SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Crack in rye bread

Lars
3 years ago

I made this bread yesterday, and as you can see, there is a crack running through it. This was caused mainly because I folded the dough over to make it fit into the pan, and I had let the dough rise in a buttered pan, so that it would not stick. Well, it did not stick in the rising bowl, and it did not stick to itself after I folded it over.

What should I have done differently? I used one tablespoon of olive oil in the bread, 2 cups bread flour, 1-1/4 cups whole wheat, 1-3/4 cups rye flour, 1/2 cup semolina, 2 tbsp VWG, 2-1/8 cups water, some dried onion flakes, 1 tbsp sugar, 1-3/4 tsp IDY, and 1 tbsp salt. I heated one cup of the water with the caraway seeds and then added the onion flakes to rehydrate them.

I think I have had this happen before, but I can't remember, although I am sure I've only had it happen when I make rye bread. I normally make it in a Pullman pan, but I don't have that here, and so I baked it in a new Pyrex pan that I was able to get at Ace Hardware in Palm Springs. This was the only bread pan they had, and the grocery stores only had disposable aluminum loaf pans.

The bread tastes good and had a good texture, but it is not very practical for making sandwiches.

Comments (19)