An Asian stir fry. I say Asian because it has elements of Vietnamese, Thai and Chinese. My version of fusion Hah! Still it tasted pretty good.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Lynda, if I lived near fresh-caught fish, I'd be buying everything in sight! I tried non-fish sushi once, and it was not a pretty sight. I admire anyone who can put it together, roll it, cut it, and have it look like yours : ) I once lived near fresh fish, and I have bought fish I'd never heard of, and of course, being fresh, it was always good! Well, Jasdip, {tapping fingers on table}... it's Friday... does that count as the weekend? LOL! As for the shop owner, don't sell yourself short, my dear friend. She remembers you initially through Tom, but now she remembers you and your name because you stand out as an incredibly nice person and you've made an impression on her, and I know she likes you a great deal. Your sub sounds and looks delicious. And yes, I'll say it, I use pre-made fries. I don't really see that as a short-cut or a cheat. Ever. Those fries look really good to me... especially this moment! How was your sorbet? Islay, that sounds really good. I have a hard time crisping pancetta (I tend to burn it)! I'll have to give that a try, but I'll need to find broad/fava beans first. I like the idea of the ricotta : ) Neely, first, I love the buds and flowers! And thank you, I occasionally hesitate to label a dish 'Asian' as I realize it's a broad term, and I think, well, people will think I don't know much (and often, I don't). But like you, I do like to mix elements, and particularly flavors. It's not authentic to one region, but if it tastes good, does this matter? I think not. I like 'Asian fusion'!

Yes Annie, I saved you for last : ) When you have a method that works for you when all others fail, stick with it! I think there are a lot of dishes that aren't 'pretty', but we all know they're good : ) Your pork tacos sound lovely, and I don't even know what hatch chilis are, but I know if you'll eat them, so can I! LOL! Those are just canned green beans. Which is fine. I wanted to say thank you again for your incredible generosity in sending so many seeds when I couldn't get them. OFF TOPIC: I have enjoyed planting seeds, babying them, caring for them, watching their progress, and eating the end results more than I can ever express, and I know you understand how I feel, my sheer delight in seeing the vegetables grow and produce. Between the sun poisoning, the mosquito and spider bites, the red face (from effort), and the fact that I often smell of a mix of perspiration, sunscreen, and bug repellent, I'm often a mess these days, but I'm in heaven! I'm making mistakes which I'll learn from. Please tell Elery thank you (again) for getting me collard seeds, and that this Tennessean gal has lovely, healthy collards growing in her garden right now! The pink half runner beans (which I almost hugged when they poked up through the dirt) are also healthy and growing! The kale you sent got planted late, but it's poking through the earth now. I picked my first (rather late) sugar snap pea yesterday, and DH and I shared it immediately, eating it raw, amazed at the fresh sweetness. I'll be picking quite a few this next week! Anyway, thanks for letting me share my gardening enthusiasm here : )

Time to mulch here, as well. And yes, I'll have to hoe first, but my garden is far smaller, and that won't take long. Chipmunks 1, 2MD 1. We're tied in our battle.

Anyway, roasted chicken last night, adding white wine, green peppercorns in brine to the drippings for a gravy. Salad from our garden : )

And since many others are on the Annie's no knead bread train, I felt I'd better hop on too! Just pulled this out of the oven : )

DH says the one thing he doesn't like about working at home... the smells from the kitchen drive him crazy with hunger! LOL! This one is really doing a number on him!

1 Like Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
Jasdip

Your excitement is jumping off my screen 2MD! How incredibly wonderful to have all those healthy, sprouting, growing seeds, and a bounty to choose from every day!!! I'm so damned happy for you, my dear friend!

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Aw, thank you so much for that, Jasdip. I wonder if others get tired of my jabbering sometimes. It's a great friend who's happy for someone else's excitement : )

Save    
2ManyDiversions

OFF TOPIC AGAIN: Thunderstorms today, and now I'm dead in the water. No computer, no router. I'll be back soon as I can replace them! I don't like typing on a cell!

Save    
Jasdip

Annie, you and I are definitely sisters! I'd be out with your animals, fencing, all the time with you. Preferably in the fall! LOLOL

Today was the first Taco Salad of the summer! I pigged out because it was so darned good.

2 Likes Save    
lizbeth-gardener

That looks scrumptious, Jasdip!

