SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

To blow dry, or not to blow dry, that is the question

eld6161
3 years ago

As salons begin to work out the terms of reopening, there is an issue with using the hair dryer.

Some say heat will kill the germs, other think it might spread germs.

What to do? For DH it’s a no brained. He can easily have wash, cut and go..

I’m not that easy. I still have my hair colored, then cut. Things will get dicey if I don’t have it blown out. Is the color okay? Is my hair styled right or does it need more trimming?

What are are your thought on this first world problem?

Comments (45)

• Suzieque
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

From what I understand, the virus isn't airborne; it has to be spread by some type of contact. So if your stylist (or other patron) has the virus and is close enough to you to do your hair (color it, wash it, cut it), whether or not the dryer spreads or kills the virus is moot. You'd still be close enough to get it. My opinion.

eld6161 thanked Suzieque
  • dedtired
    3 years ago

I’m sincerely hoping my salon will take measures to keep things as sanitized as possible. I think the chairs need to be wiped down between clients. Masks, of course. Limited number of people I. The salon at any one time. As for the dryer, I don’t know. It’s the one thing that I notice is not usually cleaned between customers. My hair is straight as a stick so I can easily dry it myself at home. It’s the cut that matters. Right now I am going for the Rapunzel look and touching up my own roots. It will be at least a few more weeks before my salon opens.

eld6161 thanked dedtired
  • Related Discussions

Leaf blower, lot more useful than just blowing leaves

Q

Comments (6)
    Guys, I saw Caddy Shack with Bill Murray years ago........he did his abode cleaning with one if you recall! The garage and car thing plus under the mower deck is the best and it gets water out of all those crevices that leave water marks drying other ways. I have a barrel that I burn twigs in and occasionally it won't burn well because of one reason or the other; use this leaf blower as a bellows and you will have the fire you want in minutes..scary good, just keep away a few feet. QuickRick
    ...See More

Dend loddigesii - did I blow it?

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi Kevin - I just took a close look, and my plant has many new growths starting at root level, as well as new keikis forming on the tips of old canes. It must always do this, because it is always treated the same and blooms each spring without fail. Unlike Nick, I don't fertilize it in winter, but I don't fertilize anything else, either. I give it good light in winter, more so than while it's actively growing. Also like Nick, I've had years when it flowers sparsely; don't know if it is a temperature-related thing or just its style. Heck, we only get good pecan crops every other year, same with pomegranates. Cheers - Nancy
    ...See More

Maytag Dryer Blowing Thermal Fuses

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks. I posted on that forum and got a helpful reply. My problem seems to be the long vent duct which must be cleaned very often. Due to the location of the dryer, cannot reroute the duct and there is no space for a booster fan. Please disregard this posting.
    ...See More

Paper towels or blow dry hands?

Q

Comments (28)
    Posted by jennmonkey: What I refuse to touch are those old fashioned ones where the same piece of material just keeps coming back around, having dried by the time it's back to the front. You don't really believe that do you? Or were you just kidding? Sometimes I can't tell when people are just joking around. The machines have a CLEAN roll inserted that is many feet long. As the towel is used it is wound on an empty spindle. When the clean one runs out it is replaced with another clean roll. The dirty roll is removed and and empty spindle is put in its place to which the end of the clean tool is attached. I prefer those cloth hand towels. They don't wind up all over the floor and sinks like paper ones do. People have been known to throw the paper hand towels in the toilet thus clogging them. The air blowers blow germs all over the room and you have to stand there forever waiting to get the hands dry while people wait behind you to use them.
    ...See More
  • bpath
    3 years ago

I'm not sure why the dryer needs to be cleaned between clients. It never comes into contact with them, only with the stylist.

I wonder how many people will wash their hair before going in? I usually do anyway.

eld6161 thanked bpath
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bpath, my hair needs to be cut wet. My sister who does the Diva cuts, has hers dry.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

To me having someone wash my hair for me is a luxury that I enjoy. Some salons have different pricing for with or without shampooing in this area. I especially like it when few clients are expected/slow day when the stylist takes the time to massage and thoroughly wash and condition my hair.

eld6161 thanked maifleur03
  • Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

My stylist usually cleans up the line a bit after my hair is dried, but I don't think my hair would look that different without the tweaks, so I'm fine to skip the drying. However, it means I can't go anywhere right afterwards which would be inconvenient.

eld6161 thanked Fun2BHere
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And what will happen in the winter months?

maifluer, I also look at gong to a salon as a luxury.. I like my stylist to look stylish herself and I like the salon to be spa like.

Love the scalp massage!!!

• joyfulguy
    3 years ago

While I agree that we've been advised that the main means of transmission is by touch, if the virus isn't transmitted by air, why am I told it's necessary to wear a mask (to keep from my possible nasties perhaps messing up the other guy, rather than for my own protection)?

