SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristi_mcdonald

Covered porch -- yay or nay?

Kristi McDonald
4 years ago

I'm in the process of planning out our build of this house plan. I love the outdoor living/covered porch idea, but I don't like how it seems to block a lot of the light coming into the kitchen. I'm toying with different ways to remedy this and would love thoughts/ideas/suggestions! For reference, the sliding glass doors will face South/Southeast.

Here are the ideas I've come up with so far:

1. Stop roof of covered porch before it reaches the sliding glass door off of the kitchen, leaving the area off from the dining room entirely uncovered.
  2. Raise the roof of the covered porch by about 2 ft to let in more light.
  3. Add 2 skylights to the section of the covered porch off of the kitchen/dining area.
  4. Shorten the roof of the covered porch so that it only extends out 3-4 ft instead of 10 ft, allowing enough room to walk to the fully covered portion of the porch toward the front of the house.

Our contractor has said that all of these options are possible provided we decide before framing begins, but I'm wondering which one(s) would be most effective.

I'm battling two desires:

1. To have unobstructed views of the outdoors (mid-century modern style) and lots of natural light in the house.
  2. To have lots of accessible outdoor living space.

Comments (12)