Save    

Everything looks good though my appetite is down. Bummer to loose power during all this mess. Our AC went out. Thankfully the humidity less than it has been. Cooler temps ahead.

Had to deal with a stressful dental emergency. A way back molar was fractured after loosing the filling. (happened at the same time.) Happened 5-6 days ago. So yesterday part one. But he could not finish the job and referred me to an oral surgeon. Bummer. Did that today. They were expertly careful. The surgeon much better. Wait in car, call, one patient leaves, they clean the room, then I went in. A sticker thermometer placed on my forehead...gloves, masks, face shields. Frankly it was nice to have human contact. Conversations. New technology shows my x-rays in 30 seconds on a screen right in front of me so we could discuss. One option was to postpone until Monday and be put under. (that freaks me out). Decided to 'go for it'. Get it over with. Went better than expected. Surgeon and two assistants. One held my head gently. Odd that I actually enjoyed the experience. (weirdo). lol. He gave me his cell phone # for any discomfort 24/7. Helped that I am well versed in meditation. I refuse to use any opioids having a pretty high pain threshold. We shall see. This surgeon does not prescribe but does an in-office contact to the area, not any oral pain killers. Such a relief.

Did not intend to write a book. Yawn. But do not be afraid to get back into medical issues. I had extensive phone call screening, then again in the office.

Do ask their protocol if you need to go in for any medicals. I never expected this. (FU popcorn)

Any who. I have made so many exceptional meals....just not feeling social these days. Maybe in a few days depending on discomfort, 😂😜

So many good meals this past week...

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5

So many good meals! It makes me hungry just looking at your pictures! We are having whole roast chicken tonight. We stuff it with a cut up orange and season it with my orange, thyme, and rosemary sea salt. For dessert, we are having bananas foster. We have been growing bananas for a few years now, and this is only our third bunch, so it is still quite a treat to have them.

My 11 year old wouldn't touch them. His loss as they were really good.

annie1992

Sleevendog, I hope you heal quickly, no matter how good that soup looks. Terrible timing, but that doctor seems like he has the entire situation well under control. Stay healthy and get better quickly! Like you, I refuse to use opioids, I have a pretty high pain tolerance level, plus they just make me sick to my stomach and then I feel really terrible. I had my furthest back molar pulled several months ago and managed to get by with very little pain, just a few naproxyn (because that's what I had on hand) at night the first couple of nights. The stitches drove me crazy, though, I could feel those little ends of the thread and everything got caught in them and I couldn't brush it out. That annoyance was worse than the procedure!

Islay, you must have read my mind. I just printed a recipe for ricotta gnocchi, thinking maybe Mother would like it. Now I definitely have to make it.

Neely, Asian or not, that shrimp looks good to me. I like "Asian" food, even if it's usually not authentic. I've been thinking of sesame chicken...

Jasdip, I'd love to have you nearby, we could farm together! Mostly in the fall and spring, LOL, although winter doesn't cause me too much consternation either, just summer. Oh, that taco salad is a good idea, I'll have to make that next week with all my "salad greens" from my hoop house, I have a ton of 'em.

2many, I know exactly what you mean, I check my garden every day to see what new plant has poked its head up. I talk to them and Elery smiles and shakes his head. I'm glad everything is growing well. Elery says that he was happy to get those collard seeds for you, you CANNOT deprive a Tennessee girl of her collards. (grin) I hope you like the pink half runners, Elery canned extra last year and sent a case of 12 quarts to his brother and another case to his sister, as his son was going down to visit. The son left both cases with Elery's sister and she refuses to give the brother his dozen, LOL, she says he can eat them at her house when he comes to visit! She also told Elery that they are usually not available but when she found some they were $40 a bushel! Heck those things are like gold!!! Anyway, enjoy them. And, coincidentally, they have beautiful pink blossoms when that time comes. Also coincidentally, I have a loaf of the no-knead bread on the counter to rise overnight. There we go, thinking alike again. OFF TOPIC: I hope you are feeling well and growing more healthy every day, I'm thinking strong thoughts for you. And, of course, for your computer and router!

Lynda, I've been digging down to the bottom of my freezer, and I'm hoping to find a whole chicken. No bananas here in Michigan, of course, but I have sage and thyme and oregano and tarragon, I usually stuff those inside the chicken along with an orange, I thought I was the only one who did that! (My Mother is allergic to lemons so I seldom have those). Yeah, back to digging tomorrow, I WANT that roast chicken!

