SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanatocnl

Composite Deck Rugs

nanatocnl
5 years ago

We have a brand new TREX composite deck.

I ordered 2 rugs that are polypropylene. A friend casually asked if there were any issues with rugs on a deck that gets so hot. Got me concerned. In calling TREX, and on their website, they are vague as what type of rugs can be used without damaging the deck. No rubber or latex backed, makes sense. Their input on polypropylene "in rare cases these rugs may pull colorant out of the deck". No other input, like whether this material, that is made of plastic, could melt to a deck that gets so hot (we live in the Northeast).

Well with that kind of caveat - tough for me to use them, as who wants to take the chance of ruining a $20K deck?

When deciding on TREX vs replacing again with cedar, never entered my mind there are so many caveats with this type of deck. Plus it gets a lot hotter than our old wood deck. I used to be able to walk on the wood to get to our pool, now not even possible when the sun is out.

Does anyone have any feedback on rugs for composite decking that will not cause a problem?

Comment (1)