SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
albajojo

Professional Asbestos Abatement contractor left mastic & tiles

Alba Jo
3 years ago

A licensed abatement contractor left tiles and sticky mastic all over our basement. It’s like wet, smelly road tar down there a week after the work was done. The 2-3 man crew did the work over 2 days and were here for approximately 3-4 hours each day, thus 8 hours max. They say I agreed to let them leave it but my general contractor was on the phone when I told everyone to “stay the course, scope stays the same, price stays the same.” We had 2 bids, both were $3700, which is a ton for the square footage but we knew the heated floor and leveling agent added a good deal of work plus had stair treads removed. Please tell me if you have experience or advice with an abatement situation like this. We have not paid the contractor that left this result and have contracted with another one who was disgusted by this and promised to properly abate and remove everything. We had 2 bids, both were $3700, which is a ton for the square footage but we knew that removing the heated floor added a good deal of work. I don’t know if I should pay the first contractor for part of the work when I’ve got to pay another one to finish it, am now over 3 weeks behind on renovation plus added cost of window AC since we cannot run the furnace. Plus, it’s impossible walk down there without your shoes sticking to the floor. I wore plastic bags over mine to take these photos and it seemed through the bags. I can’t imagine asking another (non-abatement) contractor to work in this environment. I will paste contractor’s email and my after photos below. Thanks for advice for dealing with contractor #1 and Happy Memorial Day! : I received S’s Air monitoring results yesterday( all was good).There will be a copy in you paperwork sent out today with bill. I have deducted $1,000 dollars from quote to provide for the cost of not doing the main area of mastic. S noted that there was still tile- like flooring left and right side of basement fireplace and furnace.That is not tile, that is the by -product of the mastic (cutback) and roofing felt that the put down in the 40s to get an even floor on unfinished concrete. As we talked about those two things with the weight of the additional layered flooring and floor heating system on top caused those two petroleum based products to fuse together then slightly harden. (It is a bit more prominent there because of added heat from fireplace and furnace). When your contractor is done with jack hammering and installing drain in the area we chiseled and chemically removed, have him use Ardex brand Floor Leveler to get a nice finish that will cover the patching and mastic. I would only use the Ardex Brand instead of a cheaper brand. It works best ive seen it finished in hospitals and schools and it looks great and holds up over the years. Ardex is approx $55 a bag and you will need about 12-15 bags so that refund should cover it and some of the labor? I will be gone for the holiday weekend but you can send email if you have any question ill be back in Pgh Tues. Thank you and have a safe and happy holiday , X

Comments (12)