Here? As I said, I'm getting to the bottom of the freezer. I came across a package of locally made sausage with asparagus, made by the man who processes my beef. The hoop house had mizuna, spinach and some bok choi that needed thinning, so I made a salad with some of my home canned pickled beets, the last of the Scarlet Runner beans, an egg from my "girls" and a honey mustard dressing made with some homemade yogurt. Yup, a big plate of leaves. They were green. Ahem.

Tonight we had more "leaves", as well as some sauteed asparagus and some leftover chuck roast. I forgot to take pictures.

Tomorrow is Ashley's birthday, so I have a Texas Sheet Cake on the counter and a loaf of that no knead bread rising on the counter. I should get something out of the freezer, although if I ask Madi and Maci, they'll want spaghetti, just like always.

Annie

3 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
Jasdip

Sleeve, I too broke a tooth earlier this year on popcorn! I'm glad you were able to get it fixed. Our dentists have opened last week but some media is saying they're only allowed 3-4 patients per day with all the extensive cleaning in between. Good grief, no business can survive on that few.

No cleanings, I called as I had a long-standing app't booked for yesterday and they're booking cleanings for November.

Lynda, welcome to the Cooking Forum! Hubby made bananas foster a couple of years ago as the contribution to a nice meal I was making for us. Where do you live, that you grow bananas?

Save    

@Jadsip Thank you for the welcome! I love to cook and have been finding a lot if inspiration in this group. We live in Santa Barbara, on the central coast of California. We have been in our home for 25 years and grow a wide variety of things from tropical to traditional. Our climate allows for year round growing, and we produce 99% of our fruit, vegetables and herbs. My cooking tends to follow what I am harvesting at any given time.

@2MD Sushi making is a family affair for us. DH makes the rice and prepares the filling items. I do the rolling, which gets pretty easy if you do it enough. Our 11 year old son, sets the table and adds sesame seeds and oil to the rolls before I roll them. I keep telling our son how much his future wife is going to appreciate his growing and cooking skills.

@annie We just discovered the orange stuffed in the cavity trick and it has literally turned roast chicken into one of our favorite dishes. It is amazing what a difference it makes. I will have to try adding the herbs to the cavity, as we grow oregano, thyme and sage. We have been getting our whole chickens from costco. They are good quality and very affordable.

2 Likes Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Had a really good meal, to me, last night. I had made tuna salad and had some leftover. So had that last night, along with some leafs of romaine lettuce, Kalamata olives, pimiento stuffed Manzanilla olives, avocado, and cherry tomatoes. It was so very tasty and satisfying.

Save    

I like a good well dressed tuna salad,...olives, avocado, pecans, etc. Purchased a case of 12 back in early March. Then we figured out our shopping delivery plan. Using up fresh and freezer for now.

The sushi platter is amazing Lynda. We do the same set-up for fresh spring rolls. DH is an excellent prep cook. I do the rolling.

I was curled up most on the morning like 2MD's kitties. Curled around an ice pack. Feel good. But looking like a chipmunk. Hunter pup got one yesterday. Crushed it but we got her away from it. Its cheeks were full of nuts.

A treat in last weeks delivery...a full case of 12 big pints.

Cherry tom salads. Tarragon and the celery root are doing great.

2 Likes Save    

roasted potatoes and veg roots...lamb chops

seagrass_gw

We had our first take-out meal since March. Pizza delivered curbside. What a treat. Enough left for dinner tomorrow night.

Save    

@sleevendog I hope you are feeling better. Those lamb chops look pretty amazing!

Save    
Islay Corbel

In all the years I've visited this forum this is one thread that I miss out on as I never think to take pictures of food......I dive right in and eat it lol. I'll try to do better.

1 Like Save    

Anniversary lobster rolls. Two each. 😜

5 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5

That looks amazing.

Save    
sarahsocal

Those lobster rolls look amazing!!

We had this last night:

Alas no pictures when it was done but it was delicious!!

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

For the first time ever, I made polenta last night. It was just plain, water, salt, polenta. Cooked it in my IP. It was so good. Had it with green beans with garlic and onion, also cooked in the IP, and a country style rib cooked in the IP, too. Forgot to take a picture. The polenta was supposed to be a serving for one, but I could eat only 1/2 of it, so mixed the other 1/2 with some broth than came off the rib (pure pork broth because it was cooked pot-in-pot style in the IP) and diced the small piece of left over rib to mix with it. Right now, the plan is to saute it when it has congealed one night this week and to serve two fried eggs and some warmed salsa on it with a side of avocado.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Gorgeous lobster rolls, Sleeve!!! I hope you're feeling better by now.

