SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krisbry

Inducton Cookware: Fissler v. Demeyre 5 v. Zwillings Aurora v. ???

Kristin S
3 years ago

We finally have a moving date for our new construction house - two weeks from today! And I realized that four of my pans aren't induction compatible, which gives me two weeks to replace at least some of them. I currently have 1.5 and 3.5 quart pots and a 2.25 quart sauce pan and a 12" nonstick everyday pan. For now I think I'm good with a 1.5/2 qt. and 3.5/4 qt. pots and an 12" high sided everyday pan. I'm looking for good quality, but also price conscious (I think the Demeyre Atlantis is out for cost reasons).

So far I've looked at the Demeyre Industry 5, the Zwillings Aurora, and the Fissler Profi. Practically speaking, what the difference between the all-clad construction and the disk bottom of Fissler?

I've seen a number of recommendations for the Cuisinart MultiClad, but noted it's just 3-ply. How big a difference does this make in practice?

Any recommendations for a 12" nonstock high-sided frying pan or everyday pan? I've looked at Demeyre AluPro, ScanPan, and Zwillings. This needs to be a true nonstick - I also have enameled cast iron, which I love but my husband does not, so we also need a traditional nonstick for this one pan.

Comments (22)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

I like my Fissler Profi tremendously. I have loved a ScanPan for nonstick, though I have given that up and find a hot stainless pan with butter and salt does just fine with omelettes.

Kristin S thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • plllog
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have a variety of pots an pans. For my own cooking style, I prefer enamelled cast iron for most things (especially wet things), bare cast iron for some things (frying and searing), carbon steel for eggy things from omelettes to pancakes/crepes, and Demeyere clad for a few things (griddle, skillet and one right sized little pot for rice). Enamelled steel stockpot (watch out and stir lest you scorch when boiling) and roasters. I was using enamelled cast iron on electric, then gas, and now induction. My preferred shape changed for induction--wider, flatter bottom--but I just like the way it cooks. Good, multilayer clad is probably the evenest. Thin steel (carbon or enamel) is the most reactive. Cast iron takes longest to heat up, but holds its heat best.

I've tried pans with an "induction disk" in the bottom, but non-compatible sides, and I don't get the point. The sides barely heat up. If you're getting clad stainless, and have the budget to be picky, get the clad that goes up the sides. I can't imagine preferring a pot that doesn't get hot on the sides.

Cookware doesn't have to be expensive to cook well. Top quality cast iron is thinner, and therefore quicker to adjust temperature than cheaper, thicker, but Lodge, for instance, still cooks well. Seven layer clad from Demeyere really does have a leg up on five layer, but both are quality products. Three layer cooks, but isn't as even and more likely to whine. Since you're talking about a few basic pots, I'd say try to get the ones you really really want, if your moving budget permits.

Kristin S thanked plllog
  • Kristin S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sounds like the Cuisinart multi-clad is out, which is what I'd mostly assumed. The Zwillings ends up being just a few dollars cheaper than the Demeyre Industry 5, so I think the Demeyre is winning for now. Then it's down to Fissler and Demeyre. (I'd love to throw the Demeyre seven layer in the mix, but I think that's out for cost reasons, especially since I'm campaigning to replace a couple of sofas sooner rather than later, as it seems silly to pay to move them when they'll be replaced within a year).

I love my Lodge enameled cast iron, but my husband isn't a big fan for some reason, and since the things he makes (pasta sauce, pot stickers, etc.) pretty much all use the big 12" pan, we want to make sure it's a good one. But also durable and not too expensive, since he rarely remembers to treat it carefully. I'm thinking maybe ScanPan, or I've heard good things about a relatively inexpensive Circulon model.

• Kristin S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Now the big question - is William Sonoma going to have a cookware sale anytime soon? Or a good promo deal? Last year they had both their semi-annual cookware sale in mid-March and a buy-more-save-more sale. Either would be lovely. And, I supposed, the question of if they do have one, will Demeyre be included. Sigh.

• M Miller
    3 years ago

I cannot stand pans with the thick disk bottom like Fissler. If you have food cooking up the sides of a pan such as a sauce or stew, there is a marked difference in temperature of the sides vs. the disk bottom. Even with the best of the disk bottom pans, and the best of the induction cooktops. It's cheaper for the manufacturers to make a pot with a disc bottom than to clad up the sides, even for a good manufacturer like Fissler, it's the cheaper way.

I love my 2 Demeyere pots, but Demeyere makes both styles - clad and disk bottom, for different lines. I have the clad. Extremely expensive, that's why I only have 2. But I think they're great. Sur La Table used to have sales on them, not sure if they still do.

For a non-stick frying pan, I agree with Zalco about ScanPan. I prefer their phenolic handle to their metal handle because the handle is much lighter and ergonomic - most of the ScanPans come in both styles of handles. I have actually migrated to using a carbon steel pan, and now prefer it; over time, you start getting really accustomed to carbon steel, and don't want to use anything else for a slippery surface.

• plllog
    3 years ago

If you look around, you'll find a lot of good deals. Retail is hurting, unfortunately. Check the Zwillings website. They have great prices on Staub enamelled cast iron and Demeyere, plus clearance on some Staub. https://www.zwilling.com/us/cookware/

Also try the big department stores, like Bloomingdale's, and small specialty shops. If there's a good cookware shop in your area, give them a call and see if they have good prices and can do curbside delivery or similar.

You may be able to afford both the 7-ply and the sofas. :)

• donna_in_sask
    3 years ago

I had a non-stick Scanpan frying pan and found it to be just like any other non-stick but 3-4x the price. The interior surface didn't last any longer anyway. I do have Scanpan saucepans that are really good, CXS is the model and they are clad, not disc bottom. The only thing I don't like is that there is no pouring lip so it can be a bit messy when pouring out liquids.

Check out Zwilling.com for Demeyere Atlantis because they have reduced prices for their sets and individual pieces. Consider the weight of the extra cladding and if that would be a good fit or not. I would avoid any disc bottom pan; I hated dealing with hot spots and the resulting mess.

Kristin S thanked donna_in_sask
  • Gooster
    3 years ago

There are many fans of Fissler and quality disk based pans on induction. The bottoms generally have a sandwiched layer of aluminum that is thicker than the bottom on a clad pan. But then you run into the problem on the sides (which is worse on gas, where you can get scorching).

I have Demeyere Atlantis and Industry/5Plus. The Industry line has 3mm sides, thicker than All-Clad or Cuinsard Multiply, and is built in Belgium. Zwilling, which owns Demeyere, has the Aurora in the same thickness but is made in their factory in Indonesia, and without the Silvonix surface treatment and uses a riveted construction. The Silvonix helps with the release and against temperature staining. The Demeyere is also known for not having rivets, which helps with interior cleanup. Cutlery and More is another site that has good coupon sales and good service. W&S will occasionally throw a 25% off sale, but often Demeyere is excluded.

Kristin S thanked Gooster
  • Kristin S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Gooster How do you find the Demeyre Atlantis v. the Industry? Is the Atlantis worth the additional cost?

• Gooster
    3 years ago

The Atlantis is a bit more responsive and I use my stockpot all the time. But the Industry/5Plus (same design, different handle) are a better value for the clad designs, except for the frying pans. The Atlantis/Proline frying pans are much thicker than the Industry/5Plus lines, but at the expense of weight and responsiveness.

Kristin S thanked Gooster
  • plllog
    3 years ago

Good point. My Proline skillet is really badly balanced. I always forget that. It's otherwise a fab pan. Fab. And goes in the DW, unlike bare cast iron. ;) The finish is nice, but the hidden rivets is the best feature. I HATE the rivets on All-Clad. With a passion.

• Kristin S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I decided to go with the Demeyere Industry 5, and then discovered it is backordered on Williams Sonoma and out of stock on Zwillings own site. That prompted some panic (because I certainly can't wait until August to have pots that work), but thanks to Gooster's recommendation I managed to track it down at Cutlery and More. I think I'm going to try Zwillings for the nonstick saute pan - it gets great reviews.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I will look into expanding my cookware from Induction recommendations on this site. I have been happy with my All-Clad skillets, but hey... they may be wonderful or something else may even be more wonderful. Thank you for this thread.

• plllog
    3 years ago

Artemis, I doubt there's another clad pot that cooks better than All-Clad, though you might check about which whine worse. My dislike for All-Clad is the design, rivets, etc. I don't find them comfortable pots to cook in, but that's subjective. OTOH, cast iron and steel are a different experience than clad, and you might enjoy them.

• Shannon_WI
    3 years ago

I agree with Plllog mostly except that I think there are other clad pots that cook better than All-Clad. What I dislike the most about All-Clad are the handles which I find are needlessly difficult to grip - at least for their stainless steel line - to the point where I ended up selling mine on eBay. I believe the All-Clad D3 and D5 have different handles, so maybe they are better. The Demeyere Atlantis clad pans have wonderful handles, and also the excellent Silvinox finish, but they are very pricey.

• Kristin S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, All-Clad was never in the running for me because I strongly dislike their handles.

• Joe Collins
    3 years ago

Through my 1st year with my Viking series five six burner cooktop. Truly a learning curve on this beast. Did lots of research for induction cookware. Have a mixed bag. Ten piece original profi set plus a steamer basket from fissler. Love this stuff. Hear complaints that its to heavy. But that's the point for induction cooktops. When units cycles on and off less heat loss. Also have Demeyere large saucier pan. One of my go go on daily basis. Non stick skillets are All Clad 8 and 10", same deal heavy bottoms and sides. And yes all the above does get hot on the sides. An 11" fissler nonstick I like better the the AC as I am not a fan of rivets along with others. Dialing in non sticking the fissler ss skillets and a deep Debuyer carbon steel pan. Great as a small wok. Have my share of cast iron too. An old top and bottom Griswold chicken fryer. It fries, broils, bakes and was born for induction. This thing cooks! A 3 and 5.5 qt Staub dutch oven and Staub all day pan. All get lots of work. La Creuset 12" griddle and a Lodge round griddle round out the iron. Not a daily driver but when the urge for lots of pancakes or grilled cheese and such food I recently bought a Sur La Table La Marque 84 flat oven pan. Covers two burners and yes real heavy works great on my induction. Found all cookware on sale, some at yard sales and even traded some non induction for stuff that works for me.

If my opinion matters I really like everything I'm using. Not brand loyal as I do find heavy bottom and sides work better for induction, SS steel or non stick. Heavy metal lids over glass. Don't see the point of glass since it just steams up. No rivets is my preference. The Fissler set looks really cool and up to this point after a year of daily cooking it is the best stuff out there.

Pick what you want, be sure it will get used. If it just takes up space, why?

i

• phil loubere
    3 years ago

Be aware that the company doesn't respond to customer service inquiries. We ordered several items from them, one of which arrived damaged. Repeated attempts by email, phone and through their website were never answered.

• lizbeth-gardener
    3 years ago

phil loubere, which company are you referring to?

• phil loubere
    3 years ago

Fissler

• lizbeth-gardener
    3 years ago

Thanks!