SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lori_b96

What can I do in this area of backyard?

Lori B
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have a 1 acre rectangular lot. Previous owners took a big chunk of the corners of backyard and planted evergreens and let it get kind of wild. They put some kind of mulch that is more of broken shells than wood chips. We‘ve lost some of the evergreens. its just a mess now. I love the hostas and day lillies. We added some more shrubs to fill in a bit. Mulching the whole area would be so expensive. I would love to fill the majority of both areas with all kinds of different hostas. Someone in our neighborhood has something similar and it’s gorgeous once they all bloom and fill in. My plan was to keep watching for people splitting their hostas and just keep adding. Thinking I’d need about 100 in each area. Would take several years. My problem is previous owner installed this nightmare of a weed barrier. It’s woven plastic that is nearly impossible to cut through. Planting is the easy part, that barrier is awful It’s about 3” down. My husband suggested I have a couple truckloads of dirt brought in to build up over the weed barrier and plant over it. Can I do that? Any suggestions?

Comments (6)