Annie.......freezers!! I get frustrated every time I go in mine (chest freezer). I hate rooting around in it, then I get mad and just slam the door and walk away. But the uprights just won't do for the amount that a chest holds. I see the ice is building up on the top and sides again, sigh, time for another defrosting session.

I've been without internet and home phone since Sat. Supposedly it'll be up and running tomorrow. I'm livid at the service. No phone or internet= no work.

I'm using my neighbour's internet now.

I made a new recipe, chicken, mushrooms, onions, broth (I used half broth and half wine) cream, simmered, served over noodles. The picture on the blog showed a delectable creamy rich sauce. Hah, not mine. Nothing to make it thick, the cream didn't do it. I ate it, but threw out the recipe. I hate blogs! LOLOL

But yesterday I roasted some chicken quarters, lost some of the skin when I turned it; and drums, along with onions, potatoes and carrots, early in the morning while it was still cool. In a heat wave now, did I mention I hate summer? 32C or 90F.

I heated it up in the microwave for dinner and heated some barbecue sauce for dipping. It was good! Helluva lot better than that other crappy recipe. :-)

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Well, Happy Anniversary again, sleevendog. I don't even have to tell you how I feel about those lobster rolls. (sigh) They look amazing.

Sarahsocal, now that's what I call a chunk of beef, wow!

Walnutcreek, Grandma would be proud of you. She always told me not to cook one thing when I could cook two or three using the same heat and pan. She was efficient!

Jasdip, I agree on the freezers, but I'd rather stand on my head fishing things out of the chest freezer than have everything fall out when I open the upright.

I'd be pretty upset if my phone and internet was out that long too, although mine is a company that put an antenna up on the roof. We're having storms tonight and 20MPH winds, so we'll see if my antenna is still there in the morning. If you don't hear from me, you'll know why, my internet will be out too!

Your chicken looks good, but those vegetables look amazing, I could make a meal of those.

Here I'm experimenting with the sous vide and I haven't managed to make anything with it that's worth shouting about. Tonight it was pork chops. The last batch I made was mushy, I guess I held them in the water bath too long. The purpose of the sous vide, for me, was to be able to put something in there and leave it, for hours if necessary, then take it out and grill/sear it when it was convenient. Turns out that doesn't really work, LOL, unless you like mushy meat. So, I went in the other direction and cooked them at 167F for 45 minutes. Because I won't eat pork rare or even medium rare, it's tricky to get it just right and not overcook. This way didn't work either, it was dry and tough. More experimenting, I suppose, but between the air fryer failures and the sous vide failures, I'm about to give up the gadgets and just overcook my pork chops in a skillet, the old fashioned way! Elery ate his and the dog was happy, she got mine.

I did brown some butter with fresh sage from the herb garden and use that to sear the pork, and served it with some leaves from the hoop house and a salad made of calypso beans and a jar of the home canned southwestern corn relish, a recipe I got from Readinglady.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

LOL at your 'overcooking the pork chops the old fashioned way, in a skillet' Annie!

I don't have room for any more gadgets, the air-fryer intrigues me, but there are so many out there, and I don't need to be eating fries, and fried chicken all the time. Like the Instant Pot that I was wondering about. Hubby and I visited his brother and SIL and she got one for Christmas. Me looking over the instructions and seeing the absolute size of the beast, turned me right off of getting one. She took it back, as well. She cooks everything she needs with the slow cooker, roasting, etc normally. I've never thought of an ip since, no desire at all.

Save    

My husband went to Costco today, and found no good beef or chicken options, but plenty of fish. Tonight's dinner was sesame seed crusted seared ahi, with a spicy lime soy sauce, jasmine rice with shallots, ginger and garlic, and sauteed green beans. Wine was our homemade 2019 Sauvignon Blanc. We had a hot day today, but by the time we were ready to eat, it was pleasant outside.

Jasdip

That's a heck of a meal Lynda!

I had some vegetables to use up, so stir-fry was calling me.

