SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pk_241011

Can I plant wax begonias along with Camellia?

Just Started(Sydney)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have two questions.

So I have nailed together a raised garden bed !! Still a work in progress in terms of creating the soil mix for it.

The dimensions are:

Length: 130 cm

Height: 40 cm

Width: 42 cm

The two camellia's are of variety "Camellia japonica 'Spring Surprise' ".

The spread is about 3m*3m under ideal conditions. Since I have less than ideal conditions in terms of full winter shade and summer light till afternoon situation, I am not expecting them to take off like rockets.

I am planning to put three wax begonias between them. Is it too dense? Or not advisable as roots might interfere?

Second question:

I usually put in the dirt I have dug out mixed with compost and some sand. The ratio I follow is 1 part dirt (sweet sweet clay in my case), 2 parts compost and 1 part sand (Or perlite if it is a touchy plant).

The problem is that now this box is of around 210 lts and I seriously do not have that much of clay (from previous diggigns) to start creating the mix. I know that clay has a bit of a reputation but it does provide a lot of good minerals which organics can't.

The garden soil mixes already have too much of organics in them to the point that mixing compost in it seems an exercise in futility.

So as things stand now, will mixing 2 bags of compost, 1 bag of garden soil and some sand will do the trick?

I do have pine bark but it also starts breaking down after three years. So hesitant to mix that in.

Comments (9)