SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
travisaz

Porch light detrimental to potted citrus?

Travis in PHX (9b)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Title says most of it.

I've put my two potted citrus (Meyer lemon and grapefruit) on my front porch to give them morning sun and then afternoon shade from the sweltering conditions in Phoenix right now (and for the next four months). But...my porch has two overhead LED lights that are automatically activated by ambient light levels. They are a requirement for the community and are wired into the house somehow. There is no way for me to turn them off.

They are not the brightest lights (I'll try and take a picture of them tonight), they are nowhere near photosynthesis-inducing levels, but I know a lot of foliage can still be disrupted if not given distinct light and dark periods (for example, longer light conditions signals "summer" to the plant and triggers associated biochemical processes, plants "wake up" for daylight and "rest" at night). The lights are 9-10' overhead and the containers are about 2' in front of them. The front of the trees are pretty sheltered overnight but the back of the trees stay illuminated. Since the lights are built-in LEDs, I don't know the precise color temperature, but they look somewhat warm to me. Do you think this is likely to overly stress the plants?

Comments (28)