1 Like Save    
plllog

I don't usually post in this thread—for home I generally just prepare a bunch of food, and willynilly dish some up for meals. Today, however, my preparations turned into an actual dinner, rich and satisfying, with pictures. They were really good together, if very eggy. :) It was a hot day. :)

Salad of broccoli stem chips and thin sliced cucumber in a dressing of mayonnaise thinned and acidified with a generous amount of red wine vinegar, with a dehydrated herbs, pepper and smoked Spanish paprika.

Egg bake (somewhere between crustless quiche and baked omelette, but not actually either, eggs and cream but not custard) of red curly kale, with dried alliums, pepper, mushroom salt, and crushed red pepper flakes, topped with sharp cheddar.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
wintercat_gw

Pulled pork with Ann T’s TBQ sauce. I didn’t have garlic powder, so used fresh garlic. I didn’t feel sandwichy, so cooked some plain white rice. Melon for dessert.

Here’s the pulled pork right out of the oven:

Comfort food, and I needed some comfort. After buying that nice cut of fresh pork, I popped into the library to pick up a book I’d ordered. There were two librarians and two subscribers queuing up – each of us standing behind a red line 2 meters
from each of the librarians, but after a minute appeared another woman and walked
right up to me – actually right up into me, literally breathing down the side
of my face. She wasn’t even wearing a mask. Just a clear plastic face shield. I
told her to get away from me, so she reluctantly moved back a few centimetres.
I said that’s not 2 meters. Get away from me! (in Israel it’s the metric system,
so it’s not 6 feet but 2 meters). She moved back some more, but was still way
too close. “Don’t worry. No one is going to jump ahead of you in the queue”, I
told her. “I’m not worried someone might jump ahead”, she said. “So why are you gluing yourself to me?!” I asked. Her reply: “Because I feel like it!” And it
wasn’t a generation gap thing. She was about the same age as me: early sixties.
She also looked normal except for acting like a contrary teen.

The Ahi tuna looks so good. Not been in our Costco since the holidays. Surprised they are having protein stocking issues. Maybe its the new t-p crisis. Those with emptying freezers are stocking up.

We have cooked pork shoulder twice since mid March. Nice quick meals in the freezer. Usually big veg lettuce wraps using blanched Savoy cabbage.

Disturbing story about your social distancing experience. I just don't understand those that feel so entitled to aggravate those of us being responsible.

I'm ok after the stressful TWO dentals. So did not want to do that. And how different the two offices dealt with the virus. Most are careful anyway. They all want to protect themselves 24/7 for years. 9 days since that first appointment.

Terribly sad about the state of our country. We have been floating, holding our breaths, self-centered, for years. And muzzled to not speak up. Toxic work environments are rampant. Fortunately we are union and freelance. A toxic job will be over in just a few months.

Pilllog joins the party!!!😀

We have a weekly egg yada-yada. It just makes sense these days. Dinner, side veg. Also, what to call it, being so much veg content from the crisper. 'Frittata' works for us.

This one went back in the oven with a thick dust of pecorino. And a few more whole cherry toms.

We snaked on quick pickles in the kitchen that had a ginger dressing. That dressing on our salads with the mixed grain.

2 Likes Save    

This was good last week. Not sure if I posted or not. DH has wanted a pasta night in our rotation. (not usually but comfort food)

1/4 pint frozen mushroom ragu, 1/4 pint bone broth. (I took the fat layer off easily). like it sometimes.

Leek, celery. Soaked some dried porcini. Final excellent addition...a 1/4 cup of gooey fresh young gorgonzola.

2 Likes Save    
neely

Ouch Sleevendog, hope you are on the mend now.

Great looking meals everyone. So lovely to see ‘new’ posters’ meals. (Hoping that apostrophe is correct lol)

Crispy skin fish, salad and potato.... easy Friday night dinner.

2 Likes Save    

Crispy skin lovers here. Yum, and nice side salad.

I think you mentioned you are visiting with your family and new grand. So things are loosening up but you don't have mandatory masks?

I'm in no pain, swelling gone. Just was stressed about being in such close contact. It is almost day 10 so I doubt I was in close contact with a carrier of covid.

Thank goodness this surgery happened with our numbers way down. And mandatory masks for everyone. Our state is making our own and handed out free everywhere even free in my grocery delivery. And free hand sanitizer.

Our Governor Cuomo's daily address today..."This is not a mask. It is a chin guard, Cover your mouth AND your nose!"

