SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bosewichte

Cool-weather seeds in warm weather, direct sowing, and more ?

bosewichte
3 years ago

I'm in zone 6a. This is my first year growing (flowers) from seed. I tried winter-sowing and had some mishaps, so not as many seedlings to put out as I'd hoped. I've cold-stratified a big bag of perennial seeds and am ready to plant those outside next week (when the temp is FINALLY getting into the 80s during the day and 50s/60s at night)...as well as all of my annuals. But I've just been reading that some annuals are "cold soil" seeds - poppies, bee's friend, calendula, bachelor's buttons, larkspur, sweet peas, nasturtium, etc. Does that mean that they need cold stratification and CANNOT be direct in mid-May? Should I just sow those seeds in October here? We've had a REALLY cold spring here, with a frost just yesterday, but I figure 80 degree weather will warm the soil up pretty quickly. The space I'm working with gets full sun.

Also, am I wasting my seeds by sowing my perennials so late? Next year I plan to have an indoor grow-light system, but this year I have no choice but to direct sow those seeds. Some have a pretty long lag in germination, but we also have a fairly long growing season (last year, we didn't get a frost until nearly mid-October and flower garden still looked pretty nice!). I did start some cosmos 2 weeks ago and the seedlings are already about an inch tall...but still, quite a while before they flower.

I have a HUGE space for planting...a 65' x 65' field. I'm planning on making it into a big cutting garden. I'm starting from scratch, so I don't want to miss a season or waste seeds by planting incorrectly. My original plan was cold-stratify all perennials and direct-sow them with the annuals after our last frost date. A big goal is getting enough performance to be able to collect the seeds in the fall, to expand the garden and use the extras in seed trades.

Please advise. Thank you!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County