SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forever_now

Cabinet over a chimney style hood - too strange?

4 years ago

I'm curious if anyone has ever seen a picture of this done? To try to illustrate what I mean, in this picture below I pulled from the web, you see a smaller upper cabinet over the lower-uppers. What if instead of going to the ceiling there was another small upper-upper cabinet above the hood? Would this look really strange do you think?

We are ready to move onto the next stage of our kitchen remodel, building the upper cabinets and cabinets around the fridge. Our ceilings are just shy of 10ft and DH was wanting to take all upper cabinets all the way up. Originally DH wanted to do an OTR microwave. I think I have finally convinced him to do a hood. One reason I really wanted a range hood is because the range is just to the left of the window and a cabinet with microwave or hood would butt right up against the frame and I'm trying to preserve whatever breathing room I can around it, especially with cabinets going to the ceiling I'm trying to avoid things feeling crowded. I felt that an inverted Y shaped chimney hood would pull away from the window and not crowd it like a cabinet/OTR would. I did wonder about putting a small upper-upper cabinet (for wont of a better description) in line with the upper cabinets above the height of the window. There isn't a strong need for this, though it might help mask the fact that the chimney duct will have a bend in it, and its otherwise makes for a really long chimney. I definitely don't want any cabinets that go over the windows. Here's a shot of the kitchen to-date. Still need to build the pantry cabinet, cabinet over fridge and uppers to left of the range. Also, still need all doors and drawer fronts.

Comments (21)