Appetite good.

Salmon crispy skin in a cast iron skillet. Ginger/turmeric Meyer lemon. Should have put it under the broiler a few minutes but wanted it on the rare side. Fridge mixed grain and kimchi.

1 Like Save    

Another 'heap' plate last night. Burgers. If we had company I would have the toppings at the table for build-your-own and a side salad plate.

(salmon was Wed/Thursday night I think)

DH likes a pile tending to eat with his (clean) hands since a burger is hand held. Rather than spoon out from little bowls. Gorgonzola blob.

Pickled onions and cuke pickles. Radicchio and fennel slaw/salad.

1 Like Save    
neely

Great healthy looking meals there Sleevendog. We are gradually ‘opening up’ here, both the whole country and the city where I live. DH and I do have that country holiday home we also visit and I say my feet touch down only from our place to our place. We buy petrol/gas in the country town. Personally, we are being very cautious. Only visiting my son with his wife and our grandson. I know they are very strict, work from home and wear a mask for anywhere they might have to go. (rare). Mask wearing is not very prevalent here because our numbers of active cases are so low.

Melbourne (my city) has a population of over 4 million with at present 47 active cases. At our worst we had about 1700 cases with 19 deaths. Although we had a few hiccups with Cruise Ships, broadly speaking I think our Gov has done well by us. Shutting down the borders mid March and only allowing citizens into the country who must isolate for 14 days in Gov paid hotels. A lot of testing and tracing of people in contact with people with the virus. Then insisting they have complete isolation. The country has been pretty much locked down for 3 months. The Gov gave workers who lost their jobs or couldn’t work from home, $3000 per month which has enabled everyone to keep going, pay bills etc. Like everyone round the world DH and I are worried about a second wave so we continue to isolate as much as we can. Stay safe all our dear Cooking people from everywhere.

Dinner last night was pasta with meat sauce and veg.

2 Likes Save    

Those meals all look amazing!

@sleevendog Are those homemade hamburger buns? I have been wanting to try to do that forever.

We were craving steak, and not seeing anything great at Costco, so we stopped by one of our local universities. They have a meat and ag programs which sells directly to the public a couple of days per week.

We picked up several steaks, a fresh whole chicken, and some strawberries. The small group of students still on campus to caretake the program, do a great job taking orders by phone and email and bringing the orders out to the car. During the health crisis they have added produce boxes, ice cream and bread all grown or produced on campus. This is our third trip, since Covid began. This time we picked up a grass fed porterhouse that has to be the best steak I have ever had.

Save    

What a great service for the community.

Yes, we have been making the NYTimes Light Brioche Buns since it was published. Recipe HERE. The NYT has a paywall but have many recipes open since covid started and well as news articles. Link, HERE

We add just a tsp of sugar. Do not care for sweet breads. We don't stock milk so just add a couple Tbsp of plain yogurt to the cup of warm water. Any flour on hand works. (they freeze beautifully)

Another recipe HERE. OK idea for multiple batches. But not shaped properly.

1 Like Save    

Thank you so much. I can't wait to try it.

Save    
Jasdip

Your buns look fantastic, Sleeve! I made some yesterday, but I used too small of a container, and they rose together and have a triangular shape to them, not what I was looking for. :-(

Neely your pasta looks light and healthy!!

I can't count how many people I see with their nose hanging out of their masks. Frustrating.

Apologies for posting my food in my skillet more often than not. The cast iron group requires pics of the cast iron used, so I get lazy and just use the same photo here.

Tonite was chicken breasts browned and simmered in some chicken broth to cook, then topped with barbecue sauce, crisp bacon and cheese.

Save    

Pan seared salmon with our homegrown nectarine salsa, our green beans, jasmati rice and our sauvignon blanc. Yum!

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Not seeing any bargains on beef right now ... which is odd because it is usually when the county and state fair is going on. Alas, fairs are being scaled back or cancelled, meaning there is supply ... but the private processors are booked. $5 / lb ground beef is outrageous here in the buckle of the meat belt.

Save    
neely

Terrific meal and photo Lynda Radke.

It’s been years since I made a baked cheesecake with a pastry crust.

Looks OK. I’ll report back on the taste when we cut it.

3 Likes Save    

Now that is impressive. Just look at that crust.

Green beans already? You must have a long growing season. I have a couple nectarines but came in a Misfit box. I think I'll use one for a salsa.