And when getting near a jogger, breathing heavily, to not only keep the 6 ft/2 metres (which is actually 6' 6") away from the runner, but to steer clear of the breath that s/he pushed out a few seconds ago and has left behind.

While drops tend to fall to the ground fairly quickly ... droplets hang around for some time - you note how fog hangs around for hours?

My view about the blast from the dryer is that while it may kill a few/many/most/dang near all of those wandering viruses ... do you want to take the risk that a few survived?

ole joyful ... long-time survivor

P.S. Do you find it easier to handle hot air blasted at you from machine ... than from people/(friends)?

o j

eld6161 thanked joyfulguy
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"From what I understand, the virus isn't airborne"

I don't think this is correct. My understanding is that It's airborne in exhalation aerosols and droplets. That's what wearing masks is intended to partially assist with. A mask (other than an industrial strength N45 mask) protects people around you from you, not the other way around. The masks most people are wearing provide no protection to the wearer from other people.

I think the risk in a hair salon from dryers is that they would blow around the droplets and aerosols that are already in the air but I don't think that's been studied one way or the other. I doubt that the moment of time the air passes through a dryer would accomplish much, the temperature isn't that high.

One thing I read speculated that risks are greater indoors than out (as in stores), and more so where there's less air flow and fresh air being brought in. As in a closed up retail location like a hair salon.

eld6161 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Suzieque
    3 years ago

>> "From what I understand, the virus isn't airborne"

>> I don't think this is correct. My understanding is that It's airborne in exhalation aerosols and droplets.

Yes, Elmer - that's exactly what I meant. Thanks for saying it better than I did. What I meant was that it doesn't just hang around in the air waiting to be inhaled (or blown from a hair dryer). It has to have come out of someone's mouth or nose in order to be inhaled. Note that I'm talking about the "airborne" issue only, not from touching something then touching your face, etc.

eld6161 thanked Suzieque
  • bpath
    3 years ago

My stylist dampens my hair when I arrive. I'm fine with it not being blown dry, I'll just schedule my day accordingly. But, she may not want me walking out there front door with flat, straight, did I mention flat? hair!

eld6161 thanked bpath
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Suzieq, yes, I think you and Elmer are right. Our DPH head says it is NOT like measles, where an unvaccinated person can simply walk into a room where an infected person has been, breathe, and contract measles. Measles is the more contagious virus by far.

eld6161 thanked bpath
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

I think I will be looking into hairdressers who make house calls once that is permissible/advisable.

eld6161 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Suzieque
    3 years ago

eld6161, while I understand that your question is specifically about dryers, are you not concerned about the stylist being close to you and touching your hair/head? You touching the arms of the chairs, the magazines that others have read, and all of that? Of course, hopefully the salon will have done the appropriate hand washing and be wearing a mask, doing what cleaning they can., but the dryer is only one piece of the whole experience.

eld6161 thanked Suzieque
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

Several of the past articles have mentioned the virus remains alive for an estimated 3 hours when airborne. The articles are from early April so that information may have changed.

I have more concerns about what others have touched. The stylist's chairs where I go are smooth on the arms but the wash ones have arms that have raised cording. Brow waxing is done in the wash areas chairs. It is virtually impossible to disinfect the area that connects the cording to the chair.

eld6161 thanked maifleur03
  • socks
    3 years ago

Maifkeur, I’ve read that too. No surprise that it could be lingering in the air or even recirculated by A/C. We really have a great lack of knowledge about this virus.

eld6161 thanked socks
  • ghostlyvision
    3 years ago

Years ago I came down with a scalp condition within a week or so of a hair cut, since then I forgo the blow dry and come home and wash and vinegar rinse my hair, I'll continue that routine (and maybe throw some disinfectant on it as well lol).

eld6161 thanked ghostlyvision
  • wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

If people are worried about airborn virus at the salon from a hair dryer they probably should just stay home. I plan to go in for the works. My stylist goes in this order, root color, high-lights and low-lights, shampoo, condition, trim and blowout. Sometimes a flat iron, sometimes waves. The salon is large and airy and has roomy divided stations that include a shampoo basin so no one has to wander about. I never leave my chair.

eld6161 thanked wildchild2x2
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Someone who's prudent and follows guidelines from non-politicized public health sources isn't necessarily worried. And someone else who fails to use common sense and ignores publicized guidance, deciding things on their own, isn't necessarily being brave or thoughtful.

• Michael
    3 years ago

I don't have a full head of hair. I can probably hold my breath long enough from start to finish.

eld6161 thanked Michael
  • salonva
    3 years ago

I am even more confused reading this thread. ( I have been going gray for a while so no color needed, and while I could certainly need a shaping/trim, I can put that off for a bit so I am not ansty to get to the salon). I truly was under the impression that the more likely exposure to the virus was through air/breathing. I thought the spread by touch was way more remote.

Yes at the supermarket I wipe down the cart and have been known to use disposable gloves and of course a mask, but I honestly felt that the wiping down the cart was really not necessary.

