SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Can a hosta have too many roots? Diamond Lake

I bought Diamond Lake last year. I love large frilly hosta! But like many of you, I never got around to repotting it or finding a place in the garden before winter. So I overwintered it in the same pot.

So this year it didn't look good. More time seemed to tell me it was dead. So I just left it alone. But just days ago I see life! Okay, but something must be up with this hosta. This is really late to begin to grow.

I removed the media yesterday and it took me a LONG time to do it. Frustrating! I have never seen such a network of roots before except for one time---with my Twilight. Finally found the crown---slightly soft. Looked like roots were growing over the crown. I tried to free the crown of the roots. Then I couldn't find the crown again!

My plan is to dry the crown out a bit today; repot it trying to separate as many roots as I can. Any other suggestions? Personally I think this hosta would be best placed in the garden. I won't do that though because (1) no space (2) if it goes in, then something else has to go out and (3) my plan is to keep it in a pot for a couple more years (or more) to see if it is virused.

Looks like one eye rotted (center). Three new eyes coming (one on each side, one near the middle towards the back.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!