Made some ginger/scallion baby meatballs for a white miso soup.

1 Like Save    

@Neely That cheesecake looks perfect! Mine taste fine, but never look that good.

@Sleevendog Yes, super long growing cycle, as we don't usually get freezes. Officially it is 355 days, but we ignore those 10 days and grow spring crops year round. We've had green beans for about a month now.

This time of year we are overwhelmed with fruit. We harvested the last of the nectarines on Friday. We've made nectarine salsa, jam, pico de gallo, wine, spicy sauce and pie filling....and I still have another bag to use up. We also have blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, ollalieberries, and boysenberries in season, so I have been canning jam and pie filling every few days.

Soup looks really good. I am a huge fan of ginger, especially in asian dishes.

1 Like Save    
cookebook

Shrimp fried rice, or Nasi Goreng. I use Marion Grasby's recipe and it sure is yummy.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Oh wow, Cookebooke!!! 😍😋My stomach growled! I'm going to google Marion Grasby and see if I can find it.

I'm watching it now, and I don't have the shrimp paste or the sweet, thick soy sauce. This should be a good time to use some of the gochujang sauce that I just bought I would think!

1 Like Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

@sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA), have you ever used the Light Brioche Buns recipe to make into a loaf of bread? The recipe sounds lovely and am glad you shared it - I have copied it. I just don't need buns right now, but do need a fresh loaf of bread.

Save    
shirl36

Cooking Forum!! What a place to come for cooking inspirations. Everybody’s Everything looks so good. Bread... Ken Forkish’s Autolyse Saturday Bread, I call my “Bucket Bread” I made twice last week. I slice, wrap and freeze, of course only one loaf made it to freezer.

Two rhubarb pies....

2 Likes Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Lynda R, I'd think I'd died & gone to heaven if we could get fruits and veggies to grow year-'round. So jealous about now. Our green beans & tomatoes are just starting to blossom. I talk to to tomato plants every day trying to encourage them to turn at least some of those blossoms into tomatoes!

Save    

Looks good shirl! We use KenForkish as well. Basically a JimLahey 'No knead' with a few pinch-and-folds. An improvement over Jim's 'gateway' loaf. His intention was to make it simple.

@walnut. We make a Pullman loaf for sandwiches. Half whole wheat. Never tried the brioche for a larger loaf but if you have the covid flour I would try it. (we just had a 25Lb bag delivered last week. Bread ON!)

1 Like Save    

'Covid flour', lol. Meant if you have expendable flour to experiment, it should do a nice loaf me thinks? Having 25 lbs now we are not hesitant to make anything... but out of eggs. (face palm to forehead)

3 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Lynda, I don't know how you keep up with everything when it grows year round!!

Sleeve, Covid flour LOL. 25 lb yikes! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it all.

Shirl...Awesome baking!!

Tonite was simple....sausages, peppers and onions. Hey, on my plate, too! I spared you looking at my cast iron.

I see on our local butcher's FB page that they have eggplants on for .99 each. I like buying them at that price, vs .99/lb that they sell in stores.

Ruthanna's Caponata coming up soon!

1 Like Save    
Solsthumper

‘Salió mal el pancito.’ ¡Corta, corta!’

‘The little bread didn’t turn out.’ Cut! Cut!’

I’d say the bread fared better 😉 That had to hurt.

Sol

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

@sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA), would you share you recipe for the sandwich loaf made in a Pullman pan, please. I have a Pullman that I have not used yet. TIA.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Edie ... there is a spy called 'blossom set' that I have found works very well ...

I have found it at earl may garden centers ... lasts a long time

quick spritz on each blossom

1 Like Save    
plllog

I finally got hold of a really good chicken, so made a proper roast chicken dinner. Mary's heirloom, brushed with plum sauce and Szechuan restaurant mustard, sprinkled with lots of lemon pepper blend and fines herbes, on a bed of sliced Spanish onion, carrot chunks, and sliced fennel bulb with fronds on. I'm not good at this pictures of dinner thing, but it's prettier raw anyway. :)

4 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Plllog, it's so nice to see you posting on this thread!! That's twice now, does this mean you'll become a regular, or at least a semi-regular? :-)

Your chicken dinner looks perfect! I love the idea of using fennel.

1 Like Save    

That chicken does look really good. I am interested in the "brushed with plum sauce" -- what kind of plum sauce do you use?

1 Like Save    
plllog

Thanks, Jasdip! Usually, I don't have anything I think is post worthy, but I'm getting better at taking pictures. I've been using the iPad in the kitchen more, which means it's sometimes handy. The raw chicken just looked so pretty with the fennel, I took a picture, and I was so excited to have a proper chicken, I wanted to share. The heirloom chickens are bigger than I usually prefer, but this was a really good tasting chicken, I support the concept of heirloom (I really dislike the chickens with the humongous breasts and vestigial legs), and since I can't go to the butcher, and have to have a shrink wrapped chicken, at least I can be sure of what's inside. Full, single chicken giblets too, neck, heart, liver, gizzard, one of each, like it should be (into the bag in the freezer with the spine for stock). The fennel started as "I need to cook the fennel" and turned into just adding it to the chicken. It worked really well. It was on the sides, rather than under, and got good and roasty, and lent a nice aroma to the chicken.

Thanks, Lynda. This is actually my usual way of roasting a chicken--bed of veg, inc. whatever needs using (though in this case most of the fennel is in its own bag for use in other dishes), and "suntan lotion" which has some oil and some sugar. My poor fridge is overstuffed, so I'm not allowed to add a bottle before I remove one, or I'd make something better balanced. The plum sauce is just a regular grocery store jar. I think SunLuck. So the sugar and oil of the sauce is to help crisp up and flavor the skin, and the mustard on top was to keep the high sugar content from scorching. It worked. It's very dark, but not charred, perfectly crisp, and very tasty. :)

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Yummm... Chicken looks so good.

Bragu, thanks for the tip. If those silly plants keep spitting the blossoms I will get some of that to try.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Got my caponata made for tomorrow's dinner! This was a favourite of hubby's in the summer. I'm looking forward to having it with the chicken breast tomorrow night. I added artichoke hearts for more meatiness.

2 Likes Save    
seagrass_gw

That looks delicious, Jasdip. Can you post the recipe?

Save    
Jasdip

I"m tied up right now for the evening, Seagrass. But it's Ruthanna's Caponata. You can try a search for it.

Save    
neely

I’d forgotten about Caponata Jasdip. Usually go for the ratatouille. Thank for jogging my memory it looks yummy. Going to make this when I get my hands on an eggplant.

Save    
Jasdip

I've yet to make ratatouille Neely. You reminded me of that. :-)

The recipe says to cook it for 10 minutes but I do longer, I like the vegetables softened.

1 Like Save    

@walnutcreek, here is the pullman loaf recipe I use, HERE. I printed out a hard copy and crossed out the honey. I add two heaping tBsp powdered milk to the warm water. Butter needs to be soft room temp, not melted. I don't stock so many different flours, especially now. But do have regular whole wheat in the freezer for the 1/2 cup. (the butter and milk adds just the right sweetness for us.)

Next loaf will be a entirely new flour I've never used, but I have 25 lbs. Yikes. Hope we like it.

Save    

Wow, that was fast. Just noticed we are at 103 posts.

I agree about how some great tasting meals are a bit ugly on the plate but taste good. No problem here. It's been that way forever. Visual and less descriptive. Rarely use anything but my cell phone. Always hot plates from the oven so no time to get fussy. Cold salads I might plate a bit more carefully. Especially lunch salads with nice natural light.

Save    
seagrass_gw

Jasdip - thank you!

1 Like Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Thank you, sleevendog.

Save    

Tonight we had shrimp scampi over couscous with shallots and red bell pepper. This is my husband's signature dish. My contribution was the couscous. Fortunately, we both like to cook.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Casual Farmhouse Looks, Pro-Style Amenities
Appliances worthy of a trained chef meet laid-back country charm in a Connecticut kitchen and pantry
Full Story
Dining Rooms Sit Down to the 15 Most Popular Dining Room Photos of 2016
These spaces — breakfast nooks, formal dining rooms and open-plan areas — make meals a stylish experience
Full Story
Homes Around the World My Houzz: Modern Living on an 18th-Century German Farm
A family enjoys a half-timbered home with original details, eclectic decor, a gorgeous garden and room for pets
Full Story
With over 20 years of experience in Stone Masonry working in Fairfield County, we work closely with you by taking... Read More
By developing both the design and build processes simultaneously, xerØ group aims to ensure that the outcomes we... Read More