SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theejackalope

Retrofit Window: Add Flashing to Building Void before stucco?

thee jackalope
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We have recently had two retrofit windows installed (wood clad vinyl); in each instance they fit and were mounted directly to the existing wood frame (have included photo of one). There was formerly wood trim around the exterior of these windows. We chose to remove this; the goal is to run stucco up to the window edge (no molding) for a more traditional look. On removal, however, we were surprised to see that the void (approx 1/2" wide) between the window frames and base building evidently have no flashing or similar water barrier/carrier (see photo). Now, generally speaking these windows have been okay through the years (even in SoCal there is rain, but leaks have been few), but with this opened up it seems like we should treat it in some way before covering to increase the ability to protect the interior/window frame. There is some evidence of previous mold on the frame for sure, but no extensive rot or damage. The retro window company advises that if we want it done 100% correctly we are likely looking at pulling the windows and installing a new frame (and associated flashing) from scratch. Don't want to do that. The stucco team has limited experience with window frames/flashing, and this is too small a job for a GC or builder, so I have both a physical and a scope gap. As such, hoping the Houzz mind might advise -- what should we be sure to do (or definitely NOT do) with/in this void before it's covered in stucco (or even new trim for that matter)? Seems I can at least put some closed cell backer rod in there against air, but I know that does nothing for water. Am I overthinking this, and will a good stucco layer (or well-caulked trim, with caps, etc) be enough for our occasional (though heavy) rain showers? Thanks for any guidance!

Comments (2)