Bird identification

socks

I'll start by apologizing for asking for help with no picture.

Working in the shade garden, I would hear a buzzing from inside a bush, a little creepy. Not a rattlesnake, but didn't seem like a bird call either. Yesterday I spotted the bird, very small, slim rather than chubby. Canary size or smaller. This morning, much to my surprise, I saw it disappear inside the birdhouse shown in the picture, which is very low to the ground.

I'm looking in my bird book and found chipping sparrow and wonder if that could be it. It has a longish white line above its eye. I sat near the birdhouse a while to get a pic, but must be taking morning nap. It hangs out on the bird bath sometimes.

Any thoughts?

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado

I don’t THINK that there are any cavity nesting sparrows, and chipping sparrows certainly are not. They also have a very distinctive rusty red crown that stands out much more than the white eyebrow.

It sounds like it could be a wren of some kind, especially if it is useing the bird house.

Save     Thanked by socks
socks

Thank you for your reply. I'll try to get a photo. I was just out, caught her scurrying over the rocks, maybe trying to lure me away from birdhouse.

Edited: Could be Bewick's Wren

Save    
socks

Finally got some pics. There might be 2 birds.

Save    
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

Carolina Wren.

tj

1 Like Save     Thanked by socks
socks

Does the Carolina wren live in Southern California?

Save    
ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado

No, it's an eastern bird. Bewick's would be more appropriate for your area at this time of year, possibly Pacific wren depending on how far south you are in California. Regardless you definitely have a wren!

If the bird house is being used, there is probably two birds, the male and female! Congratulations! Having birds chose your yard to raise their babies is quite an honor, in my opinion.

1 Like Save    
socks

I'm fairly sure it's Bewick's. All the descriptions I read match up. Thanks for helping point the way. Little things mean a lot these days.

1 Like Save    
RescueMom

I was going to say Carolina wren based on the pic, but then I read your location. We have lots of Carolinas here in the northeast and I have one couple who lives in my shrubs outside my deck. Carolinas don’t have white “eyeliner”, though. So I looked up the Bewick’s after reading the responses. Your bird could have been the “model” for the perfect specimen of a Bewick’s wren!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening for Butterflies A Quick-Start Guide to Bird-Watching for Fun and Learning
Set out some seed and grab your field guide. Bird-watching is an easy, entertaining and educational activity for the whole family
Full Story
Gardening Guides Backyard Birds: Create a Home for American Kestrels
These copper-colored birds of prey can be found throughout North and South America and often find habitats near human activity
Full Story
Gardening for Birds Wild Birds Transform a Woman’s Garden and Life
How Sharon Sorenson created a wildlife haven and became the Bird Lady of Southern Indiana
Full Story
Whether it's traditional or transitional design motifs, Barbara works closely with clients to discern their needs... Read More
At Bull Run Kitchen and Bath, we are dedicated to providing professional service and work hard to ensure that our... Read More