Reading the wisdom being shared here, it seems more of you are concerned with touching the chair and such.

eld6161 thanked salonva
  • Eileen
    3 years ago

It's more likely to be spread through droplets from a cough or a sneeze that fall on surfaces where it can live for several hours. You then touch it and carry it to the shopping cart handles, door handles, your face, and other surfaces.

eld6161 thanked Eileen
  • Suzieque
    3 years ago

What Toby said.

eld6161 thanked Suzieque
  • Yayagal
    3 years ago

Get a dry haircut, they come out just fine, shorter time there and go home and blow it out yourself.

eld6161 thanked Yayagal
  • chisue
    3 years ago

I can live with going grey and longer hair. I would probably die if contaminated. Easy choice for me.

I'm avoiding other people's breath, including that of a hairdresser. I'm avoiding any virus droplets transferred from her family, her other clients, or anyone else she had recently been near when out and about.

Asymptomatic people with Covid-19 are heavy 'shedders' of the virus. There's no way to know without testing, and that's only good 'in the moment'. A person can even be positive before the test results come back.

eld6161 thanked chisue
  • functionthenlook
    3 years ago

I have an appointment tomorrow in the next state for a hair cut. The only protocols she stated was that I was to wear a mask and gloves. I will update you tomorrow if she washes and blows dry my hair.

Blow dryers don't heat up enough to kill viruses. I don't remember the exact temp that is needed to kill this viruses, but I know it is over 150.

eld6161 thanked functionthenlook
  • lisa_fla
    3 years ago

The salons here met with the governor pushing to reopen. I have no doubt that chairs etc will be sanitary and people can wait in their cars instead of the waiting room. I still wouldn’t go. I don’t want a stylist breathing on me, masked or not. Can they really cut hair on clients wearing masks? They can’t color hair like that? I’m sure I can manage my hair for the next few months and see how things go.

eld6161 thanked lisa_fla
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

After your hair appointment, be sure to toss the mask and gloves - spend the day there shopping. West Virginia has always been a leader as a forward thinking state with I'm sure plenty of people who think like you do.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

The gloves are one time use so they will be tossed, not the mask. I wouldn't have time to go shopping.
    I'm having company tomorrow. I will stop for gas though. It is always cheaper in WV.

• Eileen
    3 years ago

Thank you for helping us reach 70% of infections so we can get to herd immunity sooner. I heard nail salons spread it in California so please consider getting your nails done too.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

You welcome. Yes, herd immunity very is important to put this virus to rest. It is a joy to see the young people together on the trails . In gardening season it is useless to do my nails. Beside I have the supplies to do my own in the winter months.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

There's some herd mentality going on here too. In the absence of clear independent thinking, it's important to be careful what herd one joins.

• Eileen
    3 years ago

Elmer, don't you find it patriotic of those who have to get their hair done, even if it means traveling out of state and bringing germs there and back, so we can reach herd immunity?

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Yes Toby, of course. Such individual acts are characteristic of the kind of leadership we have in abundance right now.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Toby, we live in what is called a tri-state area. It is normal on a daily basis for people to cross over one or two of 3 states borders for
    shopping,employment, entertainment or visiting family.

• Eileen
    3 years ago

Yes, during normal times.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

In all times. People employers are not going to move just because you live in a different state or your family isn't either. If the closest grocery store, drug store or hardware store is in another state then that is where you go. Same with health care. You use the closest medical facilities.

• Eileen
    3 years ago

The topic is haircuts. You are traveling out of state to get your hair cut. A non-essential trip.

Health experts have advised that we even limit our grocery store trips.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

To you it is non-essential. For me it is essential. All business and citizens are essential.

• User
    3 years ago

There are some cities that cross state lines so going into another state doesn't mean much. How about supporting those workers, it's better for them to have a job & receive tips than hope they can survive on their savings. If more was open here I'd be happy to give them my business.

• Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

I need a cut pretty bad but not going in for a long time. Not worth it to me. I do think I'll eventually get it through work, though. Just too many people coming in and out of our tiny office.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    3 years ago

Some local salons are requiring clients to arrive with shampooed, dry hair. They will cut hair only. My hairdresser doesn't do dry cuts and it would be disastrous on my crazy hair anyway. I need the shampoo part - very difficult doing it at home as my ancient tub can't use a shower chair (plus I detest showers!). I could live without the blow dry until it gets cold outside again, but that would certainly be a winter problem!

eld6161 thanked Anglophilia
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well then, that can take care of most men, but I agree Anglo, this just will not work for me.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Well I got my hair cut. Yea! They wash hair if you want . If not she wets your hair with a squirt bottle. They will do dying, perms , etc. And she did use a blow dryer. The chairs are 6 ft apart and customers wear masks and gloves. The stylist also sported a mask. I have short hair so when she was cutting around my ears I held the mask in place and removed the elastic loop on that side.

eld6161 thanked functionthenlook