SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_47798884

Trex / Composite Decking?

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Tell me what you think of composite decking, and the pros / cons. Concerns include: looking good, traction, and easier maintenance? I saw a Trex deck about 10 years ago and thought it looked super fake, but maybe it has improved it since then. The fakeness was because there were no color variations, so it looked like wood painted opaque brown. Maybe the newer styles with color variations look better?

This is for a front porch & steps. I'm tempted to get real wood, but it gets TONS of pine needles, pollen, sap, etc and has to be cleaned often. This is in Seattle, so consider 3 seasons of rain. In the winter there's a small amount of snow scraping, damaging rock salt, etc. I understand composite could withstand all of that abuse better and require less maintenance. I worry that with real wood, I'll be touching up stain and sealer way too often.

So... is composite decking worth it? Tell me your opinions. Include brands / types if you can.

Trex Select (in Tiki Torch) is the first product I got a quote for. Looks great in photos but I need people's opinions!

Comments (8)