SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_139226926

Advice after landscapers mangled rose bush

HU-139226926
3 years ago

We have a large rose bush in our front yard that unfortunately the landscapers we hired last summer (2019) mangled/butchered. It was previously very large, lush, and wide. Unbeknownst to us when we hired this crew to do some trimming and weed pulling, they cut off a substantial portion of the branches/leaves. This year, the roses have come in, but the rose bush appears more like a tall tree/bouquet in its overall shape. In other words, the bottom portion looks like a brown "trunk" with a flourish of roses at the top (and the overall appearance is lopsided because of the poor job they did). I'm not sure what to do and am seeking advice; I don't want to trim it further for fear of losing what's left. But I'm also not sure if we're ever going to regain the growth in the lower part and if the rose bush will have a wide/broad/full appearance again (as opposed to simply growing taller and remaining narrow in the lower part; I don't know if that poses a problem for the growth/health of the plant if it's not growing outward and laterally to the degree it was previously since the growth has been redirected to the top). I'm including some before (2018) and after (2020) photos so you can see what we're dealing with. I have no experience gardening so I'm looking for advice in terms of whether to prune again (and if so, pointers on where) or if we can expect the plant to regain its former shape in a few years if we leave it as is. Thanks in advance for any insights people have; I've never successfully grown roses before so am not sure what to do!